• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Licensed gun owner aids Illinois cops in shootout with suspect; 1 officer injured

commodon

NES Member
DnBei_UWsAAbXJO.jpg:large

A licensed gun owner was hailed Thursday for his role in helping police in suburban Chicago stop a suspect who was firing an automatic weapon, officials said.

Officials commended the unnamed civilian for his actions as they stood outside a hospital where Cicero police Officer Luis Duarte, 31, was undergoing surgery for four gunshot wounds suffered during the shootout, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

We were lucky enough to have a citizen on the street there’s who’s a concealed-carry holder, and he’s also engaged in gunfire,” said Cicero police Superintendent Jerry Chlada Jr.

The chaos erupted just after 5 p.m. when Duarte, a four-year-veteran of the department, and his partner tried to pull over a vehicle in Cicero for a routine traffic stop. The driver instead took off onto a ramp leading to Interstate 55, in Chicago’s city limits.

The officers boxed the vehicle in traffic and the suspect got out and began firing the automatic weapon at them as he fled on foot, Fox 32 Chicago reported. The officers returned fire.

The concealed-carry owner then got out of his vehicle and began shooting at the suspect.

He got out and started helping the police, which is something I’ve got to be proud of,” Cicero town President Larry Dominick told the Sun-Times.

The suspect was hit once but it was not clear if the bullet came from the officers or the concealed-carry holder.

Duarte suffered wounds to an arm, a leg and his abdomen, but was talking and alert ahead of surgery, officials said.

The suspect was taken to a hospital and listed in serious condition. His weapon was found at the scene.

Illinois State Police are investigating the officers’ use of force.

I wish all cops would consider legal gun owners as back-up. My guess is the cops helped are probably anti's. Yes I am speculating with no facts to back up my statement, but more likely I am right than working. Anyway, glad it all worked out as well as it did.

In Ma. the DA would have you arrested for discharging a firearm within 500ft of a dwelling.

and the man you saved would ask you over for dinner to meet his family. Somethings are more important than Law...
Save a life, do a little time? No brainer.

I don't own guns to poke holes in paper...

I remember having a discussion in the Academy, mid '70's, concerning civilian assistance-the consensus was clearly that either the officer had to request or be asked if he/she wanted help and that the assistance had to be accepted in order for the civilian to receive any legal protection at all.

Curious as to whats changed in forty or so years ??

I remember having a discussion in the Academy, mid '70's, concerning civilian assistance-the consensus was clearly that either the officer had to request or be asked if he/she wanted help and that the assistance had to be accepted in order for the civilian to receive any legal protection at all.

That's what I recall as well, but I attended the police academy back in the late 1980s. I doubt that it has changed, but I'd welcome some newer input.

This guy probably saved more lives than just the officers'. Gunfight in traffic near city limits puts a whole lot of people at risk. The guy's car was probably a backstop.

Me: "Good Day officer. I see you have been shot a few times and are about to bleed out. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Reptile. I have a Class A LTC and currently have a loaded firearm in a holster on my hip. Would you accept my assistance in dispatching that thug over there with the automatic weapon pointed at your head. If you agree to said assistance, will be I covered under legal protection? Can you put that in writing and have it notarized within the allotted time frame? How would you like me to proceed?"

Officer: "Are you out of your mind?!?! Shoot the damn scumbag!!!"

Me: "You are right, laws be damned. I will know engage the target and neutralize the threat."

Curious, if you attended at the academy at the IGO (in Foxboro) in '89 or '90

1988, Foxboro R/I Police Academy. Chief Ed O'Leary (Foxboro PD), Chief Bill Brooks (was Sgt-Norwood PD at the time, now Chief Norwood PD) were some of my instructors. Academy Director Cliff Keeling is a good friend and Lisa Ann Reich (Administrator back then) are people I still stay in touch with occasionally.

helping police in a shoot out sound like a good way to get shot by the police.

Sadly true . . . even for off-duty cops in plainclothes.

helping police in a shoot out sound like a good way to get shot by the police.

My first, last, and only thought.

If he points the gun at me, I’m shooting. Otherwise, I’m driving away. I don’t wear a uniform anymore, and my kids need me.

Me: "Good Day officer. I see you have been shot a few times and are about to bleed out. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Reptile. I have a Class A LTC and currently have a loaded firearm in a holster on my hip. Would you accept my assistance in dispatching that thug over there with the automatic weapon pointed at your head. If you agree to said assistance, will be I covered under legal protection? Can you put that in writing and have it notarized within the allotted time frame? How would you like me to proceed?"

Me: "You are right, laws be damned. I will know engage the target and neutralize the threat."

What are you?

Half Vulcan?

1988, Foxboro R/I Police Academy. Chief Ed O'Leary (Foxboro PD), Chief Bill Brooks (was Sgt-Norwood PD at the time, now Chief Norwood PD) were some of my instructors. Academy Director Cliff Keeling is a good friend and Lisa Ann Reich (Administrator back then) are people I still stay in touch with occasionally.

We missed each other by a year. I attended the same in '89. Do you remember Lt. (now CoP) Chuck Stone of Norfolk?

We missed each other by a year. I attended the same in '89. Do you remember Lt. (now CoP) Chuck Stone of Norfolk?
I just opened my notebook from the Academy. Lt. Chuck Stone, Use of Force class on 3/31/1988 and again for the same class on 5/6/1992 for my In-Service.

Shit, if any of you see me in a firefight I'll take all the help I can get. If it means me getting to see my wife and kid again I'll be happy to say that I "ordered" you to assist.

Thanks to all you law abiding gun owners out there, we need much more of us!!!!

Back
Top Bottom