• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LL Bean in Burlington, MA

USMA-82

NES Member
Stopped in the new LL Bean store this weekend on the way to a family picnic. After looking around for a few minutes, a clerk stepped up:

Clerk: "Can I help you find something, Sir?"

Me: "Yeah - where's the hunting department?"

Clerk: "Oh, we don't have one in this store"

Me: "Holy Political Correctness, Batman!"

Clerk: "We don't have home furnishings, either..."

No need to go back to that store.

I think they're trying to compete with Bass Pro shops and Cabelas. Opening a bunch of retail locations may hurt their brand name.

Stopped in the new LL Bean store this weekend on the way to a family picnic. After looking around for a few minutes, a clerk stepped up:

Clerk: "Can I help you find something, Sir?"

Me: "Yeah - where's the hunting department?"

Clerk: "Oh, we don't have one in this store"

Me: "Holy Political Correctness, Batman!"

Clerk: "We don't have home furnishings, either..."

No need to go back to that store.

So, is it merely a clothing store, or do they have camping gear?

It has some camping gear, biking, kayaking on the lower floor. THe upper floor is all clothing.

The Wayside Commons is one of the new "upscale" shopping centers that started springing up recently. My wife and I were there saturday for a look see.

Not much guy stuff, save the Bean. Mostly women's clothing (so far) and furniture stuff. We'll see. [thinking]

RJ

I stopped in there on Friday. I also noticed the missing hunting department but wasn't surprised. They do have a pretty large section of the lower floor devoted to fly fishing gear though.

It has some camping gear, biking, kayaking on the lower floor. THe upper floor is all clothing.

The Wayside Commons is one of the new "upscale" shopping centers that started springing up recently. My wife and I were there saturday for a look see.

Not much guy stuff, save the Bean. Mostly women's clothing (so far) and furniture stuff. We'll see. [thinking]

RJ

Wonder how long it will be before Bean goes the way of Eddie Bauer? That also used to be a toal outfitter many moons ago. About the closest you get to outdoors there now is when some couple pushes their Jeep stroller in with a little mud on the tires.

Wonder how long it will be before Bean goes the way of Eddie Bauer? That also used to be a toal outfitter many moons ago. About the closest you get to outdoors there now is when some couple pushes their Jeep stroller in with a little mud on the tires.
Or worse, Abercrombie & Fitch. From high quality gear for the sportsman to pre-pubescent trash.

I've been in the LL Bean Outlet stores in Nashua and Manchester . . . NO hunting stuff at all.

I'm not at all surprised that they didn't bother to fight that fight in MA. It just doesn't pay for a chain to go thru the BS of our state laws, only be able to sell some of whatever they normally sell, etc.

Yea, my father has an old Abercrombie Fly Rod. It was really nice.

I would hope that LL Bean doesn't go this route...they've made it this long without having to do this...

I'm just hoping that they are opening a shop to help with the product.

I do know that when I'm looking at a new LL Bean shirt, or Sweater, I've had to order it, send it back and order a new size. Having a store that I can just go into and try it on would be nice...

But when I see small "Satellite" Stores in malls, that's when I'll worry. I think that having a large store such is this isn't a bad thing...yet.

Up until the recent past, Bean's didn't even sell guns, which they now do. Lot's of gear for hunting, but no guns. The Freeport store has long guns only, including some high end shotguns.(Merkel)

Oh well.... Cabela's will be here soon. I can hardly wait!

I do miss the good 'ol L.L. Bean days I remember as a kid: Climbing up the rickety, wooden stairs to the second floor; naked light bulbs hanging from the ceiling; rows and rows of wooden bins with neat stuff inside.

I'm afraid the store has slowly descended into preppy purgatory, never to give the appearance again of being an "outfitter" like Cabela's.

no there isn't

007, as USAM82 said, there really isn't an LL BEAN in Burlington.

Chris.... Bauer is owned by LL Bean and has been for at least four years.

there was an Eddie Bauer in the Salamon Pond mall, i don't think its there anyomore.

JimB

I'm afraid the store has slowly descended into preppy purgatory, never to give the appearance again of being an "outfitter" like Cabela's.---usma-82
I've been saying for years that L.L. Bean has turned into L.L. Filenes.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom