Local Oathkeepers Chapter: Legit or Wannabees?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I was doing some reading on what the Oathkeepers organization as a whole stands for and on the surface it's pretty much what many on this forum state they want. A group that stands armed together, trains together, SHTF preparation together, Communication, have your back, etc'. From the Oathkeepers' web site there are several local chapters throughout New England as well.

Like I indicated on the surface it seems like something worthwhile to be involved with, but under the surface I have to wonder if it's just a bunch of wannabees running around the woods with no real plan or direction. Also, if you get involved in a group like this I have to imagine you put a big red dot on your back with both the local and federal gov't. I have not doubt I'm being tracked in some form already just for being a gun owner, but I'd bet joining an organization on the Gov't watch list has to up the anti.

There seems to be a significant amount of folks who are part of the organization, but I have to wonder if the reward of being part of the group is worth the risk of being part of the group.

What's your thought on them?

I was doing some reading on what the Oathkeepers organization as a whole stands for and on the surface it's pretty much what many on this forum state they want. A group that stands armed together, trains together, SHTF preparation together, Communication, have your back, etc'. From the Oathkeepers' web site there are several local chapters throughout New England as well.

Like I indicated on the surface it seems like something worthwhile to be involved with, but under the surface I have to wonder if it's just a bunch of wannabees running around the woods with no real plan or direction. Also, if you get involved in a group like this I have to imagine you put a big red dot on your back with both the local and federal gov't. I have not doubt I'm being tracked in some form already just for being a gun owner, but I'd bet joining an organization on the Gov't watch list has to up the anti.

There seems to be a significant amount of folks who are part of the organization, but I have to wonder if the reward of being part of the group is worth the risk of being part of the group.

I have listened to their spiel on more then one occasion. Do you really want to know what they are about? Complaining about h0bama. It maybe a good way to meet like minded folks if that is what you are after, but you need to get past the redundant conversations about how the current administration is going to ruin this once great country..., I heard on Hannity..., Hillery Clinton..., the UN..., etc etc.

In my town we had a meet and greet, and about a half dozen people showed up, I was the youngest dude there. Granted this was right after the Bundy Ranch debacle, so I think people were a bit put off by the whole thing. It quickly spiraled into nonsense discussions about 0bama this and 0bama that. The guy that was putting it on was legit trying to push things like HAM training and licensing with scheduled comms checks, gardening, advanced first aid training, emergency travel routes, a little bit of shooting, and it coming back to 0bama.

So no, they are not running through the woods like a bunch of wannabes, they are sitting around a poker table complaining about how much better America was in their days. I would say you are better off finding a group of friends you can rely on, getting everyone up the same speed on the obvious topics that will come in handy, and skip the national hoorah and banner organizations. OK's could be cool and useful, but in my experience, they can't get out of their own way. I will say that I have been told that the MA guys are a little more squared away, but I have no experience with them.

Last edited:
Any organization of decent size and profile (OK qualifies both), is pretty easy to infiltrate. I'm quite certain there are informants up wazoo within Oathkeepers already.

Al Qaeda model is the only viable option: small cells (2-3 people most) operates independently but all cells motivated by the common/similar beliefs.

DC sniper case, Dorner in LA and Frein in PA all tell us the amount of impact a determined individual or two can deliver. Meeting a bunch of people to spill your hatred for the Great Zero simply reduces your opsec and offers no real value.

Any organization of decent size and profile (OK qualifies both), is pretty easy to infiltrate. I'm quite certain there are informants up wazoo within Oathkeepers already.

Al Qaeda model is the only viable option: small cells (2-3 people most) operates independently but all cells motivated by the common/similar beliefs.

DC sniper case, Dorner in LA and Frein in PA all tell us the amount of impact a determined individual or two can deliver. Meeting a bunch of people to spill your hatred for the Great Zero simply reduces your opsec and offers no real value.

Read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress

Personally, I'm glad that Oathkeepers exists, but have no interest in joining.

Also, if you get involved in a group like this I have to imagine you put a big red dot on your back with both the local and federal gov't. I have not doubt I'm being tracked in some form already just for being a gun owner, but I'd bet joining an organization on the Gov't watch list has to up the anti.
OTOH, you're already on a bunch of watch lists, what does one more matter?

Until membership in these groups is known to jeopardize security clearances, NICS checks, or get you on the No Fly List, I wouldn't worry too much about that part. And when these things do start happening, isn't that the raison d'etre of the Oath Keepers ?

Personally, even if I agreed with everything else, they are way into their (often fundamentalist) Christianity:

Last edited by a moderator:
OTOH, you're already on a bunch of watch lists, what does one more matter?

Until membership in these groups is known to jeopardize security clearances, NICS checks, or get you on the No Fly List, I wouldn't worry too much about that part. And when these things do start happening, isn't that the raison d'etre of the Oath Keepers ?

Personally, even if I agreed with everything else, they are way into their (often fundamentalist) Christianity:

There was a 'supposed' case of an OK having issues with child protection services. It made Drudge for a news cycle then disappeared. I lost track of the case because no one would actually talk about the issue involved, the guy just said it was because of his affiliation, CPS wouldn't say anything substantial about the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a 'supposed' case of an OK having issues with child protection services. It made Drudge for a news cycle then disappeared. I lost track of the case because no one would actually talk about the issue involved, the guy just said it was because of his affiliation, CPS wouldn't say anything substantial about the case.

October 2010, Johnathan Irish and Stephanie Taylor in Newborn child in Epsom, NH. There were claims (mostly by Alex Jones and friends) that "A court affidavit stated Jonathan Irish’s association with the Oath Keepers as one of the primary reasons the child was taken. “The Division became aware and confirmed that Mr. Irish associated with a militia known as the Oath Keepers and had purchased several different types of weapons, including a rifle, handgun and taser,” the affidavit states." , The oathkeepers website has since moved or deleted the two Petitions, the Order, and Affidavit item #7 that started the whole thing.
ConcordMonitor said:
State and police officials declined to discuss the matter yesterday, citing privacy concerns.
"It's a juvenile issue, so I can't comment," said Lt. Keith Mitchell of the Concord Police Department.
A spokeswoman for the state Division for Children, Youth and Families said all child protection matters are confidential under New Hampshire statute.
No updates or followup articles after 2010, until Irish goes to prison on unrelated charges in 2014.

October 2010, Johnathan Irish and Stephanie Taylor in Newborn child in Epsom, NH. There were claims (mostly by Alex Jones and friends) that "A court affidavit stated Jonathan Irish’s association with the Oath Keepers as one of the primary reasons the child was taken. “The Division became aware and confirmed that Mr. Irish associated with a militia known as the Oath Keepers and had purchased several different types of weapons, including a rifle, handgun and taser,” the affidavit states." , The oathkeepers website has since moved or deleted the two Petitions, the Order, and Affidavit item #7 that started the whole thing.

No updates or followup articles after 2010, until Irish goes to prison on unrelated charges in 2014.

That's why I said 'supposed'. A lot of ranting and raving, then it went quiet. I'm no fan of CPS, been involved in a case with a co-worker where they flat out lied in court, so I never know what to think when they are involved.

Was it because he was an OK, or was it just the tip of another iceberg?

edit: I've said it before, I'll say it again: I don't need to join an organization to know who I work with and how they feel. If it comes to it, I know where I stand and who will be watching my 6. If others gain my trust, they are welcome to join me.

Last edited:
Most people who sign up and proclaim themselves to be "oathkeepers", never took an oath in the first place.

There's a lot of "guilt patriotism" going around: the biggest flag wavers and "support our troops" folks never served. It's okay by me that they didn't, and no one should feel ashamed for not serving in the military. At the same time, there's a lot of over-compensating going on.

In all honesty do you hate the .gov is that why you want to join. Or do you really want to trust your life to a bunch of people who you meet online if shtf. Neither option is brilliant but I can see the government hate. But trusting people you just meet online or at club events is an excellent way to get yourself shot if the need for the club ever arose

In all honesty do you hate the .gov is that why you want to join. Or do you really want to trust your life to a bunch of people who you meet online if shtf. Neither option is brilliant but I can see the government hate. But trusting people you just meet online or at club events is an excellent way to get yourself shot if the need for the club ever arose

There are people on this board that I have met in person that have become life long friends. These same people I would trust mine and my sons life with. This isn't just an Internet sounding board.

There are people on this board that I have met in person that have become life long friends. These same people I would trust mine and my sons life with. This isn't just an Internet sounding board.

I agree with you for the minority of people here that have gone to various NES events and actually met/talked with/shot with the people behind the usernames.

I've met some, read some of their literature. I see them as pretty harmless. Some people in .gov and LE circles see them as a militia type threat and there may be a few on the fringe like that, I don't know, but I think a lot of them articulate a position that many people here do and probably talk more and commiserate than act. The people I've met seemed like decent patriotic folks that you would enjoy meeting and shooting with at your local gun club or hanging out with at your local veterans organization or fraternal organization. In other words nice people.

As I understand it, the .org started out as LEOs and military who vowed never to violate their oath and not carry out illegal orders. To me that's superfluous in a sense. Now the group is open to anyone who is a veteran using the argument that the oath that vets took is still binding which I don't believe to be true. It is true for .mil retirees but not people honorably discharged. Guess they couldn't find enough people to join do they opened up the membership.

I have no ax to grind with them but like somebody else said if you are interested in supporting 2A issues here in Mass donate Money to Comm2A, join GOAL and at the national level support the NRA, still the 600 lb at the back of the room that the folks down in DC have a healthy trepidation for.

Last edited:
Find actual friends that you know aren't rats, and learn from each other. The Bundy incident should've shown you all you need to know about them. It's like all those III%ers. Every time I see a sticker or patch with that bullcrap, it cracks me up. Legends in their own minds.
I bet you couldn't ask a member of either organization for the time of day, without 5 alphabet soup agencies knowing about it.

Find actual friends that you know aren't rats, and learn from each other. The Bundy incident should've shown you all you need to know about them. It's like all those III%ers. Every time I see a sticker or patch with that bullcrap, it cracks me up. Legends in their own minds.
I bet you couldn't ask a member of either organization for the time of day, without 5 alphabet soup agencies knowing about it.

Yep.

I figure you could make something up yourself with the people you trust.
It's not really that hard to do something that actually makes sense and situations that actually reflect on real life situations. A lot better then to sit with people who whine about the government and run around in the woods like chickens lol

A message just popped up on the local Facebook buy/sell page for the area Oathkeepers. All I could picture was a bunch of older guys hanging around complaining about politics.

Back
Top Bottom