Linked .308 Rounds?

I just put together a 1919a4 browning, and need to find ammo to feed it. Should I use medal linked ammo or cloth looped belts, which one works best and why? Also, I am having a hard time finding cheap linked .308 rounds, I live in FL, so I can shop online. Can you guys point me in the right direction thanks.

Mark

Ya I was trying to find that portuguese surplus linked ammo but everybody online is out of stock? Also, can you link the ammo by hand with the metal links and/or cloth belt or you have to use a 200 dollar linker?

We have some of the .308 linked and it's linked for the MG42 we believe. You could link by hand, but it'll be very time consuming. Buy the linker and spend an hour linking up belts. I love linking belts because I know it'll be tons of fun de-linking them. [smile] [mg]<(on a tripod)

Link them yourself. Not that hard unless you are going to shoot a lot of ammo. I assume it's semi auto.

If you buy the loose links make sure you get the right ones. The later inks only fit the newer machine gusn (M60? links).

Cloth belt works OK but can be tough to fill if it is "new".

I just put together a 1919a4 browning, and need to find ammo to feed it. Should I use medal linked ammo or cloth looped belts, which one works best and why? Also, I am having a hard time finding cheap linked .308 rounds, I live in FL, so I can shop online. Can you guys point me in the right direction thanks.

Mark

You're likely going to have a much harder time finding linked .308 ammo - than you are just finding .308 (7.62x51) ammo on it's own - and then finding the links to put it together.

The cheaper way to go is use the metal links and get a linker. The early USGI links only work well with 30.06. What you want to look for is the "Izzy" (Israeli) .308 links - which will work with 30.06, .308, and 7.62x54R. You can get a plate style linker to load up the metal links for like $125.00 or so. There's lots of places that sell the metal tray style linkers. I would check out www.1919a4.com for some good sources. If you can't find any - let me know - I can dig out some info for you.

You can also use the cloth belts to feed the 1919a4 - it's easier to load a cloth belt by hand than it is the metal links (instead of using a linker) - but it's still a pain. A linker for cloth belts - is like $1000, and they are hard to come by. This is a good part of the reason why people just use the metal links.

This
5f999346.jpg

plus that
2347176b.jpg

makes that
5ad8cd51.jpg

Link them yourself. Not that hard unless you are going to shoot a lot of ammo. I assume it's semi auto.

If you buy the loose links make sure you get the right ones. The later inks only fit the newer machine gusn (M60? links).

Cloth belt works OK but can be tough to fill if it is "new".

Here's just one place that sells the Israeli .308 links:

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/products/308-7-62x51-1919a4-links-israeli-military-1000.html

There's plenty of others.

The M60 links will apparently not work in the 1919a4 - without some modification:
http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?37329-Link-Question-M60-links-in-1919a4

Probably not worth the effort - especially since the correct links for the 1919 are commonly available.

Here's a guy on 1919a4.com - who's selling a linker and a bunch of links:

http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?44336-Model-1-sales-linker-W-links&highlight=linker

Ohio Ordnance sells a 1919a4 linker for $190:

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Parts/Links_Belts_Loaders.cat

There's a number of other places that sell them too.

- - - Updated - - -

This
5f999346.jpg

plus that
2347176b.jpg

makes that
5ad8cd51.jpg

That's for an MG3 or MG42 - he's going to have hard time feeding that thru a 1919a4

[grin]

- - - Updated - - -

If u take some measurements you could just draw your own print and have it made . Heck of ur in mass I'd make u one if I could shoot it.

If you want to go down that route - check out 1919a4.com - I know people have posted the prints for making .308 linkers there before.

If u take some measurements you could just draw your own print and have it made . Heck of ur in mass I'd make u one if I could shoot it.

You may not want to make your own. Emory has a patent on it,
Legal Notice "All Crankfire Systems Gatling type Secondary Fire Control units, components and design features are covered by U.S. Patent #7,103,999 B2. Other Patents Pending."

- - - Updated - - -

That's for an MG3 or MG42 - he's going to have hard time feeding that thru a 1919a4

[grin]

That's what I have also. It does de-link by hand very easily.

Ya may want to reconsider .308 (7.62 x 51) and change your barrel to an 8mm. That ammo is more available and less expensive. We've got one of those ammo eaters here and when .308 was cheap and plentiful, there were no issues about shooting 1000 rounds in a day. We also use metal links, btw. They feel just fine and it's easy to link the ammo into them. But, with all the .308 surplus just about disappeared, we're converting to 8mm.

Just a suggestion.

Rome

If I don't sell them I'm not breaking laws right? Lol . I made one for a paint ball gun before that was fun lol.

That could be wicked bad juju for you. See below.

your right I read the website wrong, but they are still hard to find one and they are expensive.

Nicole dealt with Emory directly as he doesn't sell any other way. After installing and trying it, a couple of small adjustments and it works great.

I believe if you do not copy the patent exactly your ok.

Still can be a patent infringement. You'd have to read the ENTIRE patent as he may have it cover more than what is described for the Crank Fire we have.
Plus he has other "Patents Pending", so who knows what else he has already claimed in soon to be patents. If the inventor has a good Patent Atty., that atty. has made the application/patent encompass more than what we have.

Example: You have invented the concept of a nail. Your application would include descriptions of every type of nail with regards to materials, color, shape, strength, pupose, etc. You choose to sell only 16 penny nails but your patent covers ALL nails.

Then again they don't really mean much , as long as you don't sell some thing you can freely make a counterfeit part for personal use....

Look up how many there are for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Or for walking and you'll have trouble not falling on the floor lol.

Then again they don't really mean much , as long as you don't sell some thing you can freely make a counterfeit part for personal use....

Depends on how strong the patent is and if the patent owner wants to pursue the violation. Just making your "conterfeit part" violates a patent. Unless you can prove the "personal use" is for research, you're violating the patent. Hope your bank account has enough money for atty. fees.

Look up how many there are for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Or for walking and you'll have trouble not falling on the floor lol.

I won't tell anybody, if one happens to show up on my 1919.[smile]

I always thought patents / copy rights only protected from using some one ideas for profit .... Copying / resale etc etc. didn't realize it would percent some one from making something for there own use...

Back
Top Bottom