Live Eels

My bait shop for live eels is gone on the plymouth coast, any one have a place to go close to plymouth for good fresh bait. Thanks

If you have a lil' free time,try this.
Get minnow trap & set it in a brackish saltmarsh estuary.
Be sure you have choosen a clandestine location (nothing worse then being pillaged or loosin a trap).
Aquire some bait,I find a McDonald's burger (dollar menu) works best for bait ,but oily leftovers (porkchops & lasagna) will yield.
Set the trap w/ "burger bait" before the first daylight high tide. If you have a decent location it will fill up w/minnows
Leave the minnows in the trap overnight (live bait works best).Eels are nocturnal & will enter the trap at night to feed on the minnows
Check trap the next morning & throw em' on a hook by the dozen .

I used to use a can of cat food punctured with an ice pick. Set the trap overnight right in Watertown square in the Charles River. Had some monster eels for bait the next day.

My father does this every time he goes out and gets a ton of eels. A friend of his keeps them in a running brook that goes through his yard.

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried tuna/cat food the first night and got two, I used boiled chicken skins the second night and got six more. Unfortunately 8 eels netted no stripers.

If you have a lil' free time,try this.
Get minnow trap & set it in a brackish saltmarsh estuary.
Be sure you have choosen a clandestine location (nothing worse then being pillaged or loosin a trap).
Aquire some bait,I find a McDonald's burger (dollar menu) works best for bait ,but oily leftovers (porkchops & lasagna) will yield.
Set the trap w/ "burger bait" before the first daylight high tide. If you have a decent location it will fill up w/minnows
Leave the minnows in the trap overnight (live bait works best).Eels are nocturnal & will enter the trap at night to feed on the minnows
Check trap the next morning & throw em' on a hook by the dozen .

Jeez... I was hoping you'd say leave the eels there one more night and the trap would be full of stripers the next morning!

Reminds me of an old three stooges routine where Curly is fishing and keeps catching progressively bigger fish. He says something like "Go back and get your father" as he throws the smaller fish back...

Hey all I used 1 grilled hamburger and a frozen chicken broth chum and got 20 eels in one night. We went out and caught 3 keeper bass on sunday/monday. Thank you for the idea.

20 eels? Awesome. Saved yourself about 30 bucks in bait right there.

Any size to the eels? The ones I usually get <12" don't do very well as I need to stuff weights in them to get any casting distance.

Eels are now $2.50 at the water front ( only place I found them) in Plymouth. We circle hook them and toss them over, they swim away and do all the rest. Most are around 12" but some get up to 18" or so, we use them first.

No I am going to try that next,last night only yielded 3 but 2 were 16" +. Three of us went out today and landed 5 between 30 -42" with about 6 more between 24 and 28. Beautiful weather and non stop action!

We are hooked. The eel catching has slowed down so I am having to spread out the search, eel river has to strong a current on 3a for me. We ( my wife and neighbor) went out sunday and my wife landed a 42" bass and then the neighbor got one the same size only fatter. I had to watch.and drive the boat. Made a net after loosing two @ the boat and won't go out without that again. Takes the worry out of that last bit at the boat. Best year we have ever had for large bass and it's not done yet. Sorry to spout but there have been a lot of schoolies with few keepers over the years, it's a nice change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom