• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loaded my first rounds

No not yet.

I was going to have my brother stand next to the muzzle and when i take a shot have him run towards the berm. Measure distance traveled and divide by stupidity = FPS.

Any recommendations on one? Was looking on midway today.

Buy one yesterday. [smile] Even one of the $89 F1 Chronys will work fine. The fancier chronos are less picky about lighting, etc. Fancier chronos will also have data printers, which is a nice touch.. some let you DL the data into a PC, etc, but most of these are going to cost a lot more
than the F1.

I can't imagine reloading without one. I bought mine even before I loaded a single round, because I wanted to get a baseline off of the commercial ammo I normally shot.

I'd also get a notebook and start keeping records. EG, record the following..

-Date / Time / Temperature (this is relatively important, as powders change with temp! )

-Model of gun

-Primer, Charge, powder brand bullet, bullet weight, OAL, etc.

What I do when I make a new load is I fire 10 shots across the chrono through each gun I'm going to use it out of. This lets me build a mound of data so that I already have an idea of how a given combo is going to work. Also lets you verify that your loads really are making or exceeding required power factor, etc....

-Mike

Buy one yesterday. [smile] Even one of the $89 F1 Chronys will work fine. The fancier chronos are less picky about lighting, etc. Fancier chronos will also have data printers, which is a nice touch.. some let you DL the data into a PC, etc, but most of these are going to cost a lot more
than the F1.

I can't imagine reloading without one. I bought mine even before I loaded a single round, because I wanted to get a baseline off of the commercial ammo I normally shot.

I'd also get a notebook and start keeping records. EG, record the following..

-Date / Time / Temperature (this is relatively important, as powders change with temp! )

-Model of gun

-Primer, Charge, powder brand bullet, bullet weight, OAL, etc.

What I do when I make a new load is I fire 10 shots across the chrono through each gun I'm going to use it out of. This lets me build a mound of data so that I already have an idea of how a given combo is going to work. Also lets you verify that your loads really are making or exceeding required power factor, etc....

-Mike

I started a small spreadsheet. I'll have to add a few more columns.

Me too!!!

Loaded some .45 ACP with some W231 5.0grns under a 200grn plated rainer bullet. With the recipe formulas I got I should be shooting around a 830-850FPS range I guess. All mine went bang too!! Still all my fingers as well. I cant wait to crank out some more as well! Its going to be fun... My only downside is that my press and set up is in my room... yea.... and I don't have it "secured" per many recomendations. I am getting very consistent powder throws and measureas on the OAL of all my rounds, so I think I just need to go slow.

OAL= 1.233--1.237 mostly I was getting a lot of 1.234's

This will be so fun to make my own arsenal muahhahahah. "Ammo Cache" god it sounds so nice!

Keep in mind that most reloading books refer to over all length (OAL) as a MIN over all length (MOAL)... Meaning, should not be shorter than. Yours sound fine.

OAL= 1.233--1.237 mostly I was getting a lot of 1.234's

This will be so fun to make my own arsenal muahhahahah. "Ammo Cache" god it sounds so nice!

Back
Top Bottom