• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LnL trouble

Last night i was loading 44 mag after being away from things for a while. On the second hundred the press would lock up on the down stroke and only go about half way, couldn't turn the plate by hand, couldn't turn the star wheel either. Raise the arm back up and it would advance through on the down stroke. Remove the double powder charge round and keep going. This happened about 3-4 times and then locked up solid, couldn't get it to turn. While looking under the plate at the star wheel and the palls and trying to force the handle a little to see what was binding (everything above seemed fine) I heard a ping and one of the palls had snapped clean off. Two questions 1) why was it intermittently getting out of time and doing this and 2) is it going to be a PITA to get the new one adjusted perfectly (should I send it back). I haven't removed any thing yet I figured I would get the new one and count turns getting out the allen bolt and broken piece and just reverse the process. Anyone else had this issue and how did you deal with it.

Haven't had any issues like that. Sorry to hear.

If you want to borrow my press let me know or you can come by and use it.

Last edited:
I just want to know why it was doing this, and how much trouble to get it indexing after I change the pall. Thanks for the offer but I think I am all set for now

Manomet, I've gone down that road (nearly). What's happened now is something that will probably require the unit to be sent back to Hornady. The pawl adjustments are very tricky and too much of one (down stroke) or too much upstroke would seem to me what happened. I'd recommend you PM Eddie Coyle and ask his advice. He's given me some past advice that probably prevented me from doing what happened to you. Best wishes and good luck.

I think the pawl adjustment dumps you close enough so the spring loaded balls drop home and lock the shell plate into place. Replacing one shouldn't be too much trouble. The one that broke was probably due to too much pressure when things locked up. I notice my press will lock up once and a while at the eject station. When I do 45's sometime one will bind as it ejects, I'll just give it a nudge out and continue.

It should be a piece of cake to replace. Get it close by eye, and then adjust it to home it in. The newer manuals have a good description of how to do it. If you don't have one, you can download a pdf from Hornady.

When you installed and removed the shellplates, were you using something to hold the shellplate and keep the pressure off the pawls as you tightened/loosened it? If not, that could be the cause of your problem.

I'll say, the only time I've noticed the plate not rotating is because a primer was not seated properly (operator error).

Of course now that you have a broken pawl, get a new one (and a spare) they well a replacement free, and adjust them. I've adjusted mine and it was very easy.

Let us know when you found out what was causing the problem.

I've experienced a different issue with my LNL.
When the cartridge is supposed to eject, it pinches in the shellplate and the little ezject widget that is cast into the Subplate. It especially happens with anything .38 spl and smaller.
I have begun polishing the edges of the shellpates and have got the 41 Mag plate running better.
I think part of the problem has been that in the past, during a run, sometimes the shellplate would loosen and the rim of a case would ride up a little and bind btween the ezject gizmo and the bottom of the shellplate.

Frankly, I think the quality of the subplate castings and the cheap metal parts are inexcusable on Hornady's part. I'll bet when the engineered and built the prototypes they used better grades of metals- then went cheap for production.
Anyways, I've made some 40 thousand rounds in the last year with the press despite its' quirks. It does produce some good quality ammo- it's just frustrating to run at times.
The LNL is a loose press, I am going to invest in a tube of Loc-tite. I called Hornady and they said they similar complaints about the shellplates pinching. I'm just wondering if I polish too much that I'll wreck the shellplate at some point. Any suggestions (other than buying a Dillion 1050 Super which is already in the works this year) would be appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited:
I had the same jamming problems with mine on eject and with primers. I've found that if you don't tighten the shell plate down every 100 rounds or so it will work loose.

Doubt it's cheap parts. More likely worn caseheads. I have that issue if the brass is somewhat rounded. This is with mixed range. Winchester is the smoothest with federal a close second.

Fixxah,

This happens with brand spanky new Starline brass as well as OFB regardless of HeadStamp.

It seems to me that owners of other progressive presses aren't reporting similar problems.

Jeff,

give Hornady a call and explain what's happening. They might send a new setup for you. I had thought about modifying mine but it happens so rarely it's not worth it. Maybe I can weld the old one and try to make my own tab for ejection.

Back
Top Bottom