• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Live Ammo Found In Bonfire Logs

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Two 12-year-old German girls found live ammunition lodged into a branch in an Easter bonfire. It was due to be lit the next day, potentially igniting the cartridges and causing disaster.

1398174569_48042995.jpg

http://www.thelocal.de/20140422/girls-find-live-munition-in-easter-bonfire

What kind of scumbag does this ???

How did they find it?
Looks like art or Russian battlefield trees.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

it actually is a cool looking piece of art.....what caliber ammo is that?
Looks like sort of a fail if intended to do harm.

The casings are much lighter than the projectiles, so the shells would fly out and leave the projectiles behind in the fire...the shells would have to be fixed very tight into the log to cause a threat

The casings are much lighter than the projectiles, so the shells would fly out and leave the projectiles behind in the fire...the shells would have to be fixed very tight into the log to cause a threat

And I don't think the wood surrounding the case would act as a good chamber. Wouldn't they just pop?

I second mythbusters.

Ether way. Some sick **** though he was going to hurt/kill people.

Disturbing.

However since the casing is stuck in log the log weighs more than the bullet there is a good possibility they would move with some force

However since the casing is stuck in log the log weighs more than the bullet there is a good possibility they would move with some force

And the casings are held in the log with some frictional force - the projectiles are protruding with no contact with the log and appear free to move forward. If the force of friction on the casing overcomes the resulting accelerating force on the casing (reaction forces and accelerating forces on the projectile) the casing likely stays where it is and the projectile will move.

Jacked up. I can't stand this "let's just hurt random people" cowardly crap.

I agree that the casings look they are wedged in pretty well. You can see the bark cracked around a few of them. I think the rounds would be ejected, although probably not all simultaneously like the jackass imagined. One would go off first, and hopefully people would scatter from the fire.

Physics notwithstanding, someone planned to cause some harm (or at the very least, thought they'd cause a funny scene without any regard to others' safety). Hopefully they get caught and neutered.

As one who has put just about everything in a fire ammo was the least exciting.
Pine sap "pop " has sent more debris through the air..... canned corn is pretty devistating but ammo has just went poof. I have not tried wedging it in a log though.....hmmmmm. I might have to try it on the next controlled burn.

Wasn't this the suggestion in the "How do I keep people from stealing my firewood?" thread? I think they discovered some of that stolen wood.

i've got a "hidden" round of 5.45 and the soiled underpants of about a dozen people who'd disagree with you.

it's exciting when it's a surprise. bitches love surprises.
Ewhhh you kept their pantries....LOL stupid kids we where. I'm still surprised no one shot their eye out. The large cans of "NET" brand hair spray almost empty where quite a surprise....when we built the fire pipe mortar things got a little real interesting.

Jacked up. I can't stand this "let's just hurt random people" cowardly crap.

Cowardly yes but not exactly random, this was found at a "Shooting club". I'd bet dollars to dognuts this was placed by an anti-gun person or persons intent on creating an incident they could blame on the club.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE VALUE OF TERRORISM !

i've got a "hidden" round of 5.45 and the soiled underpants of about a dozen people who'd disagree with you.

it's exciting when it's a surprise. bitches love surprises.

They can be VERY suprising when you don't expect them.

However. I will say my shorts stayed "unsoiled"!

Who said ammunition doesn't grow on trees.
I don't think these would do anything but go pop but some sick bastard obviously thought they would

Who said ammunition doesn't grow on trees.
I don't think these would do anything but go pop but some sick bastard obviously thought they would

I'd be willing to bet they'd do a lot more than just go pop. Especially if whatever sick **** did this had epoxied them into those holes. [thinking] (I'm not saying this WAS done or even speculating that it was...just saying that I believe it would certainly make a difference)
Also, depending on the type of tree, it may have an 'all natural' glue built right into it's sap that could produce similar results.

Last edited:
I don't think the person who did this thought anyone would ever realistically throw this into a fire without noticing the 8 rounds hanging out of it.

I'd be willing to bet they'd do a lot more than just go pop. Especially if whatever sick **** did this had epoxied them into those holes. [thinking] (I'm not saying this WAS done or even speculating that it was...just saying that I believe it would certainly make a difference)
Also, depending on the type of tree, it may have an 'all natural' glue built right into it's sap that could produce similar results.
it is possible. Even if they were held in with epoxy the log would still need to be secured. I guess it would also depend on where the heat was concentrated.
Sick bastard to try it no matter what the outcome

I don't think the person who did this thought anyone would ever realistically throw this into a fire without noticing the 8 rounds hanging out of it.

From the link:
The girls, Nane and Charlotte, were climbing on a pile of wood set to be the fire, when they found a 20-centimetre-long branch buried in the heap into which someone had drilled nine holes and inserted machine gun cartridges.

This was an intentional act.

Whoever did this is a psycho, regardless of whether the effect would have been as deadly as he planned.

My google foo is still weak this morning.

In the Steamboat days, a number of steamboats were destroyed with bombs that consisted of a log, hollowed out and filled with gunpowder. When the "special" log is tossed in the boiler...

I'll bet those cartridges got into the log when they were fired from a rifle. Check out the picture in post #48 that EC posted in this thread. [laugh]

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see a picture of the cartridges-in-a-branch appearing on an "everyidiotsforgunsafety" page.

Back
Top Bottom