Loading for IDPA

Lopro

NES Member
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area if so please move me.[grin] I have been loading for a couple of years and would like to get into shooting in the IDPA, just signed up for the introductory class at Harvard Gun Club in March so my question is what bullet weight would work better st ? 155,180,200 gr. and does FMJ or straight lead or does it matter? Like I said new at this sorry if its been posted before.

Lopro- I could tell you what works best for me, but I can't. LOL Seriously- whatever works best for you- really. As long as you make Power Factor all is good.

Now on the lead/FMJ... I use plated or CMJ all time- indoors and out. I wish everyone would do this... my lead levels would appreciate it.

OK, ok. I like heavy bullets fwiw.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area if so please move me.[grin] I have been loading for a couple of years and would like to get into shooting in the IDPA, just signed up for the introductory class at Harvard Gun Club in March so my question is what bullet weight would work better st ? 155,180,200 gr. and does FMJ or straight lead or does it matter? Like I said new at this sorry if its been posted before.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

Respectfully,
jkelly

Thanks everyone , I will be using a Full size Smith & Wesson M & P 40 cal , also have a Storm Lake conversion barrel to 9 mm for the M&P so I could go that route also. There is no reason I can't use CMJ instead of FMJ the price is not that much different and it does make sense good point.
Thanks for the web site JKelly great info thanks again everyone.

Hope no one has video on there phones the first time I go what a scene that's going to be.
[rolleyes]

Thanks everyone , I will be using a Full size Smith & Wesson M & P 40 cal , also have a Storm Lake conversion barrel to 9 mm for the M&P so I could go that route also. There is no reason I can't use CMJ instead of FMJ the price is not that much different and it does make sense good point.
Thanks for the web site JKelly great info thanks again everyone.

Hope no one has video on there phones the first time I go what a scene that's going to be.
[rolleyes]

For a local club match- you shouuld be fine... but the conversion barrel is a no-no I believe. If you want to go with the 40 and not full power- there are some guys that load light in 40 and play in SSP.

For a local club match- you shouuld be fine... but the conversion barrel is a no-no I believe. If you want to go with the 40 and not full power- there are some guys that load light in 40 and play in SSP.
SSP is kind of an odd duck in this way. Under "PERMITTED Modifications" is says "Internal accuracy may be worked to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber." which would lead you down one road. On the other hand, under "EXCLUDED Modifications:" it calls out "A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original factory model." which would lead you down another. (ESP has no such silliness, BTW.) Since the M&P is offered in 9mm also, I'm not certain why a conversion barrel would be disallowed, although I also don't know how you would be able to tell, since the caliber markings are on the barrel and not the frame, IIRC.

Since the M&P is offered in 9mm also, I'm not certain why a conversion barrel would be disallowed, although I also don't know how you would be able to tell, since the caliber markings are on the barrel and not the frame, IIRC.
The caliber is marked on the slide as well.

At a club match, no one would notice or care. If you were to shoot a sanctioned match, I'd check with the MD for his interpretation ahead of time.

SSP is kind of an odd duck in this way. Under "PERMITTED Modifications" is says "Internal accuracy may be worked to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber." which would lead you down one road. On the other hand, under "EXCLUDED Modifications:" it calls out "A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original factory model." which would lead you down another. (ESP has no such silliness, BTW.) Since the M&P is offered in 9mm also, I'm not certain why a conversion barrel would be disallowed, although I also don't know how you would be able to tell, since the caliber markings are on the barrel and not the frame, IIRC.

I'm not the rule maker but I think it may have to do with the extra weight of the conversion barrel. I 9mm conversion barrel in a 40 slide will natually be heavier.

My understanding is it is defnitely not allowed under the rules (SSP or ESP) in IDPA. As mentioned, local area matches would probably not care. I was considering the same idea (with a XDM in 40).
Be very careful loading 40 S&W to 'major' power factor (velocity*weight of head/1000) which is 165. I believe it is easier to make major with 40 S&W with a larger head, but don't have that much experience loading 40 S&W yet.
I would definitely go to brianenos.com and look in the reloading sections/do a search. There are thousands of posts regarding specific load data, and ever threads on which is better fast light bullet vs slow heavy bullet regarding recoil etc.

I make 170 PF out of a 4'' barrel with 3 ports and an integrated comp. 2.75" to the first port. This is using a 155gr bullet. It comes down to using the right powder and bullet for what you want

Most shooters like 180gr over titegroup. It all comes down to what you like and skill level. A soft gun is a slow gun.

Try em all. You,or your gun, may show a marked preference for one or the other,or not.By far the biggest factor is reliability.Im not very good,but I generally beat the guy whose gun chokes all the time.

After reviewing Brianenos.com which there is a ton of info, I think the 180 gr will be my first try , with 4.1 gr of W231 C.O.L. 1.125 supposed to be around 797 VEL.(FT/S) it will be a good place to start, really sucks I can't use that conversion barrel, just gives me another reason to buy another gun LOL. appreciate all the info and help Thanks ALL.

Let me know how you make out with that load Lopro. I use about 5.0gr to make 165 PF+ with the longer barreled G35. Someday I'll get to making some .40 loads for minor and see if I like them. You may need to use a different recoil spring with that load if you haven't switched already.

I am hoping to put my order in for the bullets this week so it might be a week or so out but will let you know, you think I will need to go with a weaker/ Stronger spring ? The one I am using is the stock recoil spring .

Last edited:
If you start having extraction issues, feeding issues, etc. you may need a lighter spring. PF for most commercial .40 is over 165PF... so dropping it that much may cause issues. I think the stock recoil spring in your gun is 17 or 16lbs. Drop it 2 lbs or so if you need to.

Let me know how you make out with that load Lopro. I use about 5.0gr to make 165 PF+ with the longer barreled G35. Someday I'll get to making some .40 loads for minor and see if I like them. You may need to use a different recoil spring with that load if you haven't switched already.

Just don't get confused with IDPA and USPSA. In IDPA the power factor for SSP and ESP is 125,000. In CDP, which is .45 cal, the power factor is 165,000. In USPSA with respect to "major" and "minor" I believe you need to make 165,000 for "major." In IDPA there is no .40 "major" or "minor." Be sure to test your loads before the class and be careful not to go over the maximum powder loads in .40, I understand in that particular caliber there is a tremendous amount of pressure. Also, someone had excellent advice on spring weights... if you start to go too low on your powder load your gun may not like it and you may need a lighter spring. I've been playing around in USPSA with an Open Glock with a compensated barrel and I've have some reliability issues that I believe are caused by too low of a powder charge with too stiff of a recoil spring. I've got some lighter springs on order so hopefully I can get that gun to run more reliably.

My understanding is it is defnitely not allowed under the rules (SSP or ESP) in IDPA. As mentioned, local area matches would probably not care. I was considering the same idea (with a XDM in 40).
Be very careful loading 40 S&W to 'major' power factor (velocity*weight of head/1000) which is 165. I believe it is easier to make major with 40 S&W with a larger head, but don't have that much experience loading 40 S&W yet.
I would definitely go to brianenos.com and look in the reloading sections/do a search. There are thousands of posts regarding specific load data, and ever threads on which is better fast light bullet vs slow heavy bullet regarding recoil etc.

I make major with 165gr, and 180 gr with no problems.Never had good luck with 200gr, split too many cases.

I've been playing around in USPSA with an Open Glock with a compensated barrel and I've have some reliability issues that I believe are caused by too low of a powder charge with too stiff of a recoil spring. I've got some lighter springs on order so hopefully I can get that gun to run more reliably.

Too low of a powder charge? Man...I can't wait to see that thing breathe fire when you up your loads.....

I hope to be loading soon going to use 180 gr JHP , if I need any info or help I be right back here appreciate it .[smile]

Last edited:
Too low of a powder charge? Man...I can't wait to see that thing breathe fire when you up your loads.....

That first photo taken by PMD, my avatar photo, was on the day I was having trouble with having the gun function - I transition to my work duty loads later which were more powerful... not sure if that photo was with the duty loads or the lighter one... The one Steve P took with the flame appearing to touch the top of the port was for sure with duty loads...

Back
Top Bottom