• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

lizard litter walnut tumbling media on sale at petco

mac1911

NES Member
10 quart large bag buy one get one free 13.00 bucks out the door. Should last me a long time sealed in a 5 gallon bucket.

Petco club card purchase. Was there looking at the fish with my daughter and just happen to look.

Thanks for the info. I have quite a bit of corn cob and wanted to try some walnut and this beats ordering some online and paying shipping.

some pet stores have the corncob also. I find the walnut less dusty and it doesnt seem to nestle in the primer pocket/flash hole

Not a bad deal. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW: Pet Store Corn Cob Litter is just gummy globs, it won't do anything other than get stuck in your primer pockets. The corn cob you want for tumbling is the blast media from Grainger or DrilllSpot.com. It's just the hard "woody" part of the cob. Most of a corn cob is soft squishy stuff. EddieCoyle Explains it here.

I actually bought some corncob bedding the other day at Petsmart. A 25lb bag for like $15 or something like that. cleaned all of my brass really well, but I am going to buy some walnut too for my next batch and see how that works.

I did notice unless you add something else, it is pretty dusty. But it cleans well.

The corn cob bedding I purchased from pet store was nice hard, cleaned really well it just seemed to always leave a dusty film which also found its way onto everything in the shop. Walnut not so much, I tried both with nufinish/oderless mineral spirits.
Corncob gets a better shine over all but dusty and clogs primer/flash holes ?
Walnut gets it clean, shiney enough and hardly any stuck media any where.

I'm going to have to pass on the sale. Would have to haul it all the way to FL........

My opinion (from the years of trying all the ways to clean brass) is that the walnut is better.
The only time you should go with the corn cob version of media is if your family has a Nut Allergy.

Having said that, I just gave my 2/3 full bag of new media away. The shop gets packed up this week.

Lizzard litter (the larger granule corn type) is the worst stuff ever to use as tumbling media. RUN, don't walk away from it and forget you ever heard of it.

The first batch of ruined, tightly compacted .223 brass will convince you if you don't believe me.

Do yourself a favor while its still clean and dump it in your compost pile or on your garden as organic material.

Lizzard litter (the larger granule corn type) is the worst stuff ever to use as tumbling media. RUN, don't walk away from it and forget you ever heard of it.

The first batch of ruined, tightly compacted .223 brass will convince you if you don't believe me.

Do yourself a favor while its still clean and dump it in your compost pile or on your garden as organic material.

The "large" corncob bedding I bought worked really well on the 9mm, 38/357, and 45acp I cleaned. The inside and outside of the cases got really clean. I don't have rifle's though, so that could be the difference?? I am going to get some of the walnut stuff though and see what works best.

ZILLA is the WALNUT SHELL stuff, and is wonderful...............
96316700482altC.jpg

Here's the link for the sale price:
http://www.petco.com/product/102881/Zilla-Ground-English-Walnut-Shells-Reptile-Bedding.aspx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom