• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Live Fire Requirements for CT and FL

robmcd

Instructor
I have been asked several times lately whether live fire training is required for a Florida or Connecticut permit.

Connecticut specifically calls it out on the DESPP Special Licensing and Firearms Unit website. See it here. Note that there are 5 courses that I know of that they will accept, but they do not publish a list like Massachusetts does. Also note that simulated fire alternatives are not allowed.

Florida lists several categories of acceptable courses in their instructions to applicants. Several of these courses do not include live fire, which might lead applicants and Instructors to believe that courses such as NRA Home Firearm Safety meet the requirement. However, Florida Statute 790.06 requires Instructors to witness safe gun handling and the live discharge of a firearm. See it here. Read the paragraph following 790.06 2-h 7. Again, they do not allow simulated fire alternatives.

I have a FL license with no live discharge instruction. I sent FL a copy of my certificate from the handgun course my local PD put on.

I have a FL license with no live discharge instruction. I sent FL a copy of my certificate from the handgun course my local PD put on.

I have no doubt that some licenses are issued by Florida based upon non live fire course certificates when the Department of Licensing is not familiar with the course name. They are, however, beginning to return some applications when they are uncertain or if they know in fact that the course curriculum does not include live fire. The statute is still quite clear.

I have been asked several times lately whether live fire training is required for a Florida or Connecticut permit.

Connecticut specifically calls it out on the DESPP Special Licensing and Firearms Unit website. See it here. Note that there are 5 courses that I know of that they will accept, but they do not publish a list like Massachusetts does. Also note that simulated fire alternatives are not allowed.

Florida lists several categories of acceptable courses in their instructions to applicants. Several of these courses do not include live fire, which might lead applicants and Instructors to believe that courses such as NRA Home Firearm Safety meet the requirement. However, Florida Statute 790.06 requires Instructors to witness safe gun handling and the live discharge of a firearm. See it here. Read the paragraph following 790.06 2-h 7. Again, they do not allow simulated fire alternatives.

Wrt CT, I once read that they accept NRA PPIH or PPOH, but was later told that they don't. Do you know if DESPP has actually stated this one way or the other?

Wrt FL, their info is written in a way that could be confusing.

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

and then (h) 7. says

. . . a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

I read this as NRA HFS (no shooting required) is OK, OR a course with shooting.

Len:

I believe that most courses, including Home Firearm Safety, would be acceptable to Florida provided it included a supplemental live fire session that was so stipulated in writing. I have clarified this by speaking directly with the Bureau Chief at the Florida DOL. They actually called me to ask if a course included live fire. They are pretty easy to get along with, and will even accept an affidavit on the Instructor's letterhead. To confirm the live fire requirement you can call them at 850-245-5691 or email them at [email protected].

There are a few online courses for a Florida permit such as this one. Note what they have to say about the live fire requirement (example: click on Live Fire, then Out of State). Talk about blended learning!

Connecticut will accept NRA Basic Pistol, the old S&W CT Carry course, the Sig carry course, MA Pistol License course (LTC-002 with live fire), and one other course submitted by a former MA LEO who now lives in CT. Speaking from experience, getting a course approved by CT is a lengthy and involved process. I can't speak as to whether they might accept PPIH, but you could call the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit and ask for Rose who could answer that for you.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob.

That FL course looks like what NRA wants BP to look like!

After the holidays I might just follow up on CT.

One of the reasons I have and maintain my NRA Instructor and CRSO ratings is to make applying for out of state licenses easier. Plus I enjoy teaching new shooters, and I believe teaching makes me a better shooter. I also take more courses as time and cash allows. Never stop learning!

Looking at the Florida app, it says that "documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition" is an acceptable form of training documentation.

Would a copy of my USPSA membership card (with C classifications in two divisions) be sufficient?

Looking at the Florida app, it says that "documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition" is an acceptable form of training documentation.

Would a copy of my USPSA membership card (with C classifications in two divisions) be sufficient?

Don't know but seriously suggest a phone call. They are very helpful and you'll get a straight answer.

Yes, I believe that Florida will accept it.

I received the following confirmation email from the Florida DOL this morning:

"As a matter of fact, Florida law does require firearms instructors certified by the National Rifle Association (NRA) to teach a course that requires students to safely handle and discharge a firearm. Let me direct your attention to section 790.06(2)(h) Florida Statutes. This is the part Florida law that establishes the firearms competency requirement for the Florida concealed weapon license. Subparagraphs 2, 3, and 7 specifically identify NRA firearms safety or training courses as acceptable means of qualifying for the Florida concealed weapon license.

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor.

I want to call your attention to another paragraph that appears right after subparagraph 7. I have reproduced that paragraph in its entirety below. The relevant language pertaining to the handling and discharge of a firearm appears in red lettering.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm.

As I told you on the telephone, there is a piece of legislation currently being considered by the Legislature here in Florida that will provide even greater clarification concerning the requirement that NRA instructors include a range component in the training they provide. If this legislation is passed, the law will require an NRA instructor to maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student and discharge the firearm in the instructor's physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm involved live fire of a firearm using ammunition as defined in s. 790.001(19). Ammunition is defined in Florida law as follows:

(19) “Ammunition” means an object consisting of all of the following:

(a) A fixed metallic or nonmetallic hull or casing containing a primer.

(b) One or more projectiles, one or more bullets, or shot.

(c) Gunpowder.

In short, this legislation will have the effect of disallowing NRA instructors from providing firearms training using alternative firearms technologies.

If you have any questions, please get back in touch with me at your convenience.

Ken Wilkinson
Assistant Director
Division of Licensing
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

(850) 245-5500
(850) 245-5505 Fax
[email protected]

4040 Esplanade Way1st Floor, Suite 135
Tallahassee, Florida 32399

www.FreshFromFlorida.com"

Last edited:
Back