Live free my butt - My run in with NH Police

Thinking about this for a bit, this is pretty outrageous. I wonder if it's standard procedure to have guns drawn in a situation like that. And also, cuffing without arrest? Seems more like they want to provoke trouble than prevent it. I bet many would justify it because of the recent cop deaths in NH. Safety (for the few) over liberty.

Why you haven't called selectmen, your town, etc is beyond me. Cops roll up on you, guns drawn no less, while no law is being broken?

I'm typically not one to say "call the gov", but jesus christ two twitchy trigger fingers just drew down on you and you aren't making their lives a legal hell? If you didn't know who it was (not expecting cops while doing something legal), and you "turned too fast", you could be sitting on ice right now dude. Think about it, and make sure that department doesn't get off easy on this, someone (YOU) could have seriously been hurt/killed. Not cool man.

The other problem with power lines these days is all the DHS nazi bulls**t going on. People with guns near power lines are probably "terrorists by default". [rolleyes] I'm sure some PDs have bogus training about this from the feds at some point or another these days. [thinking]

-Mike

There is more than a germ of truth in Mike's post. "Critical Infrastructure Protection and Security" is becoming a big deal for DHS and they still have plenty of money to throw around to local PD's who drink the Kool-Aid.

I could have sworn I had seen previously that target shooting was not allowed in WMA's, I can't find it again but I did just find this:

212:17 Penalty. – Any person found upon a state game refuge, except as may be permitted under RSA 212:15, or upon any land under the control of the executive director, which has been established by him as an area for the propagation of game, having in his possession a loaded firearm, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

I understand this incident didn't happen in a WMA, but as long as we are on the subject can anyone clarify if target shooting in one is allowed or not?

Found it: Fis 902.01... no target practice... or paintball [shocked]

Last edited:
That's what all my shooting is done at actual ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? Don't shift your convenience for anyone else if you're within your legal rights. That's the same as the open carry argument, "well it makes people uncomfortable, makes cops job more difficult". Who cares? That's not your problem. Use it or lose it man. The reason why he had guns drawn on him is because the collective mentality is that guns are bad, and shouldn't be in the public eye.

Why? Don't shift your convenience for anyone else if you're within your legal rights. That's the same as the open carry argument, "well it makes people uncomfortable, makes cops job more difficult". Who cares? That's not your problem. Use it or lose it man. The reason why he had guns drawn on him is because the collective mentality is that guns are bad, and shouldn't be in the public eye.
I'm really really looking forward to shooting on my family's property on the shore of Winnipesaukee this summer.

Did it every summer when my grandfather was alive, but when he died in '97 we had to take a 14 year hiatus until my grandmother passed away. Had a great time busting clays with the kids last summer and will bring the pistols this year.

Why do I mention this here? Because it speaks to the collective comfort level with the sound of gunfire that I'm working to reclaim on MY waterfront... similar to the point MichaelJR is making.

Its also a bad idea to shoot near power lines. They get pretty hinkey about vandalism.

I've had a couple of "contacts" with LEOs while shooting on private property. Its never been too much of a problem. In both cases the officers asked for ID and in both cases I laughed and refused.
On a couple of occasions an officer mentioned a breach of peace arrest. In both cases I laughed at him and told him I had permission from my wife in just these circumstances because there would be a cash benefit after the civil suit for an illegal arrest.

In both cases I remeinded them that their right to be on the property ended once they confirmed that nothing illegal was going on, and then told them to leave. And they left.

Of all the LEOs I've encountered, by far the best are Conservation Officers. I think its because they are used to engaging hunters, who are by definition armed.
In that case, I was shooting on state land. I shouldn't have been there. I knew it. They were about to just tell me to leave and asked for an ID. It was then I realized I didn't have any ID. Nothing. No drivers license, no pistol permit. Not even a credit card. Needless to say we spent 45 minutes waiting for all the checks to be made. But in this case I was the a55h01e. I was shooting on land where I wasn't supposed to shoot. (perfectly safe, and close to my home, I had been shooting there for 20 years with no problems)

Sorry for your suck day. Doesn't sound like a great holiday. At least you have a story to tell.

...because the a**h***s didn't just shoot you.

Say what you want, two idiots with badges and guns see a couple of guys OBVIOUSLY plinking, and their first response is to pull their guns in preperation to kill "for their safety", of course.[rolleyes] Piss off...these two a**h***s need to be fired.

Why you haven't called selectmen, your town, etc is beyond me. Cops roll up on you, guns drawn no less, while no law is being broken?

I'm typically not one to say "call the gov", but jesus christ two twitchy trigger fingers just drew down on you and you aren't making their lives a legal hell? If you didn't know who it was (not expecting cops while doing something legal), and you "turned too fast", you could be sitting on ice right now dude. Think about it, and make sure that department doesn't get off easy on this, someone (YOU) could have seriously been hurt/killed. Not cool man.

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks this....

Why should that have to be the case for everyone? That sounds like a Ma**h*** answer??

I never said it did. It's just MY personal preference. And as a matter of fact, I am indeed a former ma**h***. With that being said, if had a piece of land with 10 plus acres and shooting on my own property was legal, I wouldn't shoot anywhere but my own place.

Again, it's just MY current personal preference.

Of all the LEOs I've encountered, by far the best are Conservation Officers. I think its because they are used to engaging hunters, who are by definition armed.
In that case, I was shooting on state land. I shouldn't have been there. I knew it. They were about to just tell me to leave and asked for an ID. It was then I realized I didn't have any ID. Nothing. No drivers license, no pistol permit. Not even a credit card. Needless to say we spent 45 minutes waiting for all the checks to be made. But in this case I was the a55h01e. I was shooting on land where I wasn't supposed to shoot. (perfectly safe, and close to my home, I had been shooting there for 20 years with no problems)

I remember that one![laugh]

And why should that be the standard for everyone else? Your phrasing of where to shoot is what has lead to these comments.

When did I say it did? If I came off wrong in the first post I apologize. I should have said thats why I shoot at a club , because I don't want to deal with a couple of jack ass power trip LEOs, even though what whoever was doing was perfectly legal. If I had a piece of property where I could 100% legally shot, then I'd be all for it.

here is the list of potential instigators
TEMPLE-GREENVILLE JOINT POLICE DEPARTMENT
Personnel
  • James McTague Police Chief
  • Richard D'Auria Sergeant
  • Richard Sprankle Patrol Officer
  • Michael Needham Patrol Officer
  • CJ Rousseau Patrol Officer
  • Kay Lamarre Patrol Officer
  • Donald Valente Patrol Officer
  • Kevin Maxwell Patrol Officer

oh an the police board meets every first Monday of the month at 6:00 p.m.

Ok so I roll up after having been called on shots fired call. I find two guys with NEW YORK (no guns allowed) plates standing in a pile of brass [smile], what do you expect me to do. After all NH is where the boys from the Sopranos came to get rid of bodies - just saying.

And yeah it is live free,after all had this taken place in MA you'd still be in cuffs.

Ok so I roll up after having been called on shots fired call. I find two guys with NEW YORK (no guns allowed) plates standing in a pile of brass [smile], what do you expect me to do. After all NH is where the boys from the Sopranos came to get rid of bodies - just saying.

And yeah it is live free,after all had this taken place in MA you'd still be in cuffs.
God I really hope you were one of the LEOs [laugh2]

Planning to attend the Police Board meeting on Monday, I am also drafting a letter to 2A foundation to request any assistance they can offer.

Trying to tread somewhat lightly as I am in the process of starting a business in the same town.

Back
Top Bottom