License renewal?

ront02769

NES Member
I am in a green town mailed in paperwork for my renewal end of Nov. week or so later I got acknowledgement of receipt. Fast forward to my license expiring a couple of weeks back leaving me technically without. i understand that getting the request in on time gives me SOME leeway for paperwork, but am not sure when I should do I tact the locals to see what is up. suggestions?

Note: Grace period to keep what you already own, but does not allow for the acquisition of additional firearms or ammunition, nor the disposition of firearms.

Shops won’t sell ammo with the receipt (risk avoidance) or it’s not allowed? Buying a firearm makes sense if you don’t have the new PIN. You could sell firearms to an FFL I’d assume?

Do you know if it’s with your town still? Do you know the LEO in charge of licensing in your town, if so give him a call and ask him.

If you have the signed MICRS receipt before you old permit expired, you have an indefinite grace period (unless you’re denied on renewal).

I’d call the state hotline and see where it’s at.
FACT!
Note: Grace period to keep what you already own, but does not allow for the acquisition of additional firearms or ammunition, nor the disposition of firearms.
Absolutely WRONG! Try reading the bottom of said MIRCS form.
Shops won’t sell ammo with the receipt (risk avoidance) or it’s not allowed? Buying a firearm makes sense if you don’t have the new PIN. You could sell firearms to an FFL I’d assume?
No big box stores will sell you anything, stupidity. But the MIRCS receipt gives full privileges to buy/sell/carry until new LTC is issued. There is a small period of time when new LTC is activated with new PIN but PD still has it, MIRCS won't work during this period of time.

Thanks all! although Last time I was at station was to get pix taken for my CURRENT license. And given what I’ve read above,no big deal if it doesn’t who’s up soon

Thanks all! although Last time I was at station was to get pix taken for my CURRENT license. And given what I’ve read above,no big deal if it doesn’t who’s up soon
I expired during covid and they used my drivers license picture, you may not have to go in for a new pic.

How long before you expired did you send in your CR renewal app? Mine expires later this summer… starting to think about the process… did you get a renewal letter, or did you have to initiate the process?
Yah I got the renewal letter but I waited till a week before my CT expired to mail it in. Only had a few days of "lapse" before the new one came in the mail. Renewals in CT seem to be quite streamlined and quick. Apparently CCDL says even if you expire, if you sent in a renewal app you have 60 days of grace period where you can carry anyway while you wait for the new card. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at DESPP to confirm that though.

To add:
Your old PIN still works and is valid until they issue the new license.
Then, when the old pin mysteriously stops working, your local PD will call you within the next 24 hours to say your license is ready to be picked up.
HTH
🤓

You need to do fingerprints for a renewal in MA.
I've had two renewals, never had to "re" do fingerprints.
I also noticed with the new license I just got, they discarded the old pic the chief took of me in his office and used my drivers license photo instead.

I also noticed with the new license I just got, they discarded the old pic the chief took of me in his office and used my drivers license photo instead.
I guess the eastern part of the state is under different rules. Fall River and Westport on renewal new picture and fingerprints were done.

You need to do fingerprints for a renewal in MA.

42 years of renewals and I've been fingerprinted every time. However, the last time my wife renewed, they couldn't get the system to cleanly get her prints and after a while they just gave up and said they'd use her old ones. That would seem to indicate that it's optional on the part of departments.

My wife renews in Sept. CommonWealth decided to send her renewal notice. . . in April. That's scary. MEans mine is coming in August. Yikes!

Last renewal, I finally got in about 45 days before my birthday and still waited 4 months - but winter is worse for the CommonWealth. The fact that they are sending out 5-month-early stuff for September (which is usually 2 weeks) is frightening to me.

This is one of those times I hope that CA and NY and NJ, amongst others, decide to FAFO their stupid anti-Bruen laws and the FO is the SC telling them that they were in error the first time. Clearly the states are unable to follow guidelines so all licensing is unconstitutional. :). (Especially since more than half the states don't even HAVE a system for it anymore.)

The state totally abuses the licensing scheme. Takes 4 months for a non-res. Absurd. Should all be constitutional carry via 14th amendment.

Turned my renewal in on Monday and have an appointment for Tuesday to take a new picture and enter the app (so my license doesn't expire)

Every town is different - would love it if mail in renewals were done locally but once every five years isn't a heavy burden since Taunton does the appointments after work hours.

Nope.at least not as of march 2023. Plus used my drivers license photo. Zero trio to the pad.
True at the state level, but in practice it varies by town. Prints and new picture for a renewal submittal in Mansfield in June for me.

I recently renewed in my town. My licenses expire in August the state sent me a renewal notice in April. I filled out both my renewal forms from the on line forms and dropped off the forms at my local police department. I did not have to give them $200.00 because I am over 70. The next day I got a call from the licensing officer that he found an error in my machine gun licence form I apparently had an error in putting in my current machine gun licence number ( I must have mistyped a number) he told me he corrected the error for me and submitted my renewals. He also emailed the recepts to me. 7 weeks latter I received a call from the licensing officer that my licences were in and I could pick them up any time. I did not have to go in for any interview all I had to is drop off my completed renewals. Very easy renewal and stream lined process.

OK, I just renewed my DRIVER'S LICENSE.

Maybe last Tuesday, I did all the stuff online, the last step was to make an appointment at AAA. I did that. Yesterday, I went in to the AAA at 2:30 for my appointment. Did all the paperwork, paid the fee, did pictures, and about 5-15 minutes later, I walked out all done. The new license ("REAL ID") will be in the mail within 7 days.

Maybe the firearms people need to sub-contract this function out to the AAA.

Back
Top Bottom