• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

loading for my AR 15

Webster. Been to HELL and back A few times
I just started loading about 6 weeks ago I have loaded only 30-06,40s&w,45acp,45colt,300wby. I just started loading for my AR 15 I wanted to seat the bullets just off the lands (.005)(.010) would that be a problem in service rilfes? I had loaded 100 at magazine length with 69gn sierraMK in five shot groups, the smallest group was .546 and largest was 1.045 if I measured right, outside to outside of the furthest bullets, but I think I can shrink that up, but I don't want to test anything out before I can get some advice, I had modified the magazine so it will take 6 bulltes at longer O.A.L. my local dealer told me that im jumping into it to fast. I had just got my LTC less than a year ago.

I load only rounds that will function in the magazine as that is how I intend to use them. Using Sierra 69gr HPBT bullets loaded to 2.250 I have shot five shot groups of .343 in at 100yds and 2.25 in at 300yds, good enough for me.

I just started loading about 6 weeks ago I have loaded only 30-06,40s&w,45acp,45colt,300wby. I just started loading for my AR 15 I wanted to seat the bullets just off the lands (.005)(.010) would that be a problem in service rilfes?

I will also be testing some 75gn A-max witch brings me back to the question.
But your group does sound like its really good especially if that satify's you, I just want to get better. I always think i can get better no matter what.

Last edited:
I just started loading for my AR 15 I wanted to seat the bullets just off the lands (.005)(.010) would that be a problem in service rilfes? I had loaded 100 at magazine length with 69gn sierraMK in five shot groups, the smallest group was .546 and largest was 1.045 if I measured right, outside to outside of the furthest bullets,

Seating the bullet close to the lands is common, but usually done with a bullet that isn't meant to used in a magazine (80gr Sierra's, etc.). I've never tried seating magazine bullets out that far, so I don't know if it would increase accuracy or not. Sierra bullets are known to tolerate a lot of jump.

Generally, group size is determined by a center-to-center measurement. Take the outside distance between your furthest shots and subtract the diameter of the bullet you are shooting. Your largest group of 1.045 is what i would call a .82 (1.045 minus .224 = .821). To me, that sounds like a good load. Unless you are mounting a scope, it's pretty darn tough to shoot groups under an inch with the service rifle.

Thank you for that info. I actually bought that already . I had bought everything I needed in three purchases, It was a big chunk of money ALOT. I purchased more than I needed I think, I got everything pretty much covered. I was actually thinking about purchasing the Dillon 650 as my last thing, most of the stuff I had purchased was from SINCLAIR,MIDWAY,and CABELAS and a really nice culver from Harrell's the classic.Thanks for the info as long as I know I'm safe with seating close to the lands in a service rifle I'm good. I will probably be making some test rounds for most of my night and most of my day off tomorrow with 75gn A-max 77gn&80gn nosler custom comp. I appreciate the help and advice

I have never tried seating just off the lands on an autoloader, just the bolt guns and I am assuming you are not crimping them so I don't think you want them cycling thru the action even if they will feed. Get a single shot follower for your magazine and load them one at a time. I use them in the bolt guns, it keeps the round in alignment with the chamber so the bullet does not get banged up or pushed farther into the case. Just my opinion, good luck.

Thank you for that info. I actually bought that already . I had bought everything I needed in three purchases, It was a big chunk of money ALOT. I purchased more than I needed I think, I got everything pretty much covered. I was actually thinking about purchasing the Dillon 650 as my last thing, most of the stuff I had purchased was from SINCLAIR,MIDWAY,and CABELAS and a really nice culver from Harrell's the classic.Thanks for the info as long as I know I'm safe with seating close to the lands in a service rifle I'm good. I will probably be making some test rounds for most of my night and most of my day off tomorrow with 75gn A-max 77gn&80gn nosler custom comp. I appreciate the help and advice

Don't forget about Brownells.

Brownell's

I don't know about "best" - their prices can be beat very often and their reloading equipment is pretty meager compared to the likes of Sinclair or Midway USA.

They do have a large inventory of non-reloading related items, so if i can't get something in stock for less I'll sometimes pay Brownell's higher rate if they have an item in stock.

I don't know about "best" - their prices can be beat very often and their reloading equipment is pretty meager compared to the likes of Sinclair or Midway USA.

They do have a large inventory of non-reloading related items, so if i can't get something in stock for less I'll sometimes pay Brownell's higher rate if they have an item in stock.

Brownells doesn't sell reloading equipment, just gunsmithing tools and gun parts. Great customer support; one of the best outfits I have ever done business with.

Back
Top Bottom