Linsky racked up $154,000 in unpaid federal taxes

I have been going through a lot of tax crap the last 2 years dealing with some trusts and complicated investments as part of closing out my parents estate. I have been fighting with the Feds and State over the actual amount of taxes due. The state was much more aggressive than the Feds in coming after me. I will tell you up front they sent the bills and even though I disagreed with them I paid them. The penalties for underpayment and interest on everything owed adds up real damn fast.

I have appeals filed with both. I'll be damned if the state didn't agree with me (actually my CPA because he did all the work) on 2 of the 4 appeals and send me a check in the mail. I actually spoke with the rep from the state DOR and she told me if you pay and appeal you stand a chance of winning. If you don't pay and appeal chances are it's not going your way.

Not that easy:
  • OICs must be accompanied by a payment of 20% of the IRS "asking price" - so much to settling for ten cents on the dollar.
  • They are granted for only 3 reasons:
    • Doubt as to oweability - is there a chance the taxpayer could win a court appeal?
    • Doubt as to collectability (not just current assets, the IRS looks at future expected earnings as well)
    • "Efficient administration of tax policy" whatever that means

How recent is that???? If I were a deadbeat debtor, the last thing I'd want to do is send any $ WITHOUT getting something reducing my debt load in writing.

While I have never seen anyone settle for pennies-on-the-dollar, I've also never seen anyone send $ with an OIC. But my last was. . . 20 years ago. People who need an OIC are NOT good investment clients. For obvious reasons.

But I had one woman back then. She owed $15K or so. She just didn't pay her taxes. Like, ever. Self employed and decided she didn't want to. Very strange.

Anyhow, her IRA's amounted to $50-60K. More than enough to satisfy the lien even after penalties and such. She tells the IRS in an OIC that she's got NO money and she can't pay. They settled for about $3K. She had that in her checking account. They didn't even clean her out. I was all ?????

I talked to my CPA about it after. He said she was likely a serial OIC and they had her # and just never wanted to deal with her so they settled every 3-4 years. ROFL!!! F'ing hte IRS. It takes a special person.

In the 80’s I was an Instructor in a Voke-Tech Night Adult education course. First couple of years I never got a 1099 from the district for it, we got a raise in the 3rd or 4th year, and I never gave it any thoughts. Did my taxes early February as I usually do. Maybe a week or so goes by and in the mail is a 1099 from the Regional Voke. I guess I shouldn’t have ignored it. IRS and Mass DOR both sent Demands for the additional taxes and penalties . Pretty much ate up most of what I netted from a 10 week, 30 hour second job. Mass DOR was way more difficult to deal with than the IRS .

Last edited:
If only this would be used against him politically by a Democratic rival. Linsky is in that elite category of Democratic politician where you could hardly do much worse, even with another Democrat. And one can't even wait him out. The guy seems to have settled on his forever job.

he's just a typical pos liberal pol, with little if any ethics in his bank acct. and probably looking for a sugar daddy.

Payment plans with the IRS only stop harassing letters.

The interest charges are so high you will never pay off the debt.

Ask me how I know.

Back
Top Bottom