Licensing question for pros

Folks, I'm stumped on this one, and rather than call someone, I think it has educational value here.
- A gun shop owner has an FFL but needs a state issued dealers license. He lives in town A, but his business is in neighboring town B. Can he apply for his state license in his residential town, A? Or must he apply in his business town B?
I'm inclined to believe he needs to apply in town B, but what's the NES opinion on this? Thank you.

It's pretty absurd to think that a police chief in one town can issue you a license to conduct business in another town.

/Rhetorical question/
If you have to go to the chief in the town you reside in to get a LTC because (supposedly) the local chief will know you, why would you think it's different for a license to "to sell, rent or lease firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns, or to be in business as a gunsmith?"
/Rhetorical question/

If the MA chiefs truly believe that the local chief knows you they should have argued against this law and I assume that they did not because it made it in.

/Rhetorical question/
If you have to go to the chief in the town you reside in to get a LTC because (supposedly) the local chief will know you, why would you think it's different for a license to "to sell, rent or lease firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns, or to be in business as a gunsmith?"
/Rhetorical question/

because one city/town cannot license a business in another city/town

What if the town you live in is anti-gun and you own a gun business in another town, does that mean the chief of the anti-gun town you reside in could shut down your business in the other town?

because one city/town cannot license a business in another city/town

What if the town you live in is anti-gun and you own a gun business in another town, does that mean the chief of the anti-gun town you reside in could shut down your business in the other town?

Yeah. I get the business in another town part and I agree that a chief should know who is selling firearms in his town. My post was a poke at the hypocrisy if the chiefs saying that they are the best person to know the character of an applicant when it comes to LTC's yet they're perfectly fine with letting a chief who probably knows nothing about an applicant to make a decision about a license that allows you sell/rent. If it's ok for any chief to make a decision about a license to sell, why not a license to carry? Why should it be the chief since it's obvious that knowing the person doesn't matter?

Kind of like the chief in green towns giving LTC As with no restrictions to people who work in Brookline or Boston on a daily basis? [smile]

When I took my test at moon island, there was a guy taking his test there who does security work in Boston. He lives in a green town south of the city, but was required by his company to apply for an LTC in Boston, since that is where he works.

When I took my test at moon island, there was a guy taking his test there who does security work in Boston. He lives in a green town south of the city, but was required by his company to apply for an LTC in Boston, since that is where he works.

That is not legal unless he was sworn in as a Special Police Officer in Boston. Only Business OWNERS (per MGL) can apply in the city/town they work in, employees (non-police) can't do so legally.

Many who do "security work" in Boston get appointed as Special Police Officers in Boston, so that is probably what was happening in your story. That way Boston can "control them" . . . they are restricted to .38Spl revolvers only, can't carry any semi-auto while working as a Special PO in Boston (Boston Rule 400 IIRC).

That is not legal unless he was sworn in as a Special Police Officer in Boston. Only Business OWNERS (per MGL) can apply in the city/town they work in, employees (non-police) can't do so legally.

Many who do "security work" in Boston get appointed as Special Police Officers in Boston, so that is probably what was happening in your story. That way Boston can "control them" . . . they are restricted to .38Spl revolvers only, can't carry any semi-auto while working as a Special PO in Boston (Boston Rule 400 IIRC).

Must be, I didn't ask him too many questions. I was just surprised someone would come to Boston to get their LTC - seemed like going in the wrong direction to me.

Also it is amusing that Boston would restrict special police officers to 38 special revolvers. Just goes to show how the people running the city feel the deep seated need to control everything. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom