little help with red dot on an ak

btnh6668

NES Member
So i currently have red dots on my Ar's which i like to setup so that the dot is sitting right on top of the first sight in a co witness setup. I have no desire to do co witness with my ak since i spent money on a rs regulate mount that holds zero very well. So if i want to use irons ill just take my rail mount off. How do you setup your red dots on your ak?

I only have 1 AK, and it’s perfect to me the way it is in its preban state, but if I was thinking of yours, I’d suggest a Larue flip to the side mount for the RDS (or whatever the cool name is for those mounts, I forget right now), easy to just push it out of the way and go to irons without having to remove it.

Red dot.

On an AK.

Does not compute.....

No, just kidding. If your mount holds zero, just tighten it to the mount and then put on/take off. Any slight discrepancy in the zero won't be much (if any) worse than the built-in inaccuracy using the irons.

Rob ski at AKOU is liking the AK Master Mount. Very low profile. https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4...t-Optic-Mount-AK-Master-Mount-Optic-Mount.htm

The sight picture is busy with the optic mounted without a riser. PA GLX 2X 7.62. I wouldn't call it co-witness, just part of the gun in the sight picture to the lower right that I have to consciously ignore.

Mounting it with a riser cleans up the picture, but it makes it kind of goofily tall.

The low mount gives a good traditional cheek weld where using the riser makes it more of a chin weld. I went with feel and don't use any riser.

I don't know if you will have the same problem with the sight picture using a red dot compared to the prism scope.

Last edited:
Rob ski at AKOU is liking the AK Master Mount. Very low profile. https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4...t-Optic-Mount-AK-Master-Mount-Optic-Mount.htm

The sight picture is busy with the optic mounted without a riser. PA GLX 2X 7.62. I wouldn't call it co-witness, just part of the gun in the sight picture to the lower right that I have to consciously ignore.

Mounting it with a riser cleans up the picture, but it makes it kind of goofily tall.

The low mount gives a good traditional cheek weld where using the riser makes it more of a chin weld. I went with feel and don't use any riser.

I don't know if you will have the same problem with the sight picture using a red dot compared to the prism scope.
yea it looks a bit weird with a high mount. Maybe ill just use the medium mount and see how comfortable i am with it.

Red dot.

On an AK.

Does not compute.....

No, just kidding. If your mount holds zero, just tighten it to the mount and then put on/take off. Any slight discrepancy in the zero won't be much (if any) worse than the built-in inaccuracy using the irons.
Normally i would agree. As am getting older my eyes aren't focusing on the ak sights like they use to. I still do ok with the m1 iron sights thankfully. This is basically a trial run. If i really like how it shoots with it on i may put some on my other ak's. I normally don't shoot past 100 yards anyway.

Normally i would agree. As am getting older my eyes aren't focusing on the ak sights like they use to. I still do ok with the m1 iron sights thankfully. This is basically a trial run. If i really like how it shoots with it on i may put some on my other ak's. I normally don't shoot past 100 yards anyway.

When I bought my WASR it came with a cheapo side mount, then I traded for a gun that had a cheap red (green?) dot thrown in. I shrugged and thought, "why not?" Took it out to the range one day just to see what it was like.

I didn't feel like it helped me at all, but then I've been shooting irons for many years.

Last edited:
If you have a standard rail, look at Zentico for a light weight mount works great. If you don’t have a rail on the gun, conventional wisdom says to swap out the gas tube for a railed one. There are other options but they are either very pricy or require replacing the rear site mounting point.

So i currently have red dots on my Ar's which i like to setup so that the dot is sitting right on top of the first sight in a co witness setup. I have no desire to do co witness with my ak since i spent money on a rs regulate mount that holds zero very well. So if i want to use irons ill just take my rail mount off. How do you setup your red dots on your ak?
how much off zero would be to much.
I never really understood this "holding zero" unless its way off.
the influence of the shooter, changing light, ammo < which is generally the cheapest shit we can muster for x39 shooting will have as much or even greater influence on your "zero" than removable mounts that are of decent quality? Also unless your shooting a AMR of less than 2 moa will you even notice a shift in poi?

I have a Midwest Industries side mount and Vortex Strikefire on my Arsenal AK. I shoot it iron sights during matches at Mass Rifle. Iron sights have been good enough for two 2nd place finishes. My early StrikeFire died this year, just got a gen 2 replacement. Want to see how that will do. I'll give Kudos to Vortex for customer service with respect to replacing the original StrikeFire.

Back
Top Bottom