Licensing Question

My understanding has always been that you could get a permit in the town where you reside or in the town where you *OWN* a business. Recently a friend of mine told me that he thinks it's the town you work in. Which is it?

The law says "having a place of business." This has been interpreted as "own" by most (if not all) CLEO's.

That's correct. However, you'll find that a lot of CLEOs won't issue to someone who owns and operates a business in their town but resides in another MA town out of "professional courtesy" to the other CLEO.

Ken

That's correct. However, you'll find that a lot of CLEOs won't issue to someone who owns and operates a business in their town but resides in another MA town out of "professional courtesy" to the other CLEO.

Ken
Then it's time to sit down and negotiate. If your town is red and your business is in a green town, let them know that you don't want to be restricted. What can it hurt? Jack.

In fact there's very little, if any, definition around these terms. There is a generalized, but hardly universal, understanding of the terms 'residence' and 'place of business'. Chiefs are essentially free to issue LTCs to anyone that isn't prohibited by statue. Professional courtesy keeps them fairly consistent, but all you have to do is look at part time residents in places like the Cape. Some chiefs consider the residents and will issue, other will not.

The solution to that conundrum is that Massachusetts law doesn't talk about "resident" or "non-resident" licenses, only licenses issued to residents of a town or persons with a business in that town versus temporary licenses issued to non-residents.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom