• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Little ice fishing project

Okay, it may be overkill, but I gotta tell ya..... Holy crap it was a lot of fun fishing with it. It worked great, although a missed a few fish with it. I think I needed a slightly larger hook. The fish always were caught on the lip, even the pickerel. And man was it fun fighting a 2 1/2 pound large mouth on that little rod and reel vs. hand lining a regular tip up setup.

We killed it today targeting our fare, perch and crappie. Biggest crappie weighed in at 1 1/2 pounds. Biggest one we ever caught. Big fish fry under way at home during the football game. Pete

Resized_20191229_121641.jpeg

Pretty cool, but on windy days especially the only reliable tip ups have submerged spools to keep the line from freezing
The late season, warmer days your rod holding tip up could be great

Wind tip ups jig the lure/bait when the wind blows. They are often the best for walleye, trout, and bass. Those are cool designs to tinker with, and would work better with a rod like your setup (if you can overcome the freezing issue)

Back
Top Bottom