License to carry expires in massachusetts

I'm not surprised to read this, and this is the first I have ever heard of any waiver. I may be wrong on this, but it is my understanding that the 90 day grace period just allows you to keep your guns, but not to be able to purchase, or carry them during that time. Hopefully someone like Len will chime in with actual citations on this matter.

Mine expire this November.
When should I start the renewal?
Can I go 3-4 months early to avoid hassles?

Every time my license is about to expire. I receive a notice in the mail telling me my license is about to expire, and I should notify the licensing department for renewal.

I was told when our LTC expires we have 90 day grace period. Well my LTC expired at the end of February. I did go for renewal in January and still waiting to receive it. In the mean while I still carry and today I went to Dicks Sporting in Worcester to purchase ammo and they would not sell me any ammo. They told me I needed a "waiver" I was Under the impression that i had a 90 day grace period.
Has this ever happen to you? I guess I need to see my police chief about this waiver... WTF. Only in the lovely State of Massachusetts lol

Your trying to just buy ammo? Have you heard of a state called new hampshire?

3 months before the date of your current LTC's expiration.

Here's a funny one... My current LTC has a slight imperfection in it's print that makes the expiration year look like 2010, when in fact it's 2016. I can't count how many times vendors/ gun shops (that don't know me) have looked at it, handed it back to me and said something to the effect of "Sorry pal this LTC is long expired". I always have to tell them to take a closer look at the date of issue and the "6" in 2016. No one has refused a sale because of it yet, but still I've contacted my town PD about it several times and they just say "Let us know if it's a problem." Um, it is a problem!

Every time my license is about to expire. I receive a notice in the mail telling me my license is about to expire, and I should notify the licensing department for renewal.

Yeah I just received one of these, four days before my license expires. Not very useful. I reapplied over two months ago and while the application is on record with the state local is still doing backround checks.

Don't shop a Dicks.

I got my renewal notice (2010) well after I had already started the process - I applied 2 months before it expired, came in the mail the day it expired.

Absolutely. I filed mine in October for a February renewal. I filed my Wife's in February for an August renewal. They schedule us for "interviews", print, picture, signature a couple months after you drop off the paperwork/check . . . however they do the background checks BEFORE you show up for your appointment, so the wait after the "interview" isn't very long at all (9 days on my last renewal, 2 years ago).

Well I did speak to The chief of police in my town, and He was unaware of this "waiver" He did mention to me about 90 days that I had, Then he checked on my license and he said it was approved and it would probably be in with the next mailings of licensees that they will receive soon. He Did mention he could make a copy of my license that I filed with the department if I wanted that to show for proof. I ask him what was the deal with Dick's sporting not wanting to sell me any ammo His reply was it's up to the merchant if they want to sell to you or not during your 90 day grace period. So I told him that I'll just wait for my new license since it's coming soon.
Oh and by the way you guys were inquiring what they had at Dick's sporting good, Well they had buckets of 22 Long rifle's ammo I think it was 2000 rounds of Remington.. I've been trying to get a hold of some 22's for a while and I thought I was going to score some lol.

Good for you talking with the chief and it seems that he was straight with you. I'd agree with him that a merchant "could" sell you ammo if they wanted, but most won't (too afraid of everything), since there is no paperwork to file for the sale (yet!).

My notice came more than a week after my LTC expired.
But I was on top of it and already had my application in prior to the expiration date.

Oh I was on top of it too and had applied for renewal more than two months previous to expiration. Still waiting on the local PD.

I had to get my PIN # last Summer and the Licensing Officer in Raynham ( great guy by the way). Looked at my LTC and noticed it expired in mid-December. He said your license will need to be renewed......start the process early! I went to see him on October 1st with the renewal form completed and he said "I wish you came a few weeks sooner! I did get my new LTC a few days before the old one expired but it could have gone the other way.

I applied for renewal yesterday and was told to call in 3 months to check if it is in. My LTC doesn't expire until mid May and am being told the interview schedule is booked through June. So it is actually a 6 month time frame from scheduling an appointment to recieving a license. I am in a tough city to get an unrestricted A LTC so I don't want to say anymore?

Almost right. You can still legally carry but not buy/sell anything. The MIRCS system has NO ability to flag an "in process" status, so PDs and dealers have no way to verify the grace period (which requires that you apply BEFORE expiration). MIRCS treats you as "expired", period. [This was from a phone or Email conversation with Jason Guida, no citation.]

My understanding is that *legally* you can own, sell, and buy guns or ammo in that 90 day period, so long as you applied before your LTC expired.

However, the state's systems are broken such that they will barf on an "expired" LTC, no matter what. So from a practical standpoint you can't buy or sell anything to/from a shop, or using the eFA10, simply because the computers are broken. But a paper FA10 is fine from a legal and practical standpoint.

I feel safer already!

you can carry for 90 days, no purchases, no ammo, no FA-10 transfers.

Come to NH and buy your ammo if you can find it

Mine expires in April, and I cant get to the PD until two days before expiration to get my application for renewal in. As much as I am a bit uneasy carrying when I dont have an LTC with a date that is not past expiration, regardless of grace period.

Back
Top Bottom