Living with someone stationed at Fort Bragg, NC?

My wife has a 20 year old niece that is not the smartest person I have ever met. She has some mental issues and she has been staying with us on/off for a while and I cannot seem to get honest answers from her about anything.
A few weeks ago, she had a guy drive down to us from Ft Bragg, NC. I believe he is in the Army. I didn't chat with him to be honest. I don't get too friendly with the guys she brings over for us to meet because there is just so many of them.
Long story short, the wife and I knew it was coming, but these 20 year olds that have been dating for a few weeks are head over heels for each other and we just got the call that she is moving up there with him. She told my wife that she was able to live with him in his barracks.
She has nothing to her name. $0 in the bank, heavily in debt and no car, no license, no plan for life.

My question is, are non military allowed to live in the barracks? Are we being fed lies? Are they misinformed? I just want to educate her so she doesn't make a bad decision heading there with him.
She is an adult and can make her own decisions but she needs help and it'll make us sleep better at night knowing she is heading to a decent place to live instead of on the streets to just be near this guy.

Fort Bragg Barracks​

Unaccompanied personnel housing is for single or unaccompanied soldiers in the ranks of E5 or below and can be reached at 1 (910) 643-4673. If you’re planning to live on post and don’t have a family you’re bringing along, this could be a great resource for you. Visit Fort Bragg’s website for more information on the barracks.

At Fort Bragg, military family housing is privatized. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Corvias Property Management, which owns the family housing and is responsible for constructing, maintaining, repairing, and managing the community.

My wife has a 20 year old niece that is not the smartest person I have ever met. She has some mental issues and she has been staying with us on/off for a while and I cannot seem to get honest answers from her about anything.
A few weeks ago, she had a guy drive down to us from Ft Bragg, NC. I believe he is in the Army. I didn't chat with him to be honest. I don't get too friendly with the guys she brings over for us to meet because there is just so many of them.
Long story short, the wife and I knew it was coming, but these 20 year olds that have been dating for a few weeks are head over heels for each other and we just got the call that she is moving up there with him. She told my wife that she was able to live with him in his barracks.
She has nothing to her name. $0 in the bank, heavily in debt and no car, no license, no plan for life.

My question is, are non military allowed to live in the barracks? Are we being fed lies? Are they misinformed? I just want to educate her so she doesn't make a bad decision heading there with him.
She is an adult and can make her own decisions but she needs help and it'll make us sleep better at night knowing she is heading to a decent place to live instead of on the streets to just be near this guy.

No! Maybe. Maybe.

<---well over ten years at Bragg to include positions that have decent visibility on barracks policies. Over 28 years in the Army.

Fort Bragg Barracks​

Unaccompanied personnel housing is for single or unaccompanied soldiers in the ranks of E5 or below and can be reached at 1 (910) 643-4673. If you’re planning to live on post and don’t have a family you’re bringing along, this could be a great resource for you. Visit Fort Bragg’s website for more information on the barracks.

At Fort Bragg, military family housing is privatized. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Corvias Property Management, which owns the family housing and is responsible for constructing, maintaining, repairing, and managing the community.
Thanks for the link. I didn't even Google it, I assumed stuff like that wasn't posted publicly.

She used the phrase barracks with my wife.

Semi joking, but it is physical possible.

If the kid is in Division, the new barracks are set up in "suites" with a central kitchen/bathroom shared by two joes who have their own private bedroom.

Way back when I was a SSG at Bragg, I had a joe move his wife into the old barracks. He had his own room just because we were short people. She would hide in the spare walllocker and piss/shit in a bowl where he would take it to the gang latrines. She lasted a couple weeks.

No she can't unless he's living off base or they got married😄
Gotta do it for that sweet BAH, BAS, and for the new dependa's sweet Tricare.

My thoughts exactly. The number of people I know that got married just to get out of the dorms/off base and collect that dependent BAH and BAS, is sadly not zero.

She used the phrase barracks with my wife. That's what made me scratch my head. Maybe we have a wedding in our near future. Hahaha

If she's like 98% of civilians, she has no idea what "barracks" actually means.

As others have posted, there are ways for her to live on-post with him IF she marries him. But "on-post" doesn't mean "in the barracks."

The short answer is that if she's living in the barracks with him, she's not supposed to be. He's putting himself at great risk if he smuggles her in there and his chain of command finds out, and they most certainly will. Quickly.

I'd recommend that if you're concerned about her, and you know she's not married to him, your concerns about where she's living are justified. Because it almost certainly ain't on post; she's probably down in the Murch somewhere.

Sounds like they are both going places!

And by going places I'm not using that as an expression for success. I mean literally places. Mainly places like the streets of homelessness and the welfare store. It doesn't sound like he's going to have a long or successful career in the military and it doesn't sound like she has any desire to do much of anything with her life. But obviously I have no idea. But a broke jobless chick with no prospects moving in with a 20-year-old private...these things tend to head down and not up.

Semi joking, but it is physical possible.

If the kid is in Division, the new barracks are set up in "suites" with a central kitchen/bathroom shared by two joes who have their own private bedroom.

Way back when I was a SSG at Bragg, I had a joe move his wife into the old barracks. He had his own room just because we were short people. She would hide in the spare walllocker and piss/shit in a bowl where he would take it to the gang latrines. She lasted a couple weeks.
JFC. That is gross.

Absolutely no idea as to the answer to your question.... Just want to say that you seem like a solid guy, caring for her.... Your description is very matter-of-fact, but that can't be easy.... Lots of men would say "f*** this shit."... Also shows how much you love your wife.
Raising a toast to you this evening.

My thoughts exactly. The number of people I know that got married just to get out of the dorms/off base and collect that dependent BAH and BAS, is sadly not zero.

My son saw many at DLI (Defense Language Institute) get married for off base housing. I politely explained to him that was a really bad idea. Why, he asked? Because I don't want you marrying someone who then decides a divorce from you gives them rights to your family's nest egg or future inheritance. To prevent that I'll just drop you off our will and trust.

:)

My son saw many at DLI (Defense Language Institute) get married for off base housing. I politely explained to him that was a really bad idea. Why, he asked? Because I don't want you marrying someone who then decides a divorce from you gives them rights to your family's nest egg or future inheritance. To prevent that I'll just drop you off our will and trust.

:)
Oh Rich...We do have to meet up for drinks soon man.
That was a f***ing awesome post.. I can actually picture that conversation.

While she is gone, change your locks.
Never been given a key. Haha. We have a policy with her to live her that she be as open as possible with us. We have no desire to monitor her whereabouts and going ons, but if you are not coming home for the evening, let me know. I'll lock up for the night. If you will be home at 1am, let us know.

Never been given a key. Haha. We have a policy with her to live her that she be as open as possible with us. We have no desire to monitor her whereabouts and going ons, but if you are not coming home for the evening, let me know. I'll lock up for the night. If you will be home at 1am, let us know.
Nice,any other tips? Next yr my sis moving to my house, my mother is a nut so sis have to run lol

Absolutely no idea as to the answer to your question.... Just want to say that you seem like a solid guy, caring for her.... Your description is very matter-of-fact, but that can't be easy.... Lots of men would say "f*** this shit."... Also shows how much you love your wife.
Raising a toast to you this evening.
My wife is a Saint. 2 years ago, she asked me to stop working to be a stay at home dad. She finances all of my hobbies and never questions it. She loves me being home. I mentioned going back to work a few weeks ago, she said she wasn't ready yet. I worship the ground she walks on. Haha

Nice,any other tips? Next yr my sis moving to my house, my mother is a nut so sis have to run lol
To be honest, openness is the biggest thing. Be open about what bothers you and communicate it ASAP before you start to resent your new guest. Having people live with you disturbs your normal way of life. In ways you don't realize.
I am insane when it comes to dishes. I like doing them, so I know they get done right. I have no issue with doing everyone's dishes, as long as they follow my few rules: don't leave the stuff in your room so long that it hardens. If you decide to rinse your plate, do not use my "clean" sponge. There is 2 there. One is for getting grime off. One is used only for sanitizing with soap after the item is cleaned. People don't know my insanity until I explain it.

My wife is a Saint. 2 years ago, she asked me to stop working to be a stay at home dad. She finances all of my hobbies and never questions it. She loves me being home. I mentioned going back to work a few weeks ago, she said she wasn't ready yet. I worship the ground she walks on. Haha
Not busting balls but it sounds like she controls you. If that’s cool with you then fine but I hope your planning your exit strategy. She has hers, believe me. Back to the barracks issue, He will get into huge trouble if he has her trying to stay there and he knows that. Plus, what about the other 2-4 guys that live in the same room as him?

Not busting balls but it sounds like she controls you. If that’s cool with you then fine but I hope your planning your exit strategy. She has hers, believe me. Back to the barracks issue, He will get into huge trouble if he has her trying to stay there and he knows that. Plus, what about the other 2-4 guys that live in the same room as him?
If this is what control looks like, sign me up for a lifetime of being a victim!
Yeah, something doesn't add up with her story. I'm not sure she is relaying the whole story to us on purpose or just doesn't know it for herself. I just wanted to fact check the parts she did tell us.
As mentioned above, she may not realize the true definition of barracks.

Plus, what about the other 2-4 guys that live in the same room as him?

Not that it changes anything about your post, but if the kid is in Division(and not the homos in the CAB), this is how most of the barracks are set up now.

Not at all to scale and varies from building to building as different contractors built them.
Presentation1.jpg

These are the old barracks in what used to be the 3rd brigade area, but is now 2nd brigade.

IMG_1227.JPG

If this is what control looks like, sign me up for a lifetime of being a victim!
Yeah, something doesn't add up with her story. I'm not sure she is relaying the whole story to us on purpose or just doesn't know it for herself. I just wanted to fact check the parts she did tell us.
As mentioned above, she may not realize the true definition of barracks.
She’ll find out quick when she can’t stay there😂. There’s no way he told her she can stay with him in the barracks, she might be pulling a fast one. 👍🏻

Not that it changes anything about your post, but if the kid is in Division(and not the homos in the CAB), this is how most of the barracks are set up now.

Not at all to scale and varies from building to building as different contractors built them.
View attachment 552240

These are the old barracks in what used to be the 3rd brigade area, but is now 2nd brigade.

View attachment 552241
Damn! How we gonna win the next war with this shit! 😂😂. So his roommate in bedroom 2 comes back and sees a broad in there chilling in the shared space hogging the tv. He will be in the 1st Shirt’s office before morning formation!😂👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom