• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Live free my butt - My run in with NH Police

Ok so I roll up after having been called on shots fired call. I find two guys with NEW YORK (no guns allowed) plates standing in a pile of brass [smile], what do you expect me to do. After all NH is where the boys from the Sopranos came to get rid of bodies - just saying.

And yeah it is live free,after all had this taken place in MA you'd still be in cuffs.

[popcorn] This thread just got better....

TDSNE said:
Ok so I roll up after having been called on shots fired call. I find two guys with NEW YORK (no guns allowed) plates standing in a pile of brass [smile], what do you expect me to do. After all NH is where the boys from the Sopranos came to get rid of bodies - just saying.

And yeah it is live free,after all had this taken place in MA you'd still be in cuffs.

Whole lot of assumptions in this post.

I've been harassed by the Ep's for riding my quad on power lines more times than i can remember,they just don't want you smiling and having fun, I also heard a rumor that there has been a govt grant just for the "tightening" of security on power lines some homeland security bs, maybe you should just take up heroin or crack guns are just dangerous, a drug addiction is cheaper and the state will help pay for it! Lol

Whole lot of assumptions in this post.

No assumptions - go back to post numero uno - the took his father in laws truck with NY plates. The boys that showed up had been sent out cause somebody had reported shots. Shots were fired hence a pile of brass.

Almost every weekend we drive into the land of make believe (Mass) to attend an IDPA or USPSA event - you cant tell me the cops don't look at the NH plates and wonder what we have in the car. There were NH cops that got pulled over cuffed and stuffed as they werent permitted to carry their guns into Mass. Granted that was before the LE carries everywhere thing but you get the idea.

Now just for minute honestly imagine a Mass badge rolling up on a NY plate with guns being fired - holy crap they would roll the SWAT teams[shocked].

As for the live free part - what I've learned is that that phrase applies to residents ie the folks that live here. Everyone else is free game. But ain't that the way it be everywhere?

Somehow its odd to me that folks that reside in the single most restrictive thou shalt not place in existence are pithing and whining about what amounts to a protective traffic stop. Hell top shooters nationwide are scared to come to Area 7 because the laws are re tar ded.

Just sayin.....

Oh, and we'll see how you react when a LEO holds you at gunpoint for doing something that is completely legal but makes a sheep uncomfortable.

Planning to attend the Police Board meeting on Monday, I am also drafting a letter to 2A foundation to request any assistance they can offer.

Trying to tread somewhat lightly as I am in the process of starting a business in the same town.

I gotta seek therapy as something about this is really chapping my ass - I somehow cant get it out of my head[frown]

So my question to all the Supermen that have a problem with gun drawn cops is this - exactly how do you approach armed subjects?
Armed subjects who have their arms in their hands?

I cant speak to those cops but I know nationwide most departments stopped handing out the Wonder Woman bullet deflecting bracelets since the bulls*itum was getting way to expensive. That and cops refused to practice with them.

Your planning on seeing if the 2nd Amendment boys will help you when you go ask why the towns officers came upon 2 armed subjects and saw fit to not see if they could do a .3 draw should you two NY'rs decided to spin around?
I'd be interested in hearing what the 2nd boys have to say - really I would.
I came to NH from Phoenix and I can tell you that in MOST "real" environments if you have even so much as the thought of something in your hand, not to mention a live pistol, your going to see far more of the cops gun than you may like.
I guess you don't even watch COPS on Saturday night. The phrase "Your not under arrest, this is for both our safety" when they cuff you is about as prevalent as heavy breathing while chasing Olympic wannabees.

I'm not a die hard cop supporter but honestly if the cops pull up and you have a gun in your hand - there will be a few tense moments. Why was it you "maintained downrange" with your barrel? Because you realized how explosive it could have become because they had guns too. Do you think they maybe thought the same. DUH.

Go to the meeting and be sure to explain that you weren't doing anything wrong while firing a gun inside town limits on potentially private property (someones got to own it). And be sure to express how appalled you were that the cops saw fit to ensure their safety against two armed subjects. Make sure you tell them that they took charge of the situation and covered all bases - licenses, wants and warrants, checked the weapons in the NCIC database. Hell at the end of it the cops will thank you cause they FOLLOWED PROCEDURE!

Just because NH is somewhat behind the rest of the big city BS curve doesn't mean cops don't get shot here!

And live free does NOT mean the impunity to do what the hell ever you want when you want to do it - or does it?

As for your making excuses for the action taken by those two clowns, does not validate thier over zealous and dangerous responce to a situtation where no laws were being violated. If you think that I have not dealt with shooters in sandpits and other areas that were lawful shoot in you are wrong, that was a day in the life for me. I always handled it as a casual encounter, made small talk about firearms, hunting or trapping, Or whatever else came up. Even when they were shooting in a place that they were not supposed to be. It was still treated as casual encounter and corrected the problem at hand.
I guess street cops don't have the balls that "Game Wardens" Have.

With all due respect - how many cops died in NH the last year you were on the force? How many just this year alone? I think, actually I know the world up here and everywhere else is just a tad bit different.

I got an email earlier this week sent nationwide listing out members of Congresses home addresses along with instructions on how to stalk and kill them. 29 pages of crap advocating killing those who enforce unjust laws.
I got news - I carry a gun - I have for years - cop or no cop I walk up to folks I don't know with guns in their hands I might at least have my hand on mine.

Buttmunch - I'm NOT a cop.

What I am is a person who recognizes that too damn many real cops and average people have died because they had the small minded, small town hillbilly mentality that apparently you possess.

Go find me any one who has a nodding acquaintance with reality who thinks walking up to trespassers several hundred miles from home with guns in their hands unarmed or un-holstered is smart and you can then form a club. You'll have two members.

Carry on with out me this thread has dissolved into the depths of silliness........

Go find me any one who has a nodding acquaintance with reality who thinks walking up to trespassers several hundred miles from home with guns in their hands unarmed or un-holstered is smart and you can then form a club. You'll have two members.

I'm in. That makes three.

Now go back to that shithole where you came from. You don't belong up in NH if you don't think it is a real "environment".

So my question to all the Supermen that have a problem with gun drawn cops is this - exactly how do you approach armed subjects?
Armed subjects who have their arms in their hands?

Citizens, not subjects.

Your choice of words is in that sentence alone explains why you don't get it.

What I am is a person who recognizes that too damn many real cops and average people have died because they had the small minded, small town hillbilly mentality that apparently you possess.

Carry on with out me this thread has dissolved into the depths of silliness........

You have a warped sense of reality. Stay the F out of NH and you won't wet your pants.

With all due respect - how many cops died in NH the last year you were on the force? How many just this year alone? I think, actually I know the world up here and everywhere else is just a tad bit different.

How many cops died when pinging recreational shooters or hunters in the woods (or elsewhere) in NH?

(crickets)

I completely support someone drawing down on someone when necessary, but this isn't even anything remotely close to a circumstance which justifies it.

You apparently have difficulty understanding the fact that not everyone carrying or using a firearm is a potential threat. Most of the people I have talked to (in NH or elsewhere) who have been pinged by LEOs/Conservation officers/etc while "afield" have NEVER had someone draw down on them while they were engaged in lawful activities.

-Mike

If anyone can recommend a good 4th Amendment attorney in NH I would appreciate the information. I plan on pursuing this further as it seems to me a very clear 4A violation based on existing case law.

First off, I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here - Cops lives are no more or less valuable than your and mine. Its a JOB, not a mandate from God. I have nothing against cops, and have some good friends that are cops.

Second, last time I was shooting in NH with a friend, it was on private property. She had permission from the owner, who then sold it without telling her. She had since met the new owner and had his OK to be there. My car couldn't handle the muddy hill, so I was parked away from the shooting area. When he showed up to say hi, he couldn't see her, just me with a FAL in my hands. Oh, and MASS plates. No guns where drawn on me. He just said "Hi whatcha up to?" I said just shooting with my friend... she popped into sight and he just said hi, "figured I'd come see who was up here and say hello, I want people to enjoy the land and I don't mind shooting, just dont have any parties, and Id appreciate it if you'd clean up when your done." We chatted for a little while, then he left.

third, (and please try and follow) If the person that your approaching has a reasonable belief that they are on property they are allowed to be on (town land, a friends land and they messed up the address, walked too far into the woods...what ever) even though YOU know its your property....if what you see is harmless target shooting...you walking up with a hand on your gun is MUCH more likely to get you shot than just saying "hi whats up?" because maybe YOU just made it a deadly encounter in THEIR eyes.

I hate to say it, but unless I'm at the range, Im with someone else. I bet many others do the same. Not being in uniform, and drawing a firearm on someone who believes they are allowed to be where they are (and who has NOT threatened YOU) will likely wind up with you in someones sights....and you might not even know they're there. Don't get yourself shot by threatening someone with deadly force when they did nothing to threaten you. If you cant tell the difference between plinking and threatening, I suggest you stick with pepper spray. Post your property, and call the cops if someones there that shouldn't be, don't play JR Rambo.

Might want to get a CCW badge to avoid such issues.

Last edited:
Now just for minute honestly imagine a Mass badge rolling up on a NY plate with guns being fired - holy crap they would roll the SWAT teams[shocked].//
This happened in NH. We don't have to imagine what happened, as the anonymous poster told us all about it.

I received a copy of the police report today, after my wife submitted the request on Monday the department sent an officer to the land owners house to discuss the issue with him. The officer asked to see plots of the lot to determine whether or not we were on his property. It appears we were within 20-40 feet of the property line. According to the land owner we were on his property but according to the tax maps it doesn't appear we were. His property abuts a piece of state land. The landowner claimed there are hikers on that trail and that we should be issued a warning and if we return we will be prosecuted. He is the clerk at the Hillsborough county superior court.

The report also had several inaccuracies, it recorded that we were shooting at a box on a rock with no back stop. We were shooting at a box in a mud gully with a 20-30ft hill behind it.

The officer also recorded that when asked whether I knew who owned the land I responded "I don't know" which was not the case, I actually responded "I believe it is state land but I am not 100%"

I have been in contact with PGNH and plan to talk to their general council about the issue.

I received a copy of the police report today, after my wife submitted the request on Monday the department sent an officer to the land owners house to discuss the issue with him. The officer asked to see plots of the lot to determine whether or not we were on his property. It appears we were within 20-40 feet of the property line. According to the land owner we were on his property but according to the tax maps it doesn't appear we were. His property abuts a piece of state land. The landowner claimed there are hikers on that trail and that we should be issued a warning and if we return we will be prosecuted. He is the clerk at the Hillsborough county superior court.

The report also had several inaccuracies, it recorded that we were shooting at a box on a rock with no back stop. We were shooting at a box in a mud gully with a 20-30ft hill behind it.

The officer also recorded that when asked whether I knew who owned the land I responded "I don't know" which was not the case, I actually responded "I believe it is state land but I am not 100%"

I have been in contact with PGNH and plan to talk to their general council about the issue.

So who is going to $urvey the land to determine if you were on state land or private property?

Hopefully an "independent surveyor". ;)

I shoot at a sand pit on the Cape once in a while if I know the local range is going to be packed. Not once have the police shown up. I'm usually only shooting .22's there of course.

To the OP: Good for you for pursuing this. I'd be pissed if I were drawn down on while shooting at a place where it's completely legal to do so.

Sadly yes. Stay west of Greenville. Remember the sheep in NH are south east.

Greenville and Temple are both beautiful towns, their PD's are made up Tackleberry transplants or simply small penised douchebags.

It is also a major depot on the NH/MA drug route.
Very beautiful town, but laying just beneath the surface is a bubbling pool of stool.

I just want to be sure I got this right. So next time I am heading to NH for some camping I can pull over, grab my guns and ammo, head into the woods and start blasting away? Cool, I love NH! Beware hikers and picnicers I'm comming north.[mg][rockon]

I got an email earlier this week sent nationwide listing out members of Congresses home addresses along with instructions on how to stalk and kill them. 29 pages of crap advocating killing those who enforce unjust laws.
I got news - I carry a gun - I have for years - cop or no cop I walk up to folks I don't know with guns in their hands I might at least have my hand on mine.

Please don't speak for LE unless you are one. Faulty logic like the one above has been used for years by the gun grabbers to justify gun control, only widening the cavernous divide between LE and the public.

As a cop, I'll be the first one to say you can't be afraid to police an armed society. If that bothers you, go play with fire hoses or deliver mail.

My buddy asked me to come try out his new pistol down the power lines (in Mass!) I asked him if he was crazy? He said we will be out of there before the cops show up! I do not feel right about shooting somewhere my/your kids may be over the next rise riding MX or mountain bikes. Maybe times have changed but when I was a kid we lived in the woods playing all day until we got hungry.

The a**h*** some how came around the backstop, and stopped in front of my target, I was on the sights of a target rifle and had no perifiral vision. All I saw was the red shirt where my target was, He screwed when I yelled.
So your excuse doesn't work.

...and then there was the poor hapless jack rabbit that unwittingly hopped into the middle of an impromptu range a few of my buddies and I had set up out in the middle of the Mohave desert back in the 70's when I was in the navy...[mg]

This was back before it was illegal to own anything more powerful than a Daisy BB gun in Cal

Last edited:
If you are sure of your backstop and there are no town bylaws what's the problem. Don't make excuses for why we can't shoot in the woods.

I am not making excuses just telling you why I enjoy shooting at the range. If little Johnny gets shot playing at the range thats a little different than if he gets shot playing in his back yard. Just my opinion.

My buddy asked me to come try out his new pistol down the power lines (in Mass!) I asked him if he was crazy? He said we will be out of there before the cops show up! I do not feel right about shooting somewhere my/your kids may be over the next rise riding MX or mountain bikes. Maybe times have changed but when I was a kid we lived in the woods playing all day until we got hungry.

Shooting where your kids are over the next rise is fine as long as you have a good view of the next rise. We shot for years in a place where the road was only 50 ft beyond the sand embankment we were shooting at. We shot at targets at the base. If someone came over the top, we'd have PLENTY of warning.

As far as the safety of the road, you couldn't hit the road if you tried. To clear the embankment, you'd have to elevate your gun about 40 degrees above horizontal. At that angle, the bullet would go sailing a mile over the road.

One day we caught someone setting up multiple targets at various places up the embankment. We got him to stop doing that. The safety came from the fact that if someone popped over the top, they were not in the line of fire. By setting up the way he did, that safety was lost. He listened and we all had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom