• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

licensing question

im looking to get my MA hunting license and have a question. I know I need to take a Education course but I work 3rd shift and its next to impossible to find a course I could actually go to. Now on the website it says that the only way to get a license without taking the course is to show a license from any year in any state. Could I get my NH license (which I want to do anyways) and show that as a qualifier to get my MA license? Any input would be appreciated.
Dan

Marshfield Rod and Gun Club Sat. Jan 15th @ 8am or March 12th 8am. You might be able to do it after your shift.
Good luck getting a local LEO to issue a LTC without the course.

Last edited:
If you can get the license in NH then you can use that to get your MA HUNTING license (I presume you already have an FID or better??). All the states use the same curriculum for their Hunter Ed courses, but they have different educational networks that may make it more convenient to complete the course.

Im sorry I misread your post, Marshfield saturday is for LTC not hunting. I will ask when the next one at marshfield is and post it.

Yes I do have a class A just trying to get my hunting permit. Is there still enrollment available for marshfield on Saturday?

if you go online and it says the class is full, dont worry, show up anyways. They take walk ins. A lot of people dont show up. Thats what i did at Hanson.

You need a Hunter education class to get a NH license. If you took a class before and had an old license then you could get a MA one. but if you never took Hunter education then you can't get a NH hunter license. Any Hunter education class is good in all fifty states as well as Canada.

Hunter Ed Classes are set up through MassWildlife:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_basic_listing.htm

Some that are "full" actually have room, often a call to the club will get you a seat.

as an aside, I'm taking it with my kids this spring - I last took it when Mammoth season was still open!

I'll report back on it, to see what's changed, and what's new.

I took the hunter ed class last August, at the Auburn Sportsmen's Club. It was wonderfully well-run, by a great group of instructors. I learned a lot, and felt they definitely helped make me a better, safer hunter.

It was like, three evenings and a full Saturday. I heartily recommend taking the class, even if you have to take a few evenings off work.

Back
Top Bottom