• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Light recommendation for shotgun

napoleon1815

NES Member
Hey all,

I am finally at the accessorizing point with my HD shotgun and want to get a rail mounted light. Really confused, and it's easy to get analysis paralysis with it. I heard Surefire is the way to go. Looking for something $200 or under (I guess I would consider more if something was really worth it...but the shotgun was 450 or so). Also, are pressure switches the way to go?

Thanks.

Last edited:
SureFire is (or, has historically been) pretty much the gold standard in weapon lights.

That said, Streamlight makes a solid light. I've had a streamlight TLR-1 on my AR for a couple years now, with no issues.

Pressure switches....it depends on where your light is mounted. If you have the light mounted on a barrel clamp or something like that, pressure switch on the foreend is a good idea.

Or, if you have your light on the foreend, it's not really necessary.

Surefire 6PX Tactical Single Output LED Flashlight, aluminium body & head, pre-focused 320-lumen beam, single output via clicky switch (Press for momentary, click/stay on) on the base. Bright enough to disorient / blind even in daylight, will fit on a 1" rail mount.

I have three, one for the AR, Shotgun and the 6PX Tactical Defender (crenelated bezel) for the belt / bedside table.

I used to " chase" the latest technology in lights. It was really cool to see huge leaps in technology occur and be among the first to get the New Thing.

Cutting edge Technology leaves improvements in the market as it moves forward. All of those bargain " 12 LED Utility lights for 5 bucks at hardware stores , are the result of old stock becoming outdated and sub par. A few years ago the first true White LEDS were brought to market. Prior to that they were actually blues with a filter paint on the bulb , and therefore - sucky.

But now the secondary market has brought true white single bulbs into the supply chain.

I bought a 10 or 15 dollar barrel clamp off the rack at a local gun shop.
I bought a single LED three AAA battery light , Coast Brand , from Home Depot for 40 bucks.

The light mounted at about 8 o'clock puts the tail cap switch at my thumb tip for momentary or constant 'on/off.' The light perfectly illuminates the brass bead front sight on the gun as well.

I put 50 rounds of 00B through it to check the mount and the light and had no problems.
I take it to camp quite often for peace of mind. In the dark it throws more than ample light 75 yards , which is plenty for a shotgun.

You may have watched the Maglite company fade into irelevance, they failed to keep up with the changes in technology. Then the tacticool expensive c123 lights became unwanted. They have a runtime of like 60 minutes.

People love their expensive toys. I do too. But if you just want your shotgun to light up farther than it will shoot , I'd avoid lights marketed as tactical gun gear.

Hey all,

I am finally at the accessorizing point with my HD shotgun and want to get a rail mounted light. Really confused, and it's easy to get analysis paralysis with it. I heard Surefire is the way to go. Looking for something $200 or under (I guess I would consider more if something was really worth it...but the shotgun was 450 or so). Also, are pressure switches the way to go?

Thanks.
For the price of retro-fitting your shotgun, you may wish to check out the Remington 870 MAX. Comes with pistol-grip stock, ghost-ring sights, high-cap extended mag and a foregrip-mounted light. If you are a FID holder like I am, rest assured. The 870 Max is FID-legal, even with the extended hi-cap mag, because it is a pump. Awesome shotgun!

You can try like me the fenix flashlights, although i have not tryed it on my shot gun they seem to be quite well made and the TK22 is 680 lumens for around $70 and i think the mount is about $35 or less

I run it with the rechargable packs made by fenix, but you can run 2 c123 batterys in them as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom