• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Linda Hamilton

For those of you not familiar with this case, Linda Hamilton was being harassed by a truck driver. All she did was show him she was armed. The truck driver was able to call the police before she could, and to make a long story short, the judge threw the book at her. I just found out that she's dead, and I'm angrier than I have ever been in my life, and for a number of reasons. But for the grace of God this could be anyone of us. She found no peace in life after that, maybe now she can rest. May the Supreme Being hold and comfort her family. Below is a comment from a friend of hers.

Linda Hamilton, RIP

# Saturday, June 25, 2005

# Springfield Republican - Linda Hamilton, 1946 - 2005 - an obituary. Full text:

SHELBURNE FALLS - Linda L. (Malone) Hamilton, age 58, of Shelburne Falls, died Monday June 13, 2005 at home. She was born on Aug. 17, 1946 in Chicago, IL and grew up in Rochester, NY. She worked as a nurse anesthetist at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford and at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield. She graduated from Baystate Nursing School in 1968. She is predeceased by her father, Sydney Watson. She leaves her mother, Flora (McKinnin) Watson of Rochester, NY; her husband, Russell Hamilton of Shelburne Falls; a son, Brian Malone of Springfield; a daughter, Kathy Malone of Chicopee; a sister, Elizabeth Herbert of Rochester; a granddaughter in Vermont; 2 nieces, 1 nephew, and several aunts and cousins in California. A memorial service will be held on Friday, June 24, 2005 at the Grise Funeral Home, 280 Springfield St., Chicopee from 4-6 p.m. Donations may be made in her memory to Lorraine's Soup Kitchen, 35 Center St., Chicopee 01013. Published in The Republican from 6/22/2005 - 6/23/2005.
I talked with Linda's husband, Russ, a week ago Thursday (June 16). He told me that she killed herself. I've been waiting to see the public announcement before saying anything. As you may remember, I met Linda and Russ at a rally at the North Adams, Massachusetts courthouse on April 11, 2000. I have chronicled her case since then at billstclair.com/LindaHamilton. I haven't seen Linda or Russ in quite a while, though I've been posting occasional articles. But I care about them. I sobbed for a while after talking with Russ. I didn't go to the memorial service. Russ told me that Linda didn't want a service. Guess her daughter decided to have one anyway. Well, funeral services are for the survivors, not the dead, but I wanted to honor Linda's wishes. I'm not angry any more. Just sad. But I wrote the following letter, which I intend to mail soon, after I get some ink for my printer.

25 June, 2005
Alfred A. Barbalunga
Presiding Justice
Pittsfield District Court
24 Wendell Avenue, P.O. Box 875
Pittsfield, MA 01202-875

Mr. Barbalunga:

In late January of 2001, you found Linda Hamilton guilty, at a bench trial, of assault with a dangerous weapon, for the "crime" of holding her licensed handgun in her hand against her steering wheel while escaping from a crazed truck driver. You were quoted in the Berkshire Eagle as saying to her, "With the right to bear arms comes a responsibility. You acted irresponsibly. You are not the kind of person who should carry a gun." Bullshit. Linda used her handgun for precisely its lawful purpose, to defend her life. She fired no shot. She didn't even take it out of its holster. Any decent judge would have laughed the charges out of his courtroom. I gave her a medal. You convicted her of a crime.

Linda Hamilton killed herself on June 13, 2005. Her obituary appeared in the Springfield Republican on June 22 and June 23. She had been fighting the travesty perpetrated by you and other members of the Massachusetts "justice" system since her trial began in North Adams back in April of 2000. Linda worked as a nurse anesthetist. Your conviction tossed her nursing license in the garbage and took away her livelihood. Shame on you, sir. Shame.

I doubt you really care about what happens to the people whose lives you rend asunder. But I had to let you know about one good person for whom you dug a grave.

With a judge's robe comes a responsibility. You acted irresponsibly. You are not the kind of person who should sit on the bench.

Sadly,

William W. St. Clair, Jr.

Sorry about the loss of your friend Lynne. Prayers and sympathies for the family. Sounds like it was a needless loss. [cry]

MrsWildweasel said:
Sorry about the loss of your friend Lynne. Prayers and sympathies for the family. Sounds like it was a needless loss. [cry]

I didn't know her, Mrs. W., however I knew of her. Most folks active in fighting this damn state and it's communist attitude knew her story. I actually had to pop a nitro pill after reading about it. And it was more needless than you know, but thanks.

Where do you draw the line between "brandishing" and "self defense"?

It just doesn't make sense to me. If I were in the same situation, where I was being physically initimidated by a man, be it in a car, or in person, if I feared for my life why should I have to hold back from letting him know that if he continues I will be forced to defend myself?

God this country's lawmakers can be disgusting...

That poor woman.

Tony, no . . . only the name is the same.

Jen, you're not allowed to use a gun (legally) to "warn" someone off. If you draw it you MUST be legally justified in using it at that time (belief that you were under imminent threat of serious bodily harm/death) and you should use it if at all possible.

She had this a**h*** barreling down on her bumper with an 18-wheeler IIRC. Honestly even if she had shot at him, she'd never be able to get an angle to hit anyone in the cab. She might have hit his radiator, which would likely cause no immediate damage.

I too am sorry for this los of what seemed like a fine woman. Also, very well put, to the point letter you wrote. Wether it has any effect on this judge may never be known, but it'll at least make the jerk think. maybe it'll keep another innocent person from losing thier freedom and livelyhood. well done.

Ain't the commonwealth grand [wink]

Sad thing is the severe Double Standard this state has. Linda get the book thrown at her for the mere display of a firearm against an obvious threat. Yet, recently I heard of a phamicist who stated he fired "Warning Shots" to deter a burgler and was deemed a hero. How can one violation of the rule Len stated above (which I agree is the rule - no use, even a display of a gun unless justified in shooting) result in a complete ruin of a life and another be treated as a hero?

Justice? Try telling that to Linda's family.

Chris said:
Justice? Try telling that to Linda's family.

Exactly - and they were also victims. Once again folks - I did not know Linda personally. I only knew *of* her and her ordeal, but I felt a kinship with her.

I also wonder if that truck driver knows about her end or what she went trough before. If he does, how does he sleep at night? I have to stop...I'm getting cranked up again....

I knew Linda and Russ both, even donated to them to help them finance their fight. They got little help from the Progun Groups. As I recall the NRA was less than helpful, the same with GOAL and GOA.

It is so very bad to know you are right and to be so badly castigated. Linda could not get past that and was destroyed by it. May the Lord have mercy on her soul.

There is a very bitter lesson here for all Massachusetts gun owners. It is a Catch 22 and you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. One thing is very obvious, those who have the financial backing are more likely to win. Linda and Russ were ordinary folk with very little money to fight this. Had they had the backing of the NRA or GOAL the outcome might have been different and Linda might still be alive.

Gaffer said:
I knew Linda and Russ both, even donated to them to help them finance their fight. They got little help from the Progun Groups. As I recall the NRA was less than helpful, the same with GOAL and GOA.

It is so very bad to know you are right and to be so badly castigated. Linda could not get past that and was destroyed by it. May the Lord have mercy on her soul.

There is a very bitter lesson here for all Massachusetts gun owners. It is a Catch 22 and you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. One thing is very obvious, those who have the financial backing are more likely to win. Linda and Russ were ordinary folk with very little money to fight this. Had they had the backing of the NRA or GOAL the outcome might have been different and Linda might still be alive.

You're absolutely correct, Gaffer...which is one of the reasons I'm so damn PO'd about this. Her death was a waste and my heart goes out to her and her family. There is NO FLAMING REASON why she could not have been backed more by certain organizations. I'm treading lightly here because I used to be a board member to one of them. Please note "used to be", and I'll stop now before I type something I may regret later.

Back
Top Bottom