• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local Law Enforcement Talks Gun Control at College Forum (Bennington, VT)

MaverickNH

NES Member
http://www.iberkshires.com/story.php?story_id=36683

"A panel of law enforcement officers will give their perspective on gun-control laws on Monday, Nov. 8, at 7:30 p.m. at Bennington College's Greenwall Auditorium. ...

Recognizing that no one is more affected by gun laws than those who are asked to enforce them, the Four College Issues Forum has gathered a panel that includes Bridget Brennan, special narcotics prosecutor for New York City, Boston Police Superintendent Paul Joyce, retired Bennington Police Chief Richard Gauthier, Pittsfield (Mass.) Police Chief Mike Wynn and North Adams Commissioner of Public Safety E. John Morocco to discuss the ramifications of these decisions [Heller & McDonald] based on their experiences...."

As I said in my comment, if approved to post, the 2ndA isn't about government & law enforcement, it's about keeping government out of the gun control business.

So, does this look like a balanced slate of presenters?

PDs are irrelevant to the gun control debate. How little or how much danger they are in because of liberty doesn't matter. They work for the people. The only thing you need to look at is the 2nd.

Perhaps he'll get a chance to discuss how MA gun law is apparently designed to make felons out of solid citizens, then.

I hope so. If my experiences with him are any indication of his personal leanings, I also hope he runs for public office when he retires as Chief. He's appealing enough to the huddled masses that maybe they wouldn't realize he was laying some Contitutionality down on them against their better judgment. :p

Why? Just because his town is green? Is he willing to give up the power he currently has to decide who can and cannot own handguns??? Most chiefs are not.

Is he willing to give up discretionary licensing? I can't speak to that. He's pretty accessible, so asking him would probably be easy. Bear in mind that Pittsfield was black before Wynn took office.

I can tell you that he wasn't too pleased with one of my responses during our pre-license conversation, and still put me through ALP. Directly hearing some of the things he had to say in a one on one conversation, as well as further interaction with the man at several later dates has led me to believe that he is a strong believer in a man's right to defend himself. A Chief that removes previous restrictions via telephone and grants ALP without any serious questions is about as pro-2A as I'd hope for considering current MA law.

-edit- These opinions are from personal interaction and a little reading on the man's thoughts. What comes about at this meeting could turn my opinions on their heads and prove me wrong, but as yet Wynn has done nothing to curtail anyone's rights in his town, and on the contrary actually seems to be glad to help citizens to exercise said rights within the confines of an embarrassing set of laws. Could I be proven wrong? Absolutely. We'll see I guess. [grin]

Last edited:
Recognizing that no one is more affected by gun laws than those who are asked to enforce them

This statement makes me want to vomit. [angry]

-Mike

Recognizing that no one is more affected by gun laws than those who are asked to enforce them.

I disagree with the premise. They are not affected one iota.

B

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom