• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local gunsmith to chop a 16" AR Barrel to 14.5 and pin.

E.Stoner

NES Member
So I have a 1992 Colt preban AR that I bought with new upper and a bushmaster CHF 16" carbine barrel that I have been turning in to an M4 Block 2 clone. I kind of want it to have a 14.5 barrel with a pin/welded brake and trying to decide if it's worth it to chop the barrel or just buy and new barrel.
Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith within an hour of the Boston metro area that does this?

Saxonville Armory, in Saxonville (North Framingham, essentially).

It's right off Route 9, they do magic with ARs, and have done that exact job for me twice with great success.

I can't recommend David enough. Whether you have him build a new barrel, or a new upper, or work with what you've got, you will not be dissapointed.

if your'e looking for a 14.5" build just go wight a lightweight barrel like the BCM 14.5" lightweight or a faxon 14.5 that comes with brake pin-welded. either way my rec would be to Tim at G&N in Wrentham. I've been using him for years and every project has turned out excellent.

With the current low prices of barrels I can't see paying a Smith to cut thread and pin and weld.
Unless it's like $40

if your'e looking for a 14.5" build just go wight a lightweight barrel like the BCM 14.5" lightweight or a faxon 14.5 that comes with brake pin-welded. either way my rec would be to Tim at G&N in Wrentham. I've been using him for years and every project has turned out excellent.

Well said here.

Thanks for all the input. I would love to get a BCM 14.5 M4 SOCOM complete upper with a pinned mod 1 comp but the bastards dont ship to Mass.
This isn't an insurmountable problem as much as it is a royal pain in the rectum.
I am not in love with the Bushy upper/barrel and figured that if it's significantly less than $[600-900] for BCM rig to chop the barrel at least I could make the upper more fun ...and it would look cooler, because if it doesn't look cool really what is the point of anything. [laugh]

I'll run it by Tim next time I stop by.

i will never understand the purpose of a socom profile barrel in semi auto unless someone just likes heavy rifles.

i will never understand the purpose of a socom profile barrel in semi auto unless someone just likes heavy rifles.

1. Mag dump.
2. Mag dump.
3. Mag dump.
4. Mag dump.
5. Mag dump.
6. Mag dump.
7. Mag dump.
8. Mag dump.
9. Mag dump.
....and so on and so forth. [laugh]

I am generally a fan of lighter barrels tho.

I'd buy a new barrel. The price difference isn't going to be a huge difference and you'll get to keep the original barrel in case you ever want to put it back or build another. My $.02

Current Market value to thread an AR barrel is about $120, an additional $40 for a pin and weld, and many places will charge you hourly "assembly labor" on top of that. It is usually cheaper/less work to buy the barrel you want than to thread a used barrel, assuming you don't want a high end match grade item. FFLs can also still get shipments of a lot of AR parts that "wont ship to MA", I order BCM stuff for my customers frequently. There are also populated Colt M4 barrel assemblies on Brownells right now in the ~ $130 range. Any gunsmithing shop should be able to swap out an AR barrel for you in an hour of labor or less.

Current Market value to thread an AR barrel is about $120, an additional $40 for a pin and weld, and many places will charge you hourly "assembly labor" on top of that. It is usually cheaper/less work to buy the barrel you want than to thread a used barrel, assuming you don't want a high end match grade item. FFLs can also still get shipments of a lot of AR parts that "wont ship to MA", I order BCM stuff for my customers frequently. There are also populated Colt M4 barrel assemblies on Brownells right now in the ~ $130 range. Any gunsmithing shop should be able to swap out an AR barrel for you in an hour of labor or less.

OK this makes total sense. Buying a new barrel assembly is the way to go. I can swap it myself and then just get it pinned and welded.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom