License renewal?

good luck, hope you don;t live in the city i live in
No the town I live in is very laid back with gun licenses. No need for an interview or anything just fill out the form and drop it off. I lost my wallet a few months back and got my reprinted license in about 3 weeks. I don’t “need” to buy anything but it’s stupid I have to wait. If something comes along my wife can just buy it 😏

Worcester is claiming license renewals right now are 4 months out for pickup due to Boston .gov mouth breathers.
~120 days

thanks for the info im 5 months waiting for my renewal, ready to move out of this state
~150 days

Worthington, who only has people in the office available to process licenses once a week for 4 hours managed to get me a renewal in 63 days.
63 days

filed my renewal September 30th and got my license October 27
27 days

Looks like this is all over the place. Same state?

I started my renewal in May for the city of Boston. I called the state to check the status and August and the end of September it has not been received yet. after sending endless emails that don’t go anywhere and calling a phone that does not have anyone answering it. I finally went to police headquarters And I was told that if I don’t have it two weeks before it expires to call or come by. I have no receipt. . I am at a loss. I will be heading there beginning of next week.

I started my renewal in May for the city of Boston. I called the state to check the status and August and the end of September it has not been received yet. after sending endless emails that don’t go anywhere and calling a phone that does not have anyone answering it. I finally went to police headquarters And I was told that if I don’t have it two weeks before it expires to call or come by. I have no receipt. . I am at a loss. I will be heading there beginning of next week.
Boston mouther breathers. “Muh citizens dun need no gunz”

~120 days

~150 days

63 days

27 days

Looks like this is all over the place. Same state?
I’m going to guess it’s the PDs in each town. Most probably have a single person doing it all in between their regular role. And depending on the person working it and how quickly they want to turn it around.

I work with fire departments across the state for work and the same thing. Some get back to you next day and others are sometimes weeks

I actually walked into Boston PD this week as well. The person at the counter was helpful. She started to tell me that I couldn't have two licenses at the same time and that's why they wait until it's almost expired to issue the new one. Then she called someone on the phone and told me that mine (which expires in three weeks) has been sent for processing. Honestly, I hope that's a good thing. She couldn't say.

The real problem in Boston is the communication. If you can't process because of staffing,etc, I think most people will understand that. Create a protocol, communicate it to the licensees and execute. It's really not that hard, even with time/people/whatever resource limitations. If the vmail at the phone number said that, I might not have taken time to go down. Even a response to email inquiries probably could be automated.

I actually walked into Boston PD this week as well. The person at the counter was helpful. She started to tell me that I couldn't have two licenses at the same time and that's why they wait until it's almost expired to issue the new one. Then she called someone on the phone and told me that mine (which expires in three weeks) has been sent for processing.

Except that’s not true. Most of us have two licenses for a period of time and the issue date of the new license is the expiry of the old. You only have one valid license at any point in time.

Whether these lies are innocent or intentional, it results in legal, proactive gun owners stuck waiting for the new license to come in.

No! MGL MANDATES that the PD Mail you the MIRCS receipt within 7 days if it isn't handed to you on the spot. Of course we all know that MGL mandates on PDs are meaningless.
I am also in Haverhill. I renewed last year and had the same experience as Whacko. My only "receipt" was my cashed check. I met Detective Benedetti after he called me to meet him at the station to pick it up, almost exactly one month after I dropped it off with some woman in the lobby. He also made me sign, right in front of him, some type of affidavit about lost and stolen guns.

Except that’s not true. Most of us have two licenses for a period of time and the issue date of the new license is the expiry of the old. You only have one valid license at any point in time.

Whether these lies are innocent or intentional, it results in legal, proactive gun owners stuck waiting for the new license to come in.
Yeah, BPD is just straight up lying to people now it looks like.

dropped off my renewal application 5 weeks ago in East Longmeadow. Called the state hotline to see what the status is. Has not been submitted by EL yet. Certainly, no receipt of any kind.

In EL, you need to give them a stamped self addressed envelope as they will not call if it comes in because, you know…Covid.

Mine expired in the beginning of October. I filed my renewal September 30th and got my license October 27. No interview, no fingerprints and the picture is from my drivers license. All in all it was fairly prompt.
Similar experience, renewed mine mid-September, and had the new one arrive last week of October (current one expires in December). I did have to take a new picture and prints, but I’m not sure if that is because it’s been a couple of renewals since or that I’m in a new town.

I’m going to guess it’s the PDs in each town. Most probably have a single person doing it all in between their regular role. And depending on the person working it and how quickly they want to turn it around.

I work with fire departments across the state for work and the same thing. Some get back to you next day and others are sometimes weeks
No shortage of staff or staff time if they want to do something TO you rather than FOR you.

111 days

FLRB received it in November

FLRB confirmed it was approved in January

WPD received it this week

So you can lay the blame on both the State and the City/Town.

The problem with Boston is not waiting for a license to come in when you already have an active license. The problem is the lack of communication and no receipt. When you submit online, which is very convenient, there is no way to verify if you missed something or if it is being processed, and they don't mail a receipt in case the new LTC doesn't arrive on time. You Email them and they don't respond. You call them and they don't respond.

All peoppe want is some damn visibility into the process to know their new LTC is being processed. That is all.

Back
Top Bottom