• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loads for 147gr Black Moly 9mm.

Has any one got a load for 147gr Black Moly coated 9mm using one of these powders?

Unique, W231, Universal Clays or Red Dot?

I'm not adverse at all to going out and getting a another powder is please feel free to list one.

Plus if you could list the OAL too it would be appreciated..

I haven't used any moly coated bullets, but I have loaded some 147 gr hard cast lead. 3.0 gr of WW 231 will give you about 850 fps. I use this load for IPSC minor caliber (Production Class) practice.

I haven't used any moly coated bullets, but I have loaded some 147 gr hard cast lead. 3.0 gr of WW 231 will give you about 850 fps. I use this load for IPSC minor caliber (Production Class) practice.

PS I meant to say 850 fps out of a four inch barrel.

There is a ton of reloading information (sections dedicated to each caliber) on brianenos.com (in the forum section). Search there and you should find lots of loads.

I use 125 gr black poly coated bullets with W231 for IDPA. Normally I'd tell you to go to Hodgdon Reloading Center but it looks like they only have a load with WSF for 147gr lead. Like someone already mentioned search around BrianEnos. I seem to recall an extensive thread about poly coated 147s using Solo1000 powder.

Here's the Brian Enos forum thread that was referred to:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96746&hl=9mm+147+moly

However, let me add my usual warning and suggestion:

DO NOT take any load data from the internet or from anyone who hasn't personally confirmed pressures, etc. While they all may be well meaning, it doesn't take much to make a typo or other simple mistake to get you in trouble.

Here's my suggestion: Call the powder manufacturer and ask them for your specific load data. They are the ones with the means to do the official pressure testing, and will likely be able to give you powder weights for your load.

Thanks for that advice. I already read that thread from the Enos site and looked around for Solo 1000 with no luck. Some of the local gun shops I called actually said they had never heard of it.

I guess I'm stuck using the Universal. A week of searching didn't yield very much information about black moly bullet loads.

DID YOU CALL THE POWDER MANUFACTURER????

They would have given you the info you seek, in one phone call.

Thanks for that advice. I already read that thread from the Enos site and looked around for Solo 1000 with no luck. Some of the local gun shops I called actually said they had never heard of it.

I guess I'm stuck using the Universal. A week of searching didn't yield very much information about black moly bullet loads.

WOW!! Those bullets are fast! I use 3.8gr of 231 with my Berrys plated out of my Glock 34! I could probably make PF easily with a little less but 231 slows down with lower temps and my gun seems to like a PF >130

WOW!! Those bullets are fast! I use 3.8gr of 231 with my Berrys plated out of my Glock 34! I could probably make PF easily with a little less but 231 slows down with lower temps and my gun seems to like a PF >130

What weight bullet and what velocity do you get with it?

Glock 34, 147gr Berrys, 3.8gr W231, WSP primer, 1.155" COL, 70 degrees, 10/9/2008

About 135PF, ~920f/s

Glock 34, 147gr Berrys, 3.8gr W231, WSP primer, 1.155" COL, 70 degrees, 10/9/2008

About 135PF, ~920f/s

MY mistake. I checked my data and found that I got 820 not 850 (147 gr lead/3.0 WW 231).
PS The reason your 34 likes a 130 pf or more may be because you are using the stock 17 lb recoil spring. 125 pf loads work best with a 15 or 13 lb spring.

MY mistake. I checked my data and found that I got 820 not 850 (147 gr lead/3.0 WW 231).
PS The reason your 34 likes a 130 pf or more may be because you are using the stock 17 lb recoil spring. 125 pf loads work best with a 15 or 13 lb spring.

I use a 13lb, sometimes a 12lb recoil spring. I could go lighter on the powder I suppose.

I use a 13lb, sometimes a 12lb recoil spring. I could go lighter on the powder I suppose.

Nah...you definitely don't need to go lighter...your loads are powder-puff enough as it is..

In fact, I think you should up your PF a bit...maybe start using some power pistol... I might be able to catch up to you then with all that recoil...haha

SP

I've been using 4.2 of Unique with Brinnell 12 cast 147 grainers for right about 910 fps average. This out of a full size M&P.

Just two observations:

1. If - again, IF - you are planning to shoot them in a ported and/or comp'ed gun - reconsider. The manufacturer of the poly-coated bullets I use says NOT to use them in such guns. The maker of my Open gun also says jacketed bullets ONLY.

2. For powders, cooler (read: slower) is better. For example, the above bullet manufacturer expressly states NOT to use TiteGroup, as it is too hot. I use WST in both my .40 and .45 loads (170+ PF) with no accuracy problems.

I loaded the 147gr Moly Coated bullets with 3.2grs of Universal and tried them out. I used a Sig P226, nice light recoil with the Sig, no smoke, Sig was real clean after a 100 rounds. Over all it was just a real bad load not because of the powder but because the bullet just didn't produce any where near good accuracy.

I wouldn't recommend them to any one.

Back
Top Bottom