• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

lil gun powder recall

greencobra

NES Member
was anyone aware there was a recall on lil' gun a few years ago? i wasn't and recently pretty damn near blew up a ruger nm blackhawk working up loads in 45 colt from a pound i bought by accident a while back. yeah, don't know why i asked for it, must have read an article somewhere and had the name on my mind. never used it before and never wanted to try it frankly. found some pistol data for it and didn't want to waste it, sooo.

from reading the hodgdon recall documents, the factory somehow filled pound bottles of lil' gun that had lil' gun mixed with another powder producing extremely high pressures. i have never experienced recoil, noise and smoke like that before, thankfully i was shooting a ruger. i'm just sayin', holy shit, that ruined my day. i pulled the remainder of the loads to make sure i didn't screw up and over charge, they were correct and well within published data.

i going to call hodgdon today or tomorrow.

Glad you’re ok. Didn’t know about this recall either but don’t use that powder. Stay safe and please keep us informed as to what hodgdon says. Go spend that power on the backyard. No need to have it around and possibly use it again.

Was not aware of any recall....what a dangerous screw up by them...yikes.
neither was i. i copied the notice, it's below. but damn, it's from '03. i'd guess i bought the powder 5-6 years ago and as i said, don't know why, never used it, never wanted to try it. it sat in my powder locker all this time. so i guess there are a few stray bottles left in the wild but damn, that's a long time for any powder to sit on a dealers shelf. pulling bullets sucks!

PRODUCT RECALL

April 11, 2003

HODGDON POWDER COMPANY, INC.
SMOKELESS POWDER

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: LIL' GUN® SMOKELESS POWDER – 1 LB. CONTAINER, LOT NUMBER: 103080221

lg1b.jpg
WARNING: Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has determined that a small number of one pound (1 lb.) containers of Hodgdon’s LIL' GUN smokeless powder may create excessive pressures in firearms when loaded in cartridges and/or shotshells using standard loading data. Such a condition, if present, may cause personal injury to the user and/or bystander and damage to the firearm. Users should immediately cease using this product and return it to Hodgdon Powder Co. as instructed below:

RETURN OF PRODUCT AND REPLACEMENT:
All persons in possession of Lot #103080221 of Hodgdon’s LIL’ GUN – 1 lb. containers of smokeless powder should immediately call 1-800-622-4366 (toll free) for instructions from Hodgdon’s Customer Service Dept. as to the return of this product.

Hodgdon will send you a D.O.T. approved return shipping carton at no cost to you for use in returning the product. We will also send you a replacement product at no charge.

You may find the lot number on the sticker on the bottom of the powder bottle.

Wow. I’ll check mine later but am pretty sure it’s fine. Been using it for .50 beo

need to go check the two unopened ones I have. I know the opened one is good since that's almost gone but I'm running real hot 357 mag loads in a lever gun with it so I don't need no surprises! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom