• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loading question

Patriot

NES Member
I want to load up a cast H&G #36 and there is no information about this obscure mold anywhere on the web or in
conventional literature. It is a 158 grain button nosed wad cutter. The complete bullet is measured at 1.385" when
loaded into a .38 Spl case (I want to use the crimp grove). I have load data for the powder I'm using for a 158gr
LSWC but that round is longer than my cast with most (not all) of the additional length in the nose (see below).

158 GR. CAST LSWC Winchester WST .358" 1.475" 3.3 705 12,800 PSI 3.7 770 15,700 PSI

View attachment 16400

I'm going to go with the LSWC loading above. Anyone see anything wrong with that approach?

I would think that you would be OK starting with the start load data for that data, doing a test fire, and then work up load from there.

Crimping into the crimp groove is normal, and that somewhat tosses out any overall length discussion. But, "normal" cast bullets for the 38 should have about the same length BEHIND the crimp groove. Since the weight is the same, and since it's lead:lead comparison, you should be OK.

If you have two other 38 cast bullets, check if the length behind the crimp groove is the same.

SAAMI pressure limit for 38 special is 17,000 psi. So, your starting load, even if it bumps up the pressure a bit, should still be well under.

+P limit is 20,000 which should maybe be considered the real don't go above number.

Your recipe is more like the 12,800 psi range. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom