License to carry expires in massachusetts

Sparky480

NES Member
I was told when our LTC expires we have 90 day grace period. Well my LTC expired at the end of February. I did go for renewal in January and still waiting to receive it. In the mean while I still carry and today I went to Dicks Sporting in Worcester to purchase ammo and they would not sell me any ammo. They told me I needed a "waiver" I was Under the impression that i had a 90 day grace period.
Has this ever happen to you? I guess I need to see my police chief about this waiver... WTF. Only in the lovely State of Massachusetts lol

I'm not surprised to read this, and this is the first I have ever heard of any waiver. I may be wrong on this, but it is my understanding that the 90 day grace period just allows you to keep your guns, but not to be able to purchase, or carry them during that time. Hopefully someone like Len will chime in with actual citations on this matter.

Same here, mine expired in Feb. When I went for my renewal, I was also told about the 90 day grace period, but that only reflects ability to own and carry I believe. Nothing to do with purchasing. I went to a gun store, looking around, he asked for my i.d and he noticed that it was expired and would not let me even touch the gun. Rightfully so, I was just surprised that he noticed that.

As far as I know, you can't buy guns or ammo if it is expired. Yet you can own and carry up until the 90th day.

No waiver that I have ever heard of... So get on renewing ASAP

you can carry for 90 days, no purchases, no ammo, no FA-10 transfers.

Come to NH and buy your ammo if you can find it

I thought, and I could be wrong, that the 90 grace period was for carry only. Nothing to do with purchase. And I thought that as long as your application was in the process of being renewed (up to a year), that you did not have to turn your guns in.

I'd be careful about posting on a public forum about posessing firearms without a valid license

Good advice but he still has a valid license as the 90 day grace period covers you while your in the renewal process.

I'd be careful about posting on a public forum about posessing firearms without a valid license

there is a legal grace period. chill.

Good advice but he still has a valid license as the 90 day grace period covers you while your in the renewal process.

this.

OP you definitely went a bit late. usually 2-3 months for a renewal to be processed seems to be where it's at. my girlfriend had to call several times a day just to reach someone, then her appointment isn't until the first week of MAY. mind you this was TODAY that the person called her back.

the licensing officer in my town clearly said that it was legal to carry during the 90 day grace period but he also said not to try and buy anything until the new LTC arrived.

that really sucks probably hung up. in my town I got my ltc in 5 weeks now they say at least 2 month wait.

not to jack the tread but anything good at dicks?

It just happened to a friend of mine and he was told by the Chief of Police in Chicopee that he couldn't carry, buy or transfer if it has expired. Was told that it didn't matter if it was in "renewal" status - expired is expired.

I'm not surprised to read this, and this is the first I have ever heard of any waiver. I may be wrong on this, but it is my understanding that the 90 day grace period just allows you to keep your guns, but not to be able to purchase, or carry them during that time. Hopefully someone like Len will chime in with actual citations on this matter.

Almost right. You can still legally carry but not buy/sell anything. The MIRCS system has NO ability to flag an "in process" status, so PDs and dealers have no way to verify the grace period (which requires that you apply BEFORE expiration). MIRCS treats you as "expired", period. [This was from a phone or Email conversation with Jason Guida, no citation.]

As far as I know, you can't buy guns or ammo if it is expired. Yet you can own and carry up until the 90th day.

No waiver that I have ever heard of... So get on renewing ASAP

No such thing as a waiver and even getting a receipt for your application is very rare.

I thought, and I could be wrong, that the 90 grace period was for carry only. Nothing to do with purchase. And I thought that as long as your application was in the process of being renewed (up to a year), that you did not have to turn your guns in.

90 days, not 1 year. HOWEVER no PD will prosecute anyone or confiscate if it is the PD AT FAULT for the delay! The judge (yes, even a MA judge) would have the chief's ass on a spike for bringing charges when the applicant did everything within the law.

Tinfoil much? [tinfoil]

It just happened to a friend of mine and he was told by the Chief of Police in Chicopee that he couldn't carry, buy or transfer if it has expired. Was told that it didn't matter if it was in "renewal" status - expired is expired.

never listen to the police. there is a 90 day grace period. it is in the MGLs.

Atilla is right. Said chief is clueless! See my comments above.

I renewed just before my license expired last year and the girl that took my application in Springfield told me to keep my receipt and show that as proof of renewal until my license came in. Of course I don't carry, but I think i did buy ammo during that time without a problem. I'll keep the name of the place off here since I don't know if that's the rule or not...

Last edited:
Im sorry, was I yelling or freaking out? Just trying to be helpful. Get your panties out of a bunch.
there is a legal grace period. chill.

this.

OP you definitely went a bit late. usually 2-3 months for a renewal to be processed seems to be where it's at. my girlfriend had to call several times a day just to reach someone, then her appointment isn't until the first week of MAY. mind you this was TODAY that the person called her back.

Almost right. You can still legally carry but not buy/sell anything. The MIRCS system has NO ability to flag an "in process" status, so PDs and dealers have no way to verify the grace period (which requires that you apply BEFORE expiration). MIRCS treats you as "expired", period. [This was from a phone or Email conversation with Jason Guida, no citation.]

What about a paper FA-10?

What about a paper FA-10?

Unknown. I know that the eFA-10 verifies current status and won't allow you to proceed on an expired LTC.

I suspect (never asked, don't know for certain) that the manual process of scanning in paper forms probably does not verify validity, but just dumps the info into a database.

Even so if he were to be arrested. He has documentation that he filed for a new license prior to the expiration and it was the states fault he failed to receive notice of acceptance or denial. So how valid would the states case be in court.

Even so if he were to be arrested. He has documentation that he filed for a new license prior to the expiration and it was the states fault he failed to receive notice of acceptance or denial. So how valid would the states case be in court.

Which is precisely why no PD would even make the arrest in the first place!

Well I did speak to The chief of police in my town, and He was unaware of this "waiver" He did mention to me about 90 days that I had, Then he checked on my license and he said it was approved and it would probably be in with the next mailings of licensees that they will receive soon. He Did mention he could make a copy of my license that I filed with the department if I wanted that to show for proof. I ask him what was the deal with Dick's sporting not wanting to sell me any ammo His reply was it's up to the merchant if they want to sell to you or not during your 90 day grace period. So I told him that I'll just wait for my new license since it's coming soon.
Oh and by the way you guys were inquiring what they had at Dick's sporting good, Well they had buckets of 22 Long rifle's ammo I think it was 2000 rounds of Remington.. I've been trying to get a hold of some 22's for a while and I thought I was going to score some lol.

Back
Top Bottom