• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Limits of Carrying INSIDE Apartment With Restricted LTC

crispnipz

NES Member
Hi all,

I live in a shitbox town (Medford) and have an LTC-A with the Target and Hunting Restriction. My understanding is that part of the definition of this restriction includes "for protection in the home" or something to that effect, although to my knowledge, the interpretation is also up to the CoP of the town. I take this to mean that I am good to carry my firearm within the confines of my apartment.

So here's my question: Does MGL have a specific definition of apartment WRT this scenario? In other words, are the shared hallways, driveway, roof (which is accessible), front porch, etc...included in the areas I'm allowed to carry, or am I strictly limited to inside the portion of the building I am leasing?

This being Mass, I'm assuming that stepping over the threshold of my door into the shared hallway/stairwell would be a violation of the restriction. Does anyone have any experience of knowledge about this? Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched!

Concealed means concealed.

Other than that I think you’ll find answers which are ambiguous at best, and any interpretation by a MA authority would not be in your favor.

I would think even an FID card would cover you within the confines of your 4 walls.
Feel free to walk around naked in your own home with your firearm... no wait... now i cannot get the visual out my head. Damn!

You answered you own question. Common areas are not your home. They are common.

You answered you own question. Common areas are not your home. They are common.
Correct. Restricted usually means only areas you personally control inside the 4 walls of your home/apt, not any common area. If your chief thinks differently have him give it to you in writing.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if a firearm is used in self defense the restrictions will be a minor issue

Back
Top Bottom