• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local food resources

If there should be a general failure of the food supply, how long would it be until the local flocks of Canada Geese disappeared? How long until the whitetails stopped eating the ivy in my back yard?

What is your definition of food supply? I think most of those animals are pretty hardy and would find other stuffs. So if our (human) food supply runs dry... I think humans would be dying like flies, and the wild animals would be thriving.

Food supply is what is sitting in the pantry, basement etc. If it isnt already there it doesnt count.

Deer will last less than 2 months is my estimate. Probably a lot less. I dont think there will be a deer left from Portland thru NJ. Lots of hungry people with guns. When you look at the amount of meat you get from a deer if it is dressed out properly it is not going to keep a family going for long. Never mind that most people wouldnt know what to do with it once it is dead. I repaired a rifle for a friend of mine and he asked about preps. Gave him a quick rundown and when we talked about food he brought up his deer in the yard. Asked him what he would do once he shot it. Answer was call me. Asked him how he would preserve it. Not a clue. Most people fall into this category. The animals saving grace may be is that most people dont know how to shoot well and dont have a lot of ammo.

Smaller animals might stand a chance but doubtful.

I think even domesticated animals like sheep, pigs cattle etc would be in trouble. Farmers would need to keep their animals close for a while. Same goes with folks and their gardens. If it isnt close and cant be guarded it is fair game. This is one of the reasons for shotting for multi year preps. First year you sit tight, hide and let the masses starve.

I personally will be shooting the deer that frequent my backyard in the event TSHTF. I figure that while I wouldnt need the meat for a while, I would rather have it canned in my basement than sitting on someone elses table. Same goes for the squirrels.

Back in 1970, when I'd been in Vietnam for a while, I realized that I didn't see any birds. It's possible that they were all done in by Agent Orange, but I suspect that a lot of birds had found their way in the stewpot. This observation has made me wondering why I don't hear about the local population getting in trouble for harvesting Canada geese. Pigeons, too, come to that.

I would think an urban hunter with a .17 air gun could live on pigeon.

I've been guilty of buying expensive wheat but I saw a youtube video the other day recommending buying plain wheat from a farmer's supply store (like chicken feed or something as long as it was plain wheat without pesticides). I think it was only filtered twice (vice 3 times for human consumption) but in an emergency it would work great and you'd only pay a fraction of the price to store it up.

I agree about all the animals, domesitc and wild, disappearing quickly, though. I also think many people will flock to farms in search of food as well. If you even plant a garden the first year, you might spend as much time defending it as tending to it.

Deer would probably disappear pretty quick in that event. Trapping of small game, birds, and fish will be the choice of some to supplement stored food... letting the traps do the work and quietly sneaking in to peek. Less time and effort than hunting and lower profile.

The Indians used acorns as an emergency food source. The tannin must be removed before eating: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay79.html

We have started a network here on the island I live on. The purpose to help each other grow our own food and trade/share the excess bounty with others. It take 1 acres of land to feed 30 people. So with a pop of 3000 we need about 100 acres. That is so very doable here. WE have also gotten a geo map of the fertal farming land acres here too. We do have a few farms that could easily add more cows and such. There is fishing and shelled seafood here aswell. So I think if all fails on the outside word. We could sustain ourselfs if people come to terms with reality.

What we have started in my family of 3 last year

started a 2000 Square foot garden with beds
built a chicken coup for chickens this spring. Bought my incubator and ordering or a friend will give me my chicks
Doubled my pantry ad it is full
Bought a foodsaver
Finshing off the rootceller.
Added another woodstove to the house
connected with a friend to share with the wood cutting. Will share the wood we cut together.
5 yrs this FEB we got rid of TV
Picked up a meatgrinder and do all our own hamburger
hooked up with a guy who sells organic cow, lamb and chickens. ( will be trading or buying with him this year)

Thats some of the thigns we have done I have more but this is not the time or place.

Don

We have had a garden for a few years now, and I have been canning and freezing.
This last year we decided for 2009 we are expanding our homestead once again. We are expanding the garden area alot. I will once again be raising chickens and pigs, and as we set up housing and fencing we will probably add more animals such as goats and sheep.
We will be putting it back to the original homestead and be raising most of our food.

That will probably remain viable for a while. Once fuel runs out there will be few people who can get out. A decent sailboat or sturdy dory would go a long way towards providing food.

Man fished before we had gas bro. I'm sure we can still do it. :)

What I have done this week:

Bought my seeds for this years harvest. Hope to get seeds from this years harvest so I can do seed to seed. I bought organic from a small farm. I will not buy from Monsanto at all.

Been a cold week so not much done other than a ton of reading.

Don
\

Yeah we'd love to do solar, also interested in wind.

There has recently been some really good progress made in the Solar cell field (improved conversion of sunlight to energy), and for some reason I am kind of loathe tor rely on just wind energy, at least down here in FL.

Anyone know of some good books about how to get seeds from what you harvest? The Mrs. and I are really interested in this aspect.

It would definitely be a combo if we went that way. Solar and wind. Where my brother lives they are getting into wind power I guess big time. There are quite a few wind farms going up.

It would definitely be a combo if we went that way. Solar and wind. Where my brother lives they are getting into wind power I guess big time. There are quite a few wind farms going up.

Thats the way to go. I guess one of the Scandinavian Countries is HUGE into wind power but found out, at least on a large scale, that its best to have it only be something from 10-20% of your total production given the fluctuating amounts of power it creates.

And I have a simple request for those who are putting up gardens, how about some pics about the layout and such, at least after they have grown some. I am kind of weird but I like pics of gardens (probably from watching to many 'Victory Garden' shows on PBS).

Nah, I'll see what we can do later this year for pics. We are expanding one garden area and making a bunch of new garden area. I like Victory garden too. I was also fascinated with the gardens at Old Sturbridge Village.
I actually have a pic of our house when it was the original homestead and the area on the side of our house was all garden, which is somewhat of what we are going to do again.

survival

I moved in 2000.wondered why I bought 90 acres.I know now.rent 9 acres for crops,pays my taxes.got 4 deer in freezer and 3 freezers with vegtables.
far enuf from road to see any one coming.first warm day will install my wireless cameras.[grin]

Any one have any book recommendations for a young couple that rents as opposed to owning land? Other than stocking up on canned food and water, what can we do?

Any one have any book recommendations for a young couple that rents as opposed to owning land? Other than stocking up on canned food and water, what can we do?

Bottom line: What you know how to do is going to make more difference than what you have.

I moved in 2000.wondered why I bought 90 acres.I know now.rent 9 acres for crops,pays my taxes.got 4 deer in freezer and 3 freezers with vegtables.
far enuf from road to see any one coming.first warm day will install my wireless cameras.[grin]

Got a room for rent? [smile] ...no seriously do you?

Back
Top Bottom