• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Live free my butt - My run in with NH Police

I'd like to preface this by saying this is not my primary account, I don't want this tied to my main account.

I decided to take my Father-in-law out shooting today he wanted to try out one of my pistols and I figured I'd shoot mine a bit while we were at it. We went to a piece of public land in Greenville, NH (pretty much in the middle of nowhere). We were about 150 yards off the road down a power line, we took my FIL's truck which has NY plates on it, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal in NH.

We setup a box down in a gully, had a backstop of about 50+ feet of a hill and beyond that the closest residence was well over half a mile. We had gone through about 15 rounds between the two pistols I was in the middle of a mag on my 1911 when I hear from behind me "Put down the weapon now", I turn to look (maintained weapon down range) had muffs on and couldn't hear well. There are two Greenville/Temple PD officers approaching my FIL and I guns drawn and aimed at our chests. I get hollered at again to put down the weapon, I slowly reach down and set the gun down on the grass.

We were instructed to put our hands in the air and slowly walk toward them, guns on us the whole time. We get about 6 feet away and were told to turn around and get down on our knees. We do so and proceed to get cuffed, still have our muffs on. One officer stands each of us up and takes our muffs off. They proceed to demand to know what we think we're doing shooting right next to the road. Telling us they could bust us for littering if we don't pick up every piece of brass. We were both frisked and everything from my pockets was taken out, they took my ID to run back at the truck. One officer pocketed my knife to keep it "safe".

We were told we were not supposed to be shooting so close to a road and that they got called for shots fired. We were asked what we were doing, I said we were target shooting. They said shooting right next to the road was crazy and someone called on us. Told us we were shooting were there were rocks and a round could bounce and go over the hill.

One of the officers took the pistols, they told us to go collect our brass then head down to the trucks. As we were collecting brass they told us to pack up and follow them and leave the brass. (contrary to busting us for littering for leaving the brass) We followed them down to the truck, they proceeded to run both of our licenses and both guns through stolen firearms checks. One of the officers lightened up a bit, told us to go shooting at a sandpit or in my backyard but not at the power lines.

I proceeded to ask what the set back for legal shooting by a road was, I was told 30 feet (it's actually 15 by law). I asked who owned the land, he stated he didn't know but he thought it was owned by town of Greenville. I was given my firearms back and my license, and the nice officer remembered to give me the spyderco pocket knife back which was nice. One of them was nice and shook our hands, they both departed and we went on our way.

So to summarize, we were held at gunpoint, cuffed and questioned. Run through NCIC checks and threatened with a $250 littering fine and then told not to pick up the brass all because someone called the police because "people are shooting". Oh, and while we were in cuffs we were told "just so you know you're not under arrest".

Live Free or die my ass.

Greenville/Temple = Sheepville.

Officers of both PD's are Barney Fifes. Thankfully you left Fido at home he would have been shot on contact.

Wow, Barney was real determined to find you seeing there wearing body armor and a dark uniform in this heat and sun. Every time I've had the cops show up at "my" place of shooting, they wait in their A/C'ed cruiser for me by my car. Never had guns drawn and were pretty cool considering they're harassing me for legal shooting and I'm better armed than they are.

thehoyt said:
Wow, Barney was real determined to find you seeing they are wearing body armor and a dark uniform in this heat and sun. Every time I've had the cops show up at "my" place of shooting, they wait in their A/C'ed cruiser for me by my car. Never had guns drawn and were pretty cool considering they're harassing me for legal shooting and I'm better armed than they are.

EDIT: spelling mistake

They had GUNS DRAWN on you when you were obviously target shooting? Is there anything else about this incident that you didn't put in your post that would cause them to do that?

So you're saying I should cross Greenville off my relocation search?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

So you're saying I should cross Greenville off my relocation search?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Sadly yes. Stay west of Greenville. Remember the sheep in NH are south east.

Greenville and Temple are both beautiful towns, their PD's are made up Tackleberry transplants or simply small penised douchebags.

Believe it or not Greenville has a fair amount of drug and gang activity.
Not the best place to shootin' off the side of the road.
Most of the local places to shoot I know of are a lil' bit of a walk in.

Greenville area is known to have asshats for LEO's etc...it's the southeast NH mentality....

But that being said...you said (if I understand you correctly) that you were on a powerline right of way? If so, that isn't public land..it's actually owned by whatever power company has the right of way, or it's under easement from private property owners...Power line owners get real skittish about people firing guns under their lines...too many insulators etc have been damaged by miscreants that can't resist seeing shards of ceramic flying through the air as their .223 62gr bullet hits it.

On the other hand, if you were truly shooting on public land, 150 yds from the road...yup, they were being asshats.

derek said:
Sadly yes. Stay west of Greenville. Remember the sheep in NH are south east.

Greenville and Temple are both beautiful towns, their PD's are made up Tackleberry transplants or simply small penised douchebags.

Thanks for the info Derek I'll add it to my list of places not to move to.

Sounds like an over-reaction by the PD, however, "Live Free or Die" doesn't exactly mean "I Can Shoot on Anybody's Property Without Their Permission".

P.S., why don't you want this tied to your main account?

They had GUNS DRAWN on you when you were obviously target shooting? Is there anything else about this incident that you didn't put in your post that would cause them to do that?

No sir, backs to the road, one of us with a pistol the other watching, range bag on the ground, box down in the gully. I turned around to the voices to the barrels of two S&W 4006's (it appeared). That is the entire story of initial contact.

Sounds like an over-reaction by the PD, however, "Live Free or Die" doesn't exactly mean "I Can Shoot on Anybody's Property Without Their Permission".

P.S., why don't you want this tied to your main account?

It was public owned land, and because Greenville PD has my info and knows about the incident (since they were there) I don't want them tying that info easily to my other account. It wouldn't be that hard for them but at least this way if they wanted to go through my other account they would need warrants to get it.

I know where I live, all the land under the power lines is posted no trespassing.

The utility companies are rightfully concerned about people trespassing on their right of way, too many lines have been damaged, too many people thought it was a cool thing to climb the towers or steal copper from the sub stations

I know where I live, all the land under the power lines is posted no trespassing.

The utility companies are rightfully concerned about people trespassing on their right of way, too many lines have been damaged, too many people thought it was a cool thing to climb the towers or steal copper from the sub stations

It is not posted land, it is owned by the town of Greenville and there is an easement for the power lines. It is a common hunting area where people hike the trail up into the area.

Greenville is as big as my thumb,hard to believe there is any public land there,I won't set foot in that town and take all the back roads if I go to SLG

It is not posted land, it is owned by the town of Greenville and there is an easement for the power lines. It is a common hunting area where people hike the trail up into the area.

Power lines are a big no no, even if the town owns the land the power company has to grant permission to use it. they won't get pissy about walking along it but shooting or driving will get you in trouble. I am guessing you are not a resident of NH as well.

The other problem with power lines these days is all the DHS nazi bulls**t going on. People with guns near power lines are probably "terrorists by default". [rolleyes] I'm sure some PDs have bogus training about this from the feds at some point or another these days. [thinking]

-Mike

Power lines are a big no no, even if the town owns the land the power company has to grant permission to use it. they won't get pissy about walking along it but shooting or driving will get you in trouble. I am guessing you are not a resident of NH as well.

Power lines are not posted, I believe part of the easement is typically to allow recreational use. The officers admitted it is a popular hunting spot but claimed that was ok because it's only a single shot now and then.

Lived here 3 years actually, can you find the law stating power lines are off limits for shooting? I'd be interested in the RSA#. I have found the below listing from PGNH.
Q: Where is it legal to shoot?

A: Per state law (RSAs 207:3-a, 207:3-c, and 644:13), you may not shoot across or within 15 feet of a road, or “within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow is situated.”

You also may not discharge a firearm within the “compact part of a town or city,” defined as “the territory within a town or city comprised of the following:
(a) Any nonresidential, commercial building, including, but not limited to, industrial, educational, or medical buildings, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all such buildings without permission of the owner.
(b) Any park, playground, or other outdoor public gathering place designated by the legislative body of the city or town.
(c) Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent dwellings and the spaces between them where each such building is within 300 feet of at least one of the others, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all the buildings in such area.”

Power lines are not posted, I believe part of the easement is typically to allow recreational use. The officers admitted it is a popular hunting spot but claimed that was ok because it's only a single shot now and then.

Lived here 3 years actually, can you find the law stating power lines are off limits for shooting? I'd be interested in the RSA#. I have found the below listing from PGNH.
you believe wrong, trespassing is trespassing if you are asked to leave you need to leave, no power lines are legal for motor vehicle use in NH. I have friends that have been working to get access to private land for years and years.

Lastly if you do not feel NH is free and you live here vote to change it, if you don't live here do what you did in your state and see how things go.

6.9 s mi with a population of roughly 310 per sq mi...doesn't leave alot of room shooting sports...including hunting.

you believe wrong, trespassing is trespassing if you are asked to leave you need to leave, no power lines are legal for motor vehicle use in NH. I have friends that have been working to get access to private land for years and years.

Lastly if you do not feel NH is free and you live here vote to change it, if you don't live here do what you did in your state and see how things go.

First off I already said I am a NH resident, secondly I said the area we were shooting was owned by the town. Not sure about your area of NH but around here town land is open to the public unless posted for some other reason (DPW, town pool with hours etc.) I have never heard of a town parcel of forest that did not allow shooting as it's "publicly owned" land. So how can you say being on an easement that is technically owned by the town is trespassing? Also, there is no trespassing in NH on non-posted land until after you are asked to leave. Land in NH is generally considered open unless it is posted:

Common law in New Hampshire gives the public the right of access to land that's not posted. You won't find that in state law books, because it is common law, going back to the philosophy of New England's early colonists and supported over the centuries by case law. Our forefathers knew the importance of balancing the need for landowners' rights with that of the public good. On one hand, the landowner can make decisions about his or her land. On the other hand, the public should have limited rights to use and enjoy that land. The colonists held similar democratic notions about rivers, lakes, fish and wildlife.

So regardless of who owned it I wouldn't have been breaking a law unless I had been asked to leave and either refused or proceeded to re-enter the property.

Also the vehicle was at the main road not on the power lines so that argument would be moot as well.

ETA: Closest home in any direction was well over 1000ft closest home in the general direction of the shooting was well over 3000ft and off to the side shooting was at a solid backstop.

I think you are over reacting about as much as the PD did.

A few asshat cops a stones throw from the Massachusetts border should not make your impression of the state.

Laws notwithstanding, it does sound like you were pretty close to the road and in that area, you are asking for people to call you in.

Getting away from the range to shoot is nice but if you are going to do so, put some effort into it. I would not call effort shooting in extreme southern NH under the power lines. Take a ride north or northwest, I seriously think most people here don't realize that that the state of NH actually does exist north of Concord.

Oh, and we'll see how you react when a LEO holds you at gunpoint for doing something that is completely legal but makes a sheep uncomfortable.

I spent the weekend in Rumney NH and on the way there Saturday morning in what I believe is Plymouth NH we went by an airport on one side of the road and someone was shooting on the other side of the road. From the sound of it, multiple handguns, they weren't too far off the road. Didn't see any cops sharpening up their SWAT gear nearby.

If someone called and reported the gunfire the cops were obligated to investigate. I'd assume that they preferred to disarm you and make themselves safe until they could prove you weren't a couple crazies that would make their chance of safely going home to their families difficult. Especially after seeing the NY license plates.

Last edited:
I understand it that shooting around lines like that is frowned upon at least. However, police showing up guns drawn? Someone wanted to be a tacticool ninja, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom