• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Live in MA, Can I sell Ammo in surrounding free states?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The paranoia is deep, just like the AG likes it.
This never gets old:

VWVwlGk.gif

I've sold ammo to you Mass. guys but never crossed the border to do it - gunshows, etc. You're probably better off selling intra-state since you'll probably get more in that somewhat restricted market then up here where it's always been easier to buy and people have stockpiled.

Last edited:
I have a strict "Don't ask; Don't tell" policy...

Also, didn't someone recently try to give ammo away at a gun range and the cops were called...?

According to the discussion I had with the LE firearms law expert who teaches LEOs in the police academy and publishes a book on it twice a year, it is indeed black and white . . . and it is the exact opposite of what you believe.
What's your understanding on why this is true? I've never had cause to research it but my impression was that a license to sell ammunition was required to be strictly legal. If there's a loop hole to this I'd like to know it.

A car Dealer needs a LICENSE to sell cars in Mass.
Yet, you, I, anybody, can sell a car in Mass without a car dealer license.

Same goes with any business needing a license to sell, YET private people can sell whatever they want via yardsales, craigslist, etc.

Just claim your sales on your taxes😂

Same goes with any business needing a license to sell, YET private people can sell whatever they want via yardsales, craigslist, etc.

Well except there's no statute that I'm aware of like this pertaining to cars:

"No person shall sell ammunition in the commonwealth unless duly licensed.

Whoever not being licensed, as hereinbefore provided, sells ammunition within the commonwealth shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years."

What's your understanding on why this is true? I've never had cause to research it but my impression was that a license to sell ammunition was required to be strictly legal. If there's a loop hole to this I'd like to know it.
According to Ron, that section of law is all about what dealers must do and not common citizens, so as long as we aren't acting as dealers (selling, restocking, selling again on a regular basis), it doesn't apply to us. He actually made a twisted facial expression when I asked him, it was like "why are you asking me this?"

Yup, pretty much the case.

According to Ron, that section of law is all about what dealers must do and not common citizens, so as long as we aren't acting as dealers (selling, restocking, selling again on a regular basis), it doesn't apply to us. He actually made a twisted facial expression when I asked him, it was like "why are you asking me this?"

So Ron's interpretation is that since c140 S122 pertains to dealer licensing, all the other sections (S122A-D) are for licensed dealers - interesting.

OP, is this yours...? Or just where you keep your balls? Sell or don’t sell, either way IDGAF... but if you’re so convinced of the answer before you ask the question, and then argue with those most “in the know...” on this site, why ask the question in the first place? Best you consult an attorney for your legal advice.

203F961A-768A-457D-B78D-C156F7A2F0BC.jpeg

So Ron's interpretation is that since c140 S122 pertains to dealer licensing, all the other sections (S122A-D) are for licensed dealers - interesting.
When I asked the question, MGL still required a LTC or FID to possess OC, so I'm unsure if S122C & D existed at that point in time or what the content of those sections might have been. I only asked him the specific question about selling ammo that we no longer had a use for and didn't drill down any further.

OP, is this yours...? Or just where you keep your balls? Sell or don’t sell, either way IDGAF... but if you’re so convinced of the answer before you ask the question, and then argue with those most “in the know...” on this site, why ask the question in the first place? Best you consult an attorney for your legal advice.
I suspect that there is a busted string of pearls in that bag as well.

Thanks again for the community for sharing your diverse thoughts on this topic. I am thankful for your time, ideas, recommendations, approaches, and more.

Hi,
I live in MA, can I legally sell ammo to people in surrounding free states? I have a C&R FFL, but no license to sell ammo. Specifically, in person, advertised on NES, driven from MA to another nearby state. My approach to laws are to do everything 100% according to the law, without ANY short cuts. So please keep that in mind if you provide an answer. For example, I would not sell (or buy) even 1 bullet to a friend in MA. And I wouldn't sell the paper box for $20 and give the contents for free. Please don't tell me how to skirt laws, only tell me what is 100% perfectly legal. Or better yet, send me links to laws or facts. Thanks for your time and help.
You may not sell ammo in MA except face-to-face and only if the receiving party has an FID or LTC. You can ship ammo out of state, but you cannot sell ammo in MA either out of state or in-state as an ammo sales business, unless you are an ammo dealer. But if you sell ammo along with firearms sales, you are ok with that. If you are not a MA registered dealer, you would do better to avoid selling anything; gun or ammo, in MA as a business. Also, please note that a C&R FFL03 does not make you a "dealer" so you cannot be keeping an inventory and selling it around the country. Rather, you can collect firearms (and sometimes sell your extras). You should NOT sell a firearm in MA which you bought under your FFL03 unless you transferred it off your C&R books to yourself via the MA gun portal - and then transferred it within the portal to the other person. This would then fall under the annual personal transfer limit. Myself, I do not have my FFL03 anymore and I suggest you ask yourself if you actually need it. When they start going door-to-door to grab guns, which Biden's people are already floating as an idea, you will be on the short list of those whom they visit first.

You may not sell ammo in MA except face-to-face and only if the receiving party has an FID or LTC. You can ship ammo out of state, but you cannot sell ammo in MA either out of state or in-state as an ammo sales business, unless you are an ammo dealer. But if you sell ammo along with firearms sales, you are ok with that. If you are not a MA registered dealer, you would do better to avoid selling anything; gun or ammo, in MA as a business. Also, please note that a C&R FFL03 does not make you a "dealer" so you cannot be keeping an inventory and selling it around the country. Rather, you can collect firearms (and sometimes sell your extras). You should NOT sell a firearm in MA which you bought under your FFL03 unless you transferred it off your C&R books to yourself via the MA gun portal - and then transferred it within the portal to the other person. This would then fall under the annual personal transfer limit. Myself, I do not have my FFL03 anymore and I suggest you ask yourself if you actually need it. When they start going door-to-door to grab guns, which Biden's people are already floating as an idea, you will be on the short list of those whom they visit first.
Hi, thank you for this information. You sounds both articulate and confident about what you wrote. And I think you have a reasonable approach, and some good suggestions. But you didn't quote any sources of information, or laws. I am definitely not a business, just trying sell off some prized possessions, from a more prosperous time in my life, in order to pay the bills. It sounds like there is overwhelming opinion in one direction.

Hi, thank you for this information. You sounds both articulate and confident about what you wrote. And I think you have a reasonable approach, and some good suggestions. But you didn't quote any sources of information, or laws. I am definitely not a business, just trying sell off some prized possessions, from a more prosperous time in my life, in order to pay the bills. It sounds like there is overwhelming opinion in one direction.
If you want to sell off some extra ammo, the best way is to post it here first, after checking prices. Anyone in MA would need to show you an LTC. Anyone in NH, VT, ME and RI are free to buy from you if you ship to them, but not F2F in MA without MA LTC. Note: CT, similar to MA, has restrictive laws and you might want them to email you a copy of their CCW. All of these things are easily learnable by googling. Best place to start your research is here: NRA-ILA | State Gun Laws. If you ship ammo, ship UPS ground and follow their guidelines: Shipping Ammunition: UPS - United States. People can send you $$ via Venmo or PayPal, but do not mention anywhere on the transaction record what the payment is for - private firms do not have to allow you to send ammo payments through their system, so staying off the RADAR is best. If you ship ammo, DO NOT ship to anyone until you call them on the phone and actually speak to them. You want to avoid shipping ammo to Democrats/crazy people and minors. Unless the person you speak to sounds like a sane, mature adult, do not sell ammunition to them. Note: DO NOT ship ammo via US Mail !!!

Last edited:
Are you in business to sell ammo or do you have a box and looking to offload because you don't need it anymore.
I have a couple cases of personal use stuff that I don't feel I can make use of in the next couple of years because of a disability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom