• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Liberty Safes

I've looked through the various posts on the forum and I see a lot of different information on various brands. I'm leaning toward Liberty. I'd love to get a Pendleton but that's just not in the budget right now. I was looking for some input from other members. What do you think of the Liberty Safes? I realize they are not .25 inch steel but are they going to offer decent resistance to a run of the mill burglar?

I am looking at the Lincoln 35 and the Franklin 35. Any thoughts on these particular series? I really like the idea of the Safelert monitoring.

My budget is 3000-3500 (delivered and installed). Any other brands you would suggest at this price point?

Visit Eastern Security in Mendon and you can see a bunch of different vendors.

Everyone will try to impress you with their door thickness, but the side/back/top/bottom doors are the ones to pay attention to. Overall thickness of 12 ga is minimal; 10 ga a bit better; and above that you are getting into higher priced products. The Lincoln and Franklin safes are 11 gauge, which is minimal and will easily succumb to a power saw. But, even that level of protection will probably save your stuff from 90%+ of home burgulars who come unprepared, unless you store your metal cutting equipment outside the safe.

I'll second a visit to Eastern Security in Mendon. I've never seen so many different makes and models. Their own brand is pretty decent too. Better than anything you're going to find in the chain stores.
A video I thought was a pretty good primer on safes, not from Easter Security but a shop in Florida. You may know this YouTube channel. This guy grew up on the Cape.
[video=youtube_share;ltK-bDbADa8]http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8[/video]

I've had a Liberty (Lincoln) for about 20 years now. It has served me well. They are nice looking as well as 'safe'. The only drawback from my perspective is the the door does not come off, which would make it a little easier to move.

Oh, and I got it at Eastern in Mendon.

Some of the lower tier Liberty Safes use less locking bolts than other brands (some with no bolts on the top, or bottom of the door), but the most common way a determined thief will gain access is with a cutting torch, or a cutoff saw. Very easy, if you have the tools. A door breach is difficult and time consuming. There are better safes out there, but the $1000 Liberty will likely be as good as any, until you get into the heavy commercial brands.

However, you will be in compliance with all current storage laws.

I'll second a visit to Eastern Security in Mendon. I've never seen so many different makes and models. Their own brand is pretty decent too. Better than anything you're going to find in the chain stores.
A video I thought was a pretty good primer on safes, not from Easter Security but a shop in Florida. You may know this YouTube channel. This guy grew up on the Cape.
[video=youtube_share;ltK-bDbADa8]http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8[/video]

Thanks Enzo, this was very helpful and I've reached out to Kurt for his advise as well. Thank you everyone for your insight, it was very useful. I'm looking more into the Fort Knox line now. I'll let you know how it goes after a visit to Eastern.

Visit Eastern Security in Mendon and you can see a bunch of different vendors.

Everyone will try to impress you with their door thickness, but the side/back/top/bottom doors are the ones to pay attention to. Overall thickness of 12 ga is minimal; 10 ga a bit better; and above that you are getting into higher priced products. The Lincoln and Franklin safes are 11 gauge, which is minimal and will easily succumb to a power saw. But, even that level of protection will probably save your stuff from 90%+ of home burgulars who come unprepared, unless you store your metal cutting equipment outside the safe.

I got my three from there

Back
Top Bottom