Loading w/plated bullets for 30-30 . . .

30-30-150gr-RS.jpg
bul30cal.gif

Just wondering if anyone is using Berry’s (or other) plated bullets for loading 30-30 ammo for lever action rifle? I’ve only used bullets with a cannelure in the past. Berry’s doesn’t have a cannelure on them and I believe Berry’s instructions state that you shouldn’t use a “tight” crimp (may cut through the thin plating) so what’s to keep them from moving either deeper or possibly shallower in the casing when firing out of a lever action? Would a “light” crimp be enough to do the job? I would like to use these if there wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any info on this.

If you intend to use them in a rifle with a tubular magazine, they should be crimped. You can single load them in the chamber, or in a Contender with no problem. Lee does sell a factory crimp die that they say does not require a cannelure on the bullet.

I've seen where plated hand gun bullets in excess of 1400 fps and a medium crimp have had their plating seperate from the core.

I think a 30-30 might have a muzzle velocity of about 2200-2300 fps. Let us know how that works out, would you?

Respectfully,

jkelly

I've seen where plated hand gun bullets in excess of 1400 fps and a medium crimp have had their plating seperate from the core.

I think a 30-30 might have a muzzle velocity of about 2200-2300 fps. Let us know how that works out, would you?

Respectfully,

jkelly

I called Berrys on this matter - not for the .30-30, but for the .500 Magnum and .30 Carbine. These calibers are plated differently to create a much thicker "jacket" that allows them to be used in the 2000 fps range.

I's call them and ask for the speed limit on the .30-030s.

Thanks folks for your suggestions and info about these bullets, I sure can use it.

I retraced back to the Berry’s site to see if they had some info that I missed. I guess a “snug” roll crimp should suffice for my needs and they want you to use only a light to medium charge, not a full charge of powder when loading their plated bullets. I would think that if the 30-30's velocity is 2400 with jacketed ammo then I should load them to 1600 with plated.​

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is there no cannelure in your bullets?
Plated bullets are very difficult to cannelure. It requires an extra step after the plating and if not done carefully can ruin the plating. We only put a cannelure in two bullets (45-70 and 500 S&W). You shouldn't need a cannelure on our other bullets. If you feel the need, you can use a snug roll crimp to keep bullets in place. Just ensure you don't get the roll too tight such that it severs the plating and destroys the bullet.

How fast can I shoot these bullets?
Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.

Last edited:
It might be time to think about bullet casting.
I shoot a 175 gr cast bullet at velocities right around 1800 fps, in several .30 cal rifles with no problem.
They are cast of range scrap and water dropped for a little extra hardness.
If I make my own gas checks, they are aproximately free, otherwise about .04 each.
A plain based cast bullet should do 1200-1400 fps with no problems.
I figure about 2 hours to cast and lube a couple of hundred bullets.
At today's bullet prices, it doesn't take long to pay for a small lead pot and Lee mould.
If you are shooting them in a Marlin Micro-groove barrel, you might want to check out Ranch Dog moulds for special designs for the Micro groove barrel.

Jack

Good Lord, casting bullets . . . I’m moving at glacial speed now getting the reloading going, I’d never get a single bullet reloaded if I had to cast them too! It would be a decent idea for someone on the ball but I go about things in a slow and deliberate manner. I don’t believe I’ll ever be shooting as much in the future as I did in the past to justify casting my own. Thanks for the suggestion though.​

Back
Top Bottom