List of CT AWB legal semi-auto firearms?

Hello guys and girls. I was born in CT and left at 18 to join the service (active duty-USAF). After almost ten years around the world, and living most recently (and currently) in Florida, an extremely pro-Second Amendment state, I am in need of some help. Going from the ability to owning anything I can imagine, to a AWB state is quite daunting. I HAVE ready the state's AWB definitions rather thoroughly (http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm), but I think it would be great to have access to a list of semi-auto pistol and rifle TYPES/STYLES for viewing. Maybe like a sticky? I probably know THE LEAST OF YOU ALL on CT gun rules, so correct away as needed and explain WHY something is wrong please so we know. If you can add to this list, we'll have a reference we can use as long as nothing changes with the laws of course. It will be just that, for reference ONLY. I'm not looking for a list of every gun made that can be owned in CT (unless you have a lot of time on your hands and are bored [smile]), but something with commonly bought semi-automatic ONLY guns like this:

Pistols-
Cans:
-Any pistol that is not specifically banned on the CT Judicial branch Assault Weapon Ban list, or having TWO or more "banned features"
-pretty much any current normal police/military pistol is o.k. as long as it doesn't violate the above restrictions
-suppressor ready (threaded) pistols o.k., as long as under 50oz unloaded
-basically, if it fits in a duty style holster being currently produced today, you should be o.k. as long as it doesn't violate the above restrictions. If it looks like a police officer or military member would wear it on their side for duty, it should be o.k.
-Desert Eagle without threaded barrrel

Can not’s:
-AR-type pistols
-MAC 10/11's
-Desert Eagle's with threaded barrel (since the weight of this pistol exceeds 50oz unloaded)
-AK type pistols (multiple "banned" features and banned type)
-Thompson pistols
-HK/Vector 51 style pistols (since the weight of this pistol exceeds 50oz unloaded, and multiple "banned" features)

Rifles-
Cans:

-M4/AR15 style rifles, with a few restrictions, as long as it doesn't violate the above restrictions
-AR10 rifles as long as it doesn't violate the above restrictions
-FAL style rifles (NON FN BRAND ONLY!!!) as long as it doesn't violate the above restrictions
-HK 91/93/94 style rifles (NON HK BRAND ONLY!!!), PTR, JLP, CETME, etc. as long as it doesn't violate the above restrictions
-M1, M1A, M14 as long as it doesn't violate the above restrictions

Can not’s:
-It's easier to read the list of specifically banned guns here: http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm . Paragraph 1.

-Having two or more "banned" features also make the gun banned.

Last edited:
There is no reason to make a cheat sheet when the actual statute is written in pretty clear language.

There has been one significant clarification of the law. Well, first it was "interpreted" by the state police, then it was ajudicated by a court in CT. So the following IS law.
That is that the term

"Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type"
in the statute applies to only 7.63 x 39 weapons.
The court found that shotguns, and rifles chambered for any other round do not have 100% parts commonality and are not considered to be Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type weapons and are therefore not assault weapons.

Everything else is pretty clear.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

If it's not banned by name and it does not exceed the feature count then it's legal to own in CT. If it is or does then it's not.

Agreed, but the logic can get a little twisted around those two items. (Named ban list and evil feature list) For example, a Ruger mini 14 with a folding stock is banned by name. So all of them are now AWs in CT.
Yet a folding Mini 30 is not named, so pre-ban versions are not AWs.

As I said the AKs have been pretty well straightened out.

I guess one last point to the OP is that you will often read on other boards that a pre-ban receiver needed to be built into a complete firearm by the ban date. That is not the case in CT.

Confused yet?

Agreed, but the logic can get a little twisted around those two items. (Named ban list and evil feature list) For example, a Ruger mini 14 with a folding stock is banned by name. So all of them are now AWs in CT.
Yet a folding Mini 30 is not named, so pre-ban versions are not AWs.
And to take the confusion even one step further. The actual banned Mini-14 model is the "Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only". Now what happens to someone with a regular Mini-14 Ranch Rifle (with flash hider) and they decide to stick a folding stock on it? Does that Mini-14 now magically become a Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model?

These ridiculous cosmetic restrictions only leads to confusion on both the gun owners part and the LEO's part when they see one. I got hassled numerous times at the range for a flash hider on a pre-ban Mini-14 Ranch Rifle during the Fed ban years.

The funny thing is that I've spoken with the state police in middletown where the special licensing and firearms group is located. The trooper there said they do not attempt to enforce the ban actively simply because it is a mess.
He pointed out to me that all that could change though with a new Attorney General.

I originally called to get somone who I could quote regarding having a pre-ban and a post ban in the same home. The CT AWB includes some constructive intent language. So almost by definition if I have a preban gun
with all the evil features next to a post ban neutered gun in the safe, one could surmise that I would have "any combination of parts from which an assault weapon . . .may be rapidly assembled "
i.e. take pre-ban upper of your legal pre-ban lower and put it on post ban lower and you now have an illegal AW in CT.

He laughed and said that he had never thought of that.

Last edited:
I think the trickiest parts of CT law are the pistol provisions. When you get something a little offbeat like a Ruger Charger or the Bounty Hunter, it's hard to figure.

The thing about the CT AWB is that it's such bad law that both pro-gun and anti-gun folks should want to do away with it. It certainly has no effect on public safety. I guess the antis think it can do no harm, but that's false. It keeps a couple officers busy doing something no-so-useful, and we may be paying to store some folks in jail for a bayonet lug violation.

Agreed. Although there have only been two prosecutions to the best of my knowledge on the AWB.

The first was someone who essentially asked to be arrested. This was used for the NRA's challenge to the law. Which they lost.

The second was State of CT v. Hilton Boswell. It seems the scumbag brought his AK into a restaurant, then was surprised when some people showed alarm. The idiot then tried to hide it in the woods.
His was the basis for the case law that allows AKs in any other caliber than 7.63x39.

Hope this helps.

"I suggest you review this with your attorney. "-you first, lol. If I was going to do that (and could afford to do that) I would happily share the info. Problem being, NO ONE wants to go on record (including attorney's I'm sure). Dcmdon nailed it right on the head. I can get really confusing for the "tactical" style guns. That's probably why the cops don't want to touch it either.

Actually, thats what you pay an attorney for. An Atty will give you an opinion. But remember that its his opinion and has no weight of law.

In fact, nobody's opinion has any weight of law. Not the Atty General's, not the DPS', the only opinion that has any weight of law is one rendered by the judiciary as part of a trial.

Don

" (v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;"

That is an exceptionally troubling portion of the statute... What does that mean, exactly? Is an AR a semi version of M16? This list of possibilities goes on and on.... ughhhh. The SLFU seems to be very reasonable in their thus-far application of the AWB, IMHO.

You are worrying about nothing.

This is meant to include firearms where there is parts interchangeability. If you've ever looked at the insides of an AR or AK in both semi and full auto versions, they very different firearms.

The reality is that this means nothing. Because the ATF considers any firearm that will readily accept full auto fire control parts to be a machine gun. As such it is either registered as such with both the feds and the state or it is already illegal. If you take an AR15 receiver and do the necessary minor machining so that it will accept M16 fire control parts, you have just made a gun that would be applicable to the section of the law you cited. Unfortunately for you, you have also just committed a felony under federal law. (Unless you have an 07 FFL and a SOT)

Don

Back
Top Bottom