Local gunsmith to thread barrel and attach a comp?

CMEBoston

NES Member
My buddy has an M&P sport, we are weighing the choices between Cutting and threading the 16" barrel he has now or buying a new assembled barrel. Currently the barrel is naked but has a A2 sight post that would be replaced with a rail type FSB . Any recommendations on shops around the south shore to do the work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, sounds like the place to go! No rush we will call them after the holidays. Happy new year !

unless your going for a particular break and gas block.....you coud split the front sight tower and use a bolt on gas block. ? Funny at the cost of some barrel assemblies you might as well buy a upper you like.

Well there is no break or comp on it now, just a plain M&P barrel, so now would be the time to replace the gas block/sight. wecan remove it pretty easily since there is no brake pinned or welded.
It's not my gun or my call, but he wants to go with an aim point, and does not want any kind of co-witness ( can't say I blame him) so it's either a gas block with a rail, cut the sight post off the gas block and put a longer rail on it or go with this sexy sight....... Personally I want to Try this sight on my upper build.
uvyme5yh.jpg

I can't think changing a gas block, threading a barrel, buying a comp paying for the labor then installing it all on a $80 BCM blemished upper would be as much money as a complete BCM or equivalent compete upper assembly....
Plus we can use whatever gas block and comp we choose.

I can't think changing a gas block, threading a barrel, buying a comp paying for the labor then installing it all on a $80 BCM blemished upper would be as much money as a complete BCM or equivalent compete upper assembly....
Plus we can use whatever gas block and comp we choose.

this might be true all depends on the labor and parts selected. I know its not your rifle and people do what they want BUT i will say it anyway. Dont people buy the sport to save money ? So your going to buy another stripped upper rec. (why) vs just re using the sports? then strip barrel send out to gun smith and have barrel threaded and install your choice of gas block and muzzle device. and still be left with a some what low level barrel ? If money is not a issue then carry on if not my advice to you is take the estimated money to do this and invest in more ammo. shoot the shit out of m&p then when shes worn out, buy or build the upper you really want ?

Is the M&P a low level barrel? I was under the impression that the smith and Wesson ARs were quality, even the sport. The non sports are milspec, or that's how I understand it.
l
The sport upper does not have a trap door or forward assist, he wants a trap door and forward assist. I could change out the upper and gas block myself no problem, I don't Have the equipment to thread the barrel though. Lets face it a decent mil spec upper complete is close to $600, more if you want a good rail and flip
Up sights. Plus it's not very DIYish to just swap uppers. And then again, you get an upper with whatever rail and sights are available, or in stock from whatever company you order it from. There is something to be said when you do the work yourself, it's not always about the money.

Last edited:
Is the M&P a low level barrel? I was under the impression that the smith and Wesson ARs were quality, even the sport. The non sports are milspec, or that's how I understand it.
l
The sport upper does not have a trap door or forward assist, he wants a trap door and forward assist. I could change out the upper and gas block myself no problem, I don't Have the equipment to thread the barrel though. Lets face it a decent mil spec upper complete is close to $600, more if you want a good rail and flip
Up sights. Plus it's not very DIYish to just swap uppers. And then again, you get an upper with whatever rail and sights are available, or in stock from whatever company you order it from. There is something to be said when you do the work yourself, it's not always about the money.

If its not about the money then carry on. I hear you on assembling what you want. I may be wrong but there's only a few places to cut cost to the point of the S&W sport or other inexpensive entry level guns in general.
S&W has done this by eliminating some machine work and parts. Lack of forward assist and dust cover machining and parts. What else can they save cost on.....barrel. I'm in no way implying the barrels are junk. Just saying they are the least expensive barrels Smith and Wesson could contract.
Milspec doesn't mean good quality. If you look at the "milspec " standards for m4s and M855 ammunition . Well you will see that milspec is good enough to put hit on target from x -y distance. Milspec is just that good enough to the military specifications that is set?
I have not found any information about who Smith uses for barrels on the sport. Just pushing the melonite finish.

In the end I think you could build a better quality upper by putting that gun smithing money to a better barrel. You could blind pin and weld the muzzle device yourself.
I have come to like my ar,'s with out any muzzle devices.

Last edited:
Just add to the decission process....how well does this particular sport shoot ? There are a lot of sports at the club and have not seen any shooting very well. No one is claiming crazy small groups with theirs anyways. If you happen to have a barrel on the sport that can put 10 shots in the 10 OR x ring of a SR1 target @ 100 yards it just might be a keeper. Group any better than that I wouldnt touch it!

What's the purpose of putting a muzzle break on it? Is it recoiling too much?

He shot my bushmaster and my colt, and he liked the lack of recoil, muzzle rise and the look.
I'm sure I could pin the muzzle brake for him John but I can't cut the threads.
Don't matter apparently he should have bought a colt lol.....
To the replies telling me who can cut threads in the barrel, thanks. As far as the replies about the economics, hassle, quality and reasoning..... Opinions are like *******s, we all have them and most stink, that's why the thread didn't ask for yours.

Just add to the decission process....how well does this particular sport shoot ? There are a lot of sports at the club and have not seen any shooting very well. No one is claiming crazy small groups with theirs anyways. If you happen to have a barrel on the sport that can put 10 shots in the 10 OR x ring of a SR1 target @ 100 yards it just might be a keeper. Group any better than that I wouldnt touch it!

I didn't ask for help deciding John, I asked for a referral.

Sorry LOL.... in your op you said you where weighing in your choices....no. any how as noted its not about the money and I understand the build part. Carry on

Last edited:
My buddy has an M&P sport, we are weighing the choices between Cutting and threading the 16" barrel he has now or buying a new assembled barrel. Currently the barrel is naked but has a A2 sight post that would be replaced with a rail type FSB . Any recommendations on shops around the south shore to do the work?

I think your first response was the best. Looks like it'll run ya $160 to thread the barrel and mount a brake at 1776.

See your 1st sentence seems like you where in limbo on a decision to go with a new barrel and build or cut the sport barrel...LOL

My buddy has an M&P sport, we are weighing the choices between Cutting and threading the 16" barrel he has now or buying a new assembled barrel. Currently the barrel is naked but has a A2 sight post that would be replaced with a rail type FSB . ...

Interested in his "naked" 16" barrel with A2, if he wants to sell it. PM me.

Interested in his "naked" 16" barrel with A2, if he wants to sell it. PM me.

Funny thing is, he bought a complete upper today on an impulse buy and I already grabbed the M&P upper :p complete with BCG... But I know it's just a POS and I'm wasting my time putting it in the BCM M4 upper I have laying around ;)

See your 1st sentence seems like you where in limbo on a decision to go with a new barrel and build or cut the sport barrel...LOL

Right, and when I call the shops I asked for a referal about I can weigh myself if its worth it, and since I will be owning that upper shorty I will call 1776 and find out how much to thread it for me.

Have you considered threading yourself http://preciseinnovationsllc.com/threadinginstructions.htm easy on me now...

I did not consider it when the barrel was not mine, I didn't want to take that liability. Depending on the price of that kit and wether the barrel needs to be turned down I would actually consider doing it myself. But if its relatively short money to have it done at 1776 I'd probably go that route.
Now I need to find me a lower and an LPK..... On to AR #3!

You just missed a lower buy (PSA lowers at 70$ all in) PPF might have an extra or two.

As for the LPK, check out PSA, they had some for $30 recently.

You just missed a lower buy (PSA lowers at 70$ all in) PPF might have an extra or two.

As for the LPK, check out PSA, they had some for $30 recently.

Thanks for the heads up on the LPK! I think I'm going with an %80 for a lower

Back
Top Bottom