• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loading for a .22 Hornet

Mornin
So a search in this section doesn't really list much, outside of .223 and .22tcm, and the last inquiry shows 2010-2012.

Thinking about picking up a .22 hornet, always wanted one.
Toss up between a cz and a savage. Doubt I could swing the anschutz model.

Does anyone here load for it?
Not looking for load data, have a few books that list it.
Components seem to be somewhat readily available, ever run into any issues with the brass?
Any quirks I should watch for from a reloading standpoint?

Never owned one, but have read that the brass isn't very stout, and that finding an accurate load can be a challenge. The common powders are slow pistol powders like H110 and 2400, and the bullets are not the same as those typically used in .223. For short-range varmint hunting, the .22 and .17 magnum rimfire rounds can do 90% of what the Hornet can. An interesting alternative is the .222 Remington, the grandaddy of the .223/5.56 and a cartridge that for decades held a world record for smallest group size.

Yea, I saw that
Lil' gun and 35-40 gr projectiles seem to be the go-to combo.
If I had the ability to stretch out, I'd go back to loading .223.
200 meter is probably the farthest I'll go, and on clay pigeons and steel plates.

Mornin
So a search in this section doesn't really list much, outside of .223 and .22tcm, and the last inquiry shows 2010-2012.

Components seem to be somewhat readily available, ever run into any issues with the brass?
I bought a barrel for my contender pistol and although
Mornin

I bought a barrel for my contender pistol and although I never shot it very much, bought Starline brass which seemed very good. Wasn't hard to get it to shoot well.

There's also:
223 loaded down to 22 hornet - Google Search

Plus, the new .17 Hornet and .17 WSM.

So many choices!

Yea, I saw that on a search a few days ago. I had some medium loads worked for a .223, I want to say 24 gr of rl15 and 62 gr bthp.
Really consistent, but was like pitching artillery at 200.

.222 is an option. My biggest requirement is a varmint/ heavy barrel.
I like the .17's, but I've heard a lot of complaints about slight breezes pushing them side to side.

As said, you could always load lighter in a .223, assuming you have a bolter. My neighbor has a beautiful Ruger M77 chambered in .22 Hornet, but I don't think he's put 10 rounds through it yet. I've loaded a few rounds, but not enough to comment about.
Some of the typical 22 Hornet bullets aren't always in stock, but they are out there. There's also the K-Hornet variation, but whether you need both is your call. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom