Live in MA, Can I sell Ammo in surrounding free states?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I live in MA, can I legally sell ammo to people in surrounding free states? I have a C&R FFL, but no license to sell ammo. Specifically, in person, advertised on NES, driven from MA to another nearby state. My approach to laws are to do everything 100% according to the law, without ANY short cuts. So please keep that in mind if you provide an answer. For example, I would not sell (or buy) even 1 bullet to a friend in MA. And I wouldn't sell the paper box for $20 and give the contents for free. Please don't tell me how to skirt laws, only tell me what is 100% perfectly legal. Or better yet, send me links to laws or facts. Thanks for your time and help.

Any reason you can't sell Ammo here? Are there no buyers?

I've bought ammo from other members. Showed my LTC, exchanged currency for goods/services. Drove away.
Like you, I have legally bought and sold ammo from/to individuals with LTCs in MA.

The paranoia is deep, just like the AG likes it.

The paranoia is deep, just like the AG likes it.
The amount of ammo I’ve sold since first getting my LTC is fairly substantial. Tens upon tens of thousands of rounds. No one has come knocking on my door.
People in this state as @drgrant says, are pant shitting afraid of their own shadow types. But to each their own I guess.

Sell ammo? In January of 2021? Why the hell would you want to do that?

In all seriousness, OP, if it's 100% certainty you want, you won't find it here. You'll need to hire a lawyer. But MA laws do not apply outside MA, so whatever laws you'd be "breaking" would be the laws of the state where the buyer lives. Bottom line. Also, generally, laws are not written in such a way that they ALLOW you to do something, and that seems to be what you're looking for. You won't find it.

If the buyer came over the border to pick up the ammo from you, he'd also be breaking MA law by possessing that ammo lacking a MA license. But that's his problem, not yours... though, if the deal does take place here, your obligation is to ensure that the buyer is legal in MA IIRC. So you're better off going to him, where the laws of his state would control the entire transaction.

Thanks everyone. My understanding is that one cannot sell ammo in MA without a license to be doing so. I believe those laws are quite black and white. Why sell, when there is a possibility never to be able to buy it again? Because I've become somewhat disabled, and I don't see myself going to the range again any time soon. Coupled with related financial issues. Ammo doesn't taste as good as eggs for breakfast, or chicken for dinner.

Just sell the ammo to whoever is legally able to possess it. Dimples really scares the s*** out of you huh? No one's coming for you yet. That is until they try to take your standard cap mags and semi-auto rifles. The funny thing about compliance is. It only works when people comply.

Thanks everyone. My understanding is that one cannot sell ammo in MA without a license to be doing so. I believe those laws are quite black and white. Why sell, when there is a possibility never to be able to buy it again? Because I've become somewhat disabled, and I don't see myself going to the range again any time soon. Coupled with related financial issues. Ammo doesn't taste as good as eggs for breakfast, or chicken for dinner.

I've bought and sold hundreds, or maybe even thousands, of rounds in MA on my (and the other guy's) LTC. There is nothing unlawful about it.

You're looking for us to cite laws; what laws do you think ban in-state ammo sales between LTC holders? I'm curious.

Last edited:
Laws? Like the ones that Herr Healium changes with a Press conference? Or the ones Charlie Parker changes on the fly because Co-co-co-vi-vi.... I can’t even say the word without wanting to tear up. Point is this BS means nothing anymore. Laws are meaningless to Dems and they change them whenever it suits their need. If they want to take you down on a gun charge they will regardless of what the law says.

There is a license to sell ammo, that one gets from one's local PD, just like an LTC.

There is some lack of clarity in the laws about this, but the general consensus is that it applies to dealers, not "regular people."

A few years back, I tried to get said ammo seller's license, and was told that I did not qualify, as I did not have a business. When I inquired of the LO further, as to what type of business, he said, "Any type."

"So, Mr. Cop, if I had a dry clceaner's store, I could get the license?" (I actually did use dry cleaner as an example)

"Yes."

This is not something that is on the radar of anyone (though some may get in trouble for "price gouging" [rolleyes]), but if you truly feel nervous, go north, young man, or find a friendly FFL that will give you short money for your stuff, and resell it for phat stax.

Good luck....oh...and PM me what you have, and $ if you decide to deal locally. [laugh]

According to the discussion I had with the LE firearms law expert who teaches LEOs in the police academy and publishes a book on it twice a year, it is indeed black and white . . . and it is the exact opposite of what you believe.

According to the discussion I had with the LE firearms law expert who teaches LEOs in the police academy and publishes a book on it twice a year, it is indeed black and white . . . and it is the exact opposite of what you believe.
That sounds amazing. Let's see it in writing. Pointer/weblink? Cause a license to sell ammo tells a different story.

Laws? Like the ones that Herr Healium changes with a Press conference? Or the ones Charlie Parker changes on the fly because Co-co-co-vi-vi.... I can’t even say the word without wanting to tear up. Point is this BS means nothing anymore. Laws are meaningless to Dems and they change them whenever it suits their need. If they want to take you down on a gun charge they will regardless of what the law says.
this is exactly the type of answer he specifically asked NOT to suggest

If you need some fresh eggs for breakfast, I can give you some. My only other advice is to stop overthinking things and just sell your ammo if you want to. If you are that afraid to sell a box of ammo, then please sell everything, you'd probably sleep better at night. I guarantee you are violating some law right now without even knowing it.

Enjoy the current market, sell your cheap wally world ammo for top dollar, and enjoy some steak and lobster for breakfast.

OP probably read the GOAL article stating that it is not legal according to 140/122B (going by memory but that's their cite).

Reactions: DPR
this is exactly the type of answer he specifically asked NOT to suggest
Well not “exactly”... I did not tell him to do anything. I only pointed out that the Dems in this state have a history of ignoring, change interpretation or inventing so called laws to suit their immediate needs. He can interpret that comment any way he chooses.

That sounds amazing. Let's see it in writing. Pointer/weblink? Cause a license to sell ammo tells a different story.
Do you have a clue what the word "Discussion" means?

When I talk with someone face-to-face there is nothing "in writing" and you probably wouldn't believe it even if it was in writing unless the AG personally signed it in ink you could feel. Even as warped as MGLs are, most do not say "do this it is legal" that might satisfy you and alleviate your fear.

Seriously, if you are that fearful, you should dispose of all your guns, ammo and related equipment and take up another hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom