Live near school, any issues keeping firearms at home??

bsaks

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'll probably get sh*t for even asking, but the wife is insisting I check...

We'll be renting a new apartment that is next to school (pre k/kindergarden I think). Any issues with owning firearms in the home, given we're very close to a school that is likely a gun free zone?

Also, can a landlord prohibit storing firearms in their units?

You're all set for the first question as long as you have a valid LTC, for the second I don't know. If it's his property I guess maybe he can make the rules, but again I don't know.

I don't believe it is legal to prohibit firearms in a rental.
Concealed means concealed - unless the landlord is a pro-2A gun guy there is no reason to discuss

They do not. You think a landlord can tell you what religion to practice in your home too?

Discrimination laws are less strict if you share common space with your landlord. Maybe that's what the previous post if referring to?

Actually an interesting question. "Can" the landlord prohibit firearms? I suppose he can, after all it's his property, we are not talking about the government here or a special protected class. But does it matter? It's not like you're going to tell the landlord about your gun collection. And, assuming this is MA, it's near impossible to evict someone, especially if they are still paying the rent and not trashing the place. In fact, if he drags you into housing court he could find himself on the hook for your legal fees.

Its not his property. It’s yours while you pay for it. I can’t believe anyone would spend good money just to be told what to do...

Actually an interesting question. "Can" the landlord prohibit firearms? I suppose he can, after all it's his property, we are not talking about the government here or a special protected class. But does it matter? It's not like you're going to tell the landlord about your gun collection. And, assuming this is MA, it's near impossible to evict someone, especially if they are still paying the rent and not trashing the place. In fact, if he drags you into housing court he could WILL find himself on the hook for your legal fees.

FIFY. Your landlord doesn't want to go to housing court. Trust me.

Don’t forget if you are moving to send your 3 certified letters to your current chief, new chief and the firearms bureau. Guys here might give you the current address. The last time I moved they were on Commonwealth Ave in Boston, but that was long,long ago,

Sig Heil!!!!
Got to allow the Gestapo to keep an eye on you. After all it’s for the children!

I'll probably get sh*t for even asking, but the wife is insisting I check...

We'll be renting a new apartment that is next to school (pre k/kindergarden I think). Any issues with owning firearms in the home, given we're very close to a school that is likely a gun free zone?

Also, can a landlord prohibit storing firearms in their units?

To put it in perspective, just about anyone who lives in a city lives near a school of some sort. If proximity to schools prevented ownership grabbers would be opening schools like gangbusters.

Its not his property. It’s yours while you pay for it. I can’t believe anyone would spend good money just to be told what to do...
So, if the heating, AC, water pipes...break, then the Tennant pays for it?

If the roof needs replacement while he is renting, then the tenant is responsible for it?

I don't think so.

As a Tennant you dont own the place. You have a contract to pay X for Y number of months.

That being said, OP...just shut up about your guns. When I rented, I moved my guns with me and never told anyone. Most people that visited me didnt even know I had guns in that apartment. The landlord had to come in a couple of times to fix stuff and I never told him. When he would go to the basement he would walk by my reloading table, he never asked what any of those "weird looking tools" were and I never said anything.

Keeping your mouth shut is a skill.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) is an act of the U.S. Congress prohibiting any unauthorized individual from knowingly possessing a loaded or unsecured firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25). The law applies to public, private, and parochial elementary schools and high schools, and to non-private property within 1000 feet of them. It provides that the states and their political subdivisions may issue licenses that exempt the licensed individuals from the prohibition.

(B)
within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State LAW.

Also couldn't find the reference but the 1000' doesnt apply to private property

Edit its right in the first quote

Don’t forget if you are moving to send your 3 certified letters to your current chief, new chief and the firearms bureau. Guys here might give you the current address. The last time I moved they were on Commonwealth Ave in Boston, but that was long,long ago,

Sig Heil!!!!
Got to allow the Gestapo to keep an eye on you. After all it’s for the children!

Just to be sure, you need to send a copy to the LEO that ISSUED you the LTC/FID.

(11) A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.
Section 129B

So, if the heating, AC, water pipes...break, then the Tennant pays for it?

If the roof needs replacement while he is renting, then the tenant is responsible for it?

I don't think so.

As a Tennant you dont own the place. You have a contract to pay X for Y number of months.

That being said, OP...just shut up about your guns. When I rented, I moved my guns with me and never told anyone. Most people that visited me didnt even know I had guns in that apartment. The landlord had to come in a couple of times to fix stuff and I never told him. When he would go to the basement he would walk by my reloading table, he never asked what any of those "weird looking tools" were and I never said anything.

Keeping your mouth shut is a skill.

Wow you nasty. Perhaps I was not clear but I doubt it. Anyways go ahead a blow what I said out of literal proportion NES style. I been here long enough to see your good at it.

If one is paying for said property and as long as damage is not an issue it is fine and LEGAL to use it as you wish. Forget about the nesessary repairs strawman and point out one scenario where the landlord has legitimate power to dictate what one possesses. Pets, sublets, extra cars and/or boats etc all clearly bring a defined burdon. Owning a once common and still legal item does not.

I still stand by it's yours to own for the duration as long as your not jeopordizing or depreciating it's value. Don't see the need to go full retard over that but I longer rent property either...

The Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) is an act of the U.S. Congress prohibiting any unauthorized individual from knowingly possessing a loaded or unsecured firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25). The law applies to public, private, and parochial elementary schools and high schools, and to non-private property within 1000 feet of them. It provides that the states and their political subdivisions may issue licenses that exempt the licensed individuals from the prohibition.

(B)
within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State LAW.

Also couldn't find the reference but the 1000' doesnt apply to private property

Edit its right in the first quote

It's a non-issue in Mass because you have to have an LTC anyway. There's no issue with the school zone, just don't carry into the school.

As to the landlord issue, well, just do what I do and keep your mouth shut. Not their business, and there's nothing in my lease about it.

Wow you nasty. Perhaps I was not clear but I doubt it. Anyways go ahead a blow what I said out of literal proportion NES style. I been here long enough to see your good at it.

If one is paying for said property and as long as damage is not an issue it is fine and LEGAL to use it as you wish. Forget about the nesessary repairs strawman and point out one scenario where the landlord has legitimate power to dictate what one possesses. Pets, sublets, extra cars and/or boats etc all clearly bring a defined burdon. Owning a once common and still legal item does not.

I still stand by it's yours to own for the duration as long as your not jeopordizing or depreciating it's value. Don't see the need to go full retard over that but I longer rent property either...

A lease is all about what you can and can't do, you've even listed a number of things commonly limited on a lease. A gun is no different. It's your property, just as a car or pet is. It can be limited through the rental agreement just as most anything else can. Don't we argue that a gun is a tool, nothing more, and it's the intent of the user that matters? You can't go around saying it's an inanimate object, simple property, and then say a lease can't dictate whether it's allowed, just as a lease can regulate other property.

This isn't about what you would do, or if you'd sign such a lease. This is about the property rights of the owner and what he CAN do. No one is forcing anyone to sign such a lease.

And if by "LEGAL" you mean he can't throw you out, then you are WRONG. The lease can dictate all sorts of things, mine says I can't hang wet laundry to dry inside the apartment, or outside for that matter. I can't have more than the one pet I listed on the lease. I can't have more than the one vehicle, and no commercial vehicles. But there is no mention of guns or ammo.

So you have you gun rights but the landlord doesn't have his property rights? Careful, your hypocrisy is showing.

I got a letter from my doctor and a certificate online for my "Emotional Support" gun so my landlord can't evict me. </sarcasm>

Seriously, there's nothing preventing a landlord from prohibiting guns as a term of the lease. If there's nothing in the lease prohibiting guns, he (or she) can't prohibit them later. You can do whatever you wish with the property (without causing "waste") so long as it's not prohibited in the lease.

This has nothing to do with a landlords property rights. I’ll point out that I do feel a landlord has too few rights when dealing with bad tenants but this is nowhere near one of them.

Careful your statism is showing...

I got a letter from my doctor and a certificate online for my "Emotional Support" gun so my landlord can't evict me. </sarcasm>

Seriously, there's nothing preventing a landlord from prohibiting guns as a term of the lease. If there's nothing in the lease prohibiting guns, he (or she) can't prohibit them later. You can do whatever you wish with the property (without causing "waste") so long as it's not prohibited in the lease.

There you have it. I stand corrected in a constructive way. If you agree to a restictive lease then it sounds like you run the risk of an eviction process for breaking it.

You other statists keep up with the content correcting in your typical commiewealth driven way. It truly suits you...

This has nothing to do with a landlords property rights. I’ll point out that I do feel a landlord has too few rights when dealing with bad tenants but this is nowhere near one of them.

Careful your statism is showing...

Oh yes, please elaborate how my support of property rights and not being hypocritical (look it up) is statism, next you'll be calling me a racist.

When the facts don't support, just call people names. Sounds like a good tactic. [rofl2]

It has everything to do with property rights. The tenant wants to keep certain property at the apartment, and the landlord may, or may not, want to restrict what kinds of property can be in his property. Fortunately both are free to agree or disagree in advance of any use of the landlords property. We call this agreement a "Lease" were all the conditions are defined BEFORE the tenant moves in. If the tenant doesn't like the agreement he doesn't sign it and doesn't move in.

This is just too ridiculous, I'm going to go buy a gun and keep it in my apartment....or not.

Oh stop being such a boot stepping statist and read what I wrote you silly commie. Lease such as that only serve to keep statists such as yourself sleeping at night...

This is just too ridiculous, I'm going to go buy a gun and keep it in my apartment....or not.

You jump all over my nuts and then wrap with this? And have the gaul to call me a hypocrite? WTF is wrong you man? seriously you started it. Own it.

Back
Top Bottom