Loaded handgun in tent?

Im going camping this weekend in Me. I have my conceal permit in Ma but not in ME. I plan on open carry, but at night, can I store a loaded firearm in my tent with me?

I'm heading to Ogunquit this weekend and I dont have my ME permit. I would love to open carry around a small beach town just to see the reaction, haha.

Interesting, but is it legally binding signage in ME (where the OP is going)? [wink]

I don't believe ME has binding signage either, outside of posted booze establishments.. I was confused by this thread title because I think there is a similar one in the NH subforum. [laugh]

-Mike

Im going camping this weekend in Me. I have my conceal permit in Ma but not in ME. I plan on open carry, but at night, can I store a loaded firearm in my tent with me?

I might be doing the same this weekend. Does anybody know the laws regarding transporting? I have a pickup.

OP update:
I had my gun unloaded in a "secure - it" safe in my bag behind the drivers seat (pick up truck). I went camping in ME. No signs reguarding any weapons, so I open carried only at the sight. At night I threw my loaded gun in the safe (in the tent)and thats it. No one cared exept the anti's I went camping with. The funny part was NO ONE asked ME any questions, they all asked my friend!!

Last edited:
OP update:
I had my gun unloaded in a "secure - it" safe in my bag behind the drivers seat (pick up truck). I went camping in ME. No signs reguarding any weapons, so I open carried only at the sight. At night I threw my loaded gun in the safe and thats it. No one cared exept the anti's I went camping with. The funny part was NO ONE asked ME any questions, they all asked my friend!!

You camped???????.........With Anti's?????????? WTF over?[shocked]

So, if in the middle of the night, you needed it, its locked away in your truck in its little safe box. You might as well have left it at home because anything you might have had to use it for would be over and done long before you got your hands on it.

I edited my update. The safe was in the truck while transporting to ME.. At night I kept the safe at the head of the sleeping bag.
One of the anti's served in vietnam. He was a pilot that carried a 1911. He told me I shouldn't be carrying it cocked and locked, thats what HE was taught [laugh]

Why in the hell do you people insist in locking up guns for the night?

The time you will need it most, under the highest stress, and in your lowest state of consciousness, now you gotta f-ck with a lock?

I just stuff it under some clothes next to me.

Good Lord in heaven some of you guys have been brainwashed with this "safe storage" shit to the point you can't comprehend that no one else has those laws.

I am nopt sure of the legal issues here. If you rent a cottage in Maine then I know that you can conceal a gun inside the cottage loaded. The cottage becomes an abode and you are covered under the laws there. Inside a home there are no laws in ME restricting CCW or storage. Now, if you go camping and have a tent. Does the tent become an abode? Or must you follow the laws regarding CCW in public? I do not know.

However, that being said, I think the solution, assuming it was a semi-auto, was to simply put the gun under your pillow and the mag right next to it. That way it is not "loaded" and is a hell of alot easier to make ready than if it was in a locked box.

Back
Top Bottom