• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

List Your Reason(s) for Requesting Unrestricted...

Sorry in advance if this has been covered, I did a half hour of searching.

I'm applying for my first renewal in Methuen, I was originally issued an ALP LTC (actually, Protection of Life and Property the first time around, IIRC) in Everett in 1996, and have maintained it ever since. I see that Methuen is extemely "green," but I'd like to avoid stepping on myself if I can avoid it. Anybody have experience with an answer that doesn't raise eyebrows?

When I first got my ltc, the officer that handed me the application said, " On this line write 'All Lawful Purposes' ". He also told me that as long as a person is not prohibited "Our Chief issues unrestricted licenses"
At my last renewal interview, the licensing officer told me of our little town of under 6000 that he issues enough licenses to "arm a battalion"
Nice to live in a green town.
A few years ago, the old timer across the street was shooting woodchuck that were eating up his garden. Some a**h*** called the cops who showed up and told him that technically it was illegal, and the old goat went off. "I have lived her 65 years... blah blah blah... f*** them, I am gonna shoot these woodchucks, blah blah". Cops left and came back 20 minutes later and I thought old Lester was gone. Instead of chrome bracelets, they gave him a box of 22 quiet.
But my favorite story was in the Brockton Enterprise. A woman called to report her aging father's handgun missing or stolen. She discovered it missing from his lock box when she was at the house cleaning up. The cops showed up to file the report and the old timer was surprised. He led the cops to his bedroom where he lifted his pillow and retrieved his loaded 1911. "Right where he left it"
The cops informed him about storage laws and agreed with him when he said it was kinda stupid to have to leave your gun locked up if you ever need it. They told him to have a nice day.

When I first got my ltc, the officer that handed me the application said, " On this line write 'All Lawful Purposes' ". He also told me that as long as a person is not prohibited "Our Chief issues unrestricted licenses"
At my last renewal interview, the licensing officer told me of our little town of under 6000 that he issues enough licenses to "arm a battalion"
Nice to live in a green town.
A few years ago, the old timer across the street was shooting woodchuck that were eating up his garden. Some a**h*** called the cops who showed up and told him that technically it was illegal, and the old goat went off. "I have lived her 65 years... blah blah blah... f*** them, I am gonna shoot these woodchucks, blah blah". Cops left and came back 20 minutes later and I thought old Lester was gone. Instead of chrome bracelets, they gave him a box of 22 quiet.
But my favorite story was in the Brockton Enterprise. A woman called to report her aging father's handgun missing or stolen. She discovered it missing from his lock box when she was at the house cleaning up. The cops showed up to file the report and the old timer was surprised. He led the cops to his bedroom where he lifted his pillow and retrieved his loaded 1911. "Right where he left it"
The cops informed him about storage laws and agreed with him when he said it was kinda stupid to have to leave your gun locked up if you ever need it. They told him to have a nice day.
Those examples are indicative of the "old days" when I worked for the PD, we were allowed to use "officer's discretion" without the bosses watching over our shoulders and a report filed on everything (to justify our existence).

Sadly these days that is mostly gone in MA as everything is logged, documented and multiple officers respond to everything.

Has anyone asked the PD why so many people are applying? I’d like to hear the answer from their prospective.
a quick answer to your question...go down and ask 'em yourself. i personally don't care what their prospective is and don't understand why anyone else would either. not trying to offend and bust balls here, i just type what's on my mind most times. :)

Thanks everyone, I'll keep it simple then. "All lawful purposes" won't be considered glib as a response to "why do you need an unrestricted license?"

Edit: I was trying to remember how I answered the question in Everett, and you have jarred my memory: they always asked something to the effect of "why are you applying for a LTC," for which "all lawful purposes" fit well, except the first time, when I was asked to clarify.

Wording will all depend on your PD. Some get bent out of shape seeing "all lawful purposes" on the application where others are fine with it.

My former chief absolutely hated to see that phrase on applications, yet that is what my Wife and I always put down and had no issues as we had a long positive history in town. Others would be forced to write an essay.

So YMMV and it pays to ask folks in your town what works, but the general NES population's experience may not be helpful to you.

We shouldn't have to give any "reasons", it's our Constitutional right. I wonder what would happen if you checked off the LTC-A box and left the reasoning blank?

We shouldn't have to give any "reasons", it's our Constitutional right. I wonder what would happen if you checked off the LTC-A box and left the reasoning blank?

That would be nice, but I don't want to be a test case, and if the information I've seen is correct, I shouldn't run into a hassle unless I do something wrong. I think Methuen had no denials for applications or renewals in 2017. I suppose I could ask at the gun shop in Salem NH, they must have customers from here.

A lot depends on the interpretation of the question. Are they asking why you want a license to carry, or what you plan to do with it. Those are two distinct questions. If your chief is interpreting the question as the former (why do you want it) then the response "all lawful purposes" does not answer the question. The wording on the application is somewhat vague: "Reason(s) for requesting the issuance of a card or license".

If you answer "I want a LTC because..." then "for all lawful purposes" does not make sense. If you answer "I want a LTC for..." then "ALP" makes sense.

For the record, I put down "I expect to inherit my father's collection, and if I ever felt the need to carry a concealed weapon, I would like to be able to do so lawfully"

Just their effort to turn it onto a priviledge as apposed to it being an enumerated right.

Applied in Brainteee last year. Was told by licensing officer ALP is not enough and I needed clear reasons. Ended up getting a Sporting restriction. Sigh

I renewed my "Class A Large Capacity" license this year.

I called for an appointment at my local PD, which was scheduled a month later.

CALL AT LEAST THREE MONTHS BEFORE YOUR BIRTHDAY.

The officer did not ask for any reasons I wished to renew.

The only question I can recall was if I ever lost my gun. I said no, which is the truth.

The LEO asked that question twice, a few minutes apart, but I don't believe they were trying to trip me up.

The officer took a new pic; no new fingerprints.

I was informed I was approved right on the spot. Even got a printout stating that.

After a month I called the MA Firearms Bureau, and they said they would mail my new license to the local PD on my birthday.

And that is just what happened.

Even when your local PD is reasonable, the State is not.

my friend renewed in Methuen for the first time a few months ago and had no problems. previous lic was issued from another town

I provided more reasons so I didn't piss off the LO. For better or for worse, I included things like training, competition, recreational activities such as hiking/camping.

I fell into the same trap. Eventually got the restriction lifted, but what a hassle. I will add self defense to the list if I'm asked again on renewal.

Epilogue:

I did stop in at the dealer in Salem; by happy coincidence he is a Methuen resident. Based on his advice, I just jotted down a brief justification for why I might carry. "All lawful purposes" is not kosher here. I wasn't asked any questions of note at the interview, and was given some sort of interim letter that would enable me to carry while the application was in process. Got back an unrestricted renewal, so all's well.

I guess they just want you to come up with some sort of coherent answer without foaming at the mouth or ranting conspiracy theories.

Back
Top Bottom