• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local crappie fishing

I catch a ton of crappie at the pond I fish at and I've heard they are great eating. My question is does anyone keep and eat them around here? And if so how do I know if the water is clean enough to eat fish from?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The respective state wildlife divisions have this info on their websites. Generally the amounts they say are safe to consume are, IMO, a little on the conservative side. It's mainly the levels of heavy metals, (eg. mercury) they are concerned with. Pan fry them in butter and whatever else suits your fancy. Just don't eat 3 dozen!

I went 40 years without hardly eating any fresh water fish besides the occasional trout..A few years ago at a bass fishing tourney in Maine a few guys brought in a bunch of crappie..I offered to cook it up for them..Seasoned up so flour..Egg wash and then into Panko..15 crappie lasted about 4 seconds with the group that had gathered around while I was cooking!! The next day it was more like a Crappie fishing tourney for a bunch of us [laugh] Dont think you could eat enough to hurt you

Back
Top Bottom