• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Live free or die...

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Neighbors say man was shot, killed during break-in
By BRIAN DeKONING
Union Leader Correspondent

ROCHESTER — A Fremont man was shot to death about 1:45 a.m. yesterday at a home at 80 Pine St. in a case that neighbors say may be connected to a string of break-ins.

Bryan J. Gaedtke, 21, was carried in a body bag from the single-family house a block from the Rochester Fairgrounds. State Attorney General Kelly Ayotte's office is investigating the case with Rochester police; they disclosed few details yesterday.

But neighbors said they believed a resident of the home shot Gaedtke because he broke into the house in the middle of the night. A second-story window screen in the rear of the house was damaged.

Rochester police investigate the shooting death of Bryan Gaedtke of Fremont yesterday at a house at 80 Pine St. (BRIAN DeKONING)
Authorities would not comment on who shot Gaedtke or what type of gun was used, but said no charges have been filed in connection with the death.

"We will release details as necessary as they become available," said Peter Odom, a state assistant attorney general.

The two-story home is in a relatively quiet section of town generally occupied by families and empty-nesters. Geoff and Jocelynn Hamann live in the house with their two young children. Geoff Hamann declined to comment yesterday.

Outside, colorful toys were scattered in the tidy yard enclosed by a chain-link fence. A baby stroller, a Subaru SUV and a Chevrolet pickup truck were parked in the driveway. A bumper sticker on the truck read: "Gun Control means using both hands."

Police cordoned off about a block surrounding the house as they investigated yesterday morning. Rochester detectives dressed in white jump suits and wearing gloves carried out evidence to crime scene processing vans as neighbors looked out their windows or gathered on front steps to watch.

Police were at the house from about 1:45 a.m. to at least 2 p.m. They were looking for evidence in the yard of 69 Chestnut St., which abuts the back of the Hamanns' parcel. Police appeared to walk in a tangent from the Hamanns' house, continuing across Chestnut Street to the Rochester Fairgrounds. Detectives looked closely at the ground and at vehicles and buildings.

Odom would not comment on whether other homes were broken into yesterday morning in the area, but Jonathan Gray, 28, was picking up glass at his 76 Pine St. apartment, where he said someone had tried to get in by shattering a window. Gray said police told him they think the attempted break-in was connected to the shooting.

"He made it through one pane, but not the other," Gray said.

Mark Ladner owns a duplex at 61 Chestnut St. and said he also spoke with police about someone entering his vacant apartment and damaging a curtain sometime before the shooting.

Ladner said police collected clothing and a sneaker from the street outside his house and that the incident had left him concerned for his four children and wife, who live with him in the duplex.

"We're not getting a gun, but we're getting a bigger dog," Ladner said.

Odom said the public is not in danger. Police used reverse Emergency 911 to contact neighbors after the shooting to let them know they were not in danger.

Gaedtke had brushes with the law before, including charges in Durham District Court for simple assault, criminal trespassing, criminal mischief, operating after suspension and conduct after an accident. He also had a license revocation in 2003 for driving while intoxicated.

Gaedtke also appeared in local news last year after a domestic dispute with his father, Larry Gaedtke of Lee. The younger Gaedtke told police his father had marijuana at the family's house. Police confiscated 1 pound, 9 ounces of marijuana from the Lee home and charged the elder Gaedtke with a Class B felony of possession of drugs with intent to distribute.

Larry Gaedtke declined to comment yesterday when reached at his home.

The state Medical Examiner's Office is scheduled to conduct an autopsy on Gaedtke today.

Note - a comment on mASSbACKWARDS' blog mentioned that apparently the home owner is an ex-Marine... not too bright, breaking into his house.

Ross

Ross,

I pointed Bruce in the right direction and I'll do the same for you. He is a FORMER Marine. [wink]

Ross,Ross, Ross, never ever call them ex. It is alway Former Marine. At least you capitalised Marine. [lol] [lol] Bad Ross. [twisted]

Derek,

My dad's a retired MA state cop. He takes great pains to stress the "retired" cop, rather than "ex-cop", because, as he explained it to me, "ex-" implies that the person in question left the service under, shall we say, less-than-honorable circumstances.

I'm assuming the same goes here: An "ex-" Marine would be one who received a dishonorable discharge, right?

Coming from my father in law. Once a Marine,always a Marine. I should say he beat it into my head well. [lol] [lol] [lol]

Back
Top Bottom