Liberal Parents

I think the question also results from a concession that they, as parents, acknowledge that they will fail in teaching their children what to do when confronting a gun and an admission that they will not even attempt to educate their kids due to the agenda. I would NEVER trust what anyone says when it comes to my kids. Endofstory. I would assume, yet these people for some reason do not, that the person is lying to me BECAUSE IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS. However, because they live in a fantasy world, they do not train their kids because a) talking about guns makes them into killers, and b) people will tell the truth if they have guns in the house and then they will be able to keep the kid away. The logical fallacy is apparent.

answer: "the house is alarmed, so when you try it you are going to have to rummage around and hope you can get out before the police response".

maybe when asked, instead of being snarky, the best answer would be to properly educate the questioner. "I always keep them locked up tight in an appropriate safe, out of sight and reach of wandering children. If your son wants to come over to play with my son, and you have concerns, why don't you also come over for a beer/coffee and I can show you my storage." You never know, might lead to more conversation, an invite to the range.. and maybe a convert??

I'm not showing ANYONE where I store my guns, and I'm not acknowledging I have them. PERIOD.

YMMV, but for me: NOYFB.

Tony

All of this makes me think of my upcoming first grandchild. My daughter who is presently carrying the prospective bundle of joy is anxious to get to the range and continue practice, but has to wait for the blessed event. Apparently the mother's womb does not provide adequate hearing protection for the little cuss.

We could both ask each other this same question, but both know the answer. Many of the families in her neighborhood shoot, want to shoot, or have asked lots of questions about shooting. They have never once asked about where they are stored. I may move there some day. I like the atmosphere there.

Last edited:
Be careful with that advice you have there. Letting unlicensed folk touch your guns or even get near your guns in your house is messing with committing a felony. "None of your business" is the correct answer to the OP's question. Even for the grandparents.

I didn't say anything about touching. As you brought it up, what felony would that be if you did as you say? No snark here, I'd like to know.

I didn't say anything about touching. As you brought it up, what felony would that be if you did as you say? No snark here, I'd like to know.

In MA, if you let someone who is not properly licensed handle one of your guns anywhere but at a licensed gun range, you have committed a felony by giving possession to an unlicensed person. So has the person you let handle the gun. They have no license, thus no holdy the gunny. Gun possession felony if a LEO spots the person. If you open the safe, and let them look at the guns, and step far enough away that you would no longer be considered in possession of the guns, and that they would be close enough to access the guns without your ability to stop it, you have violated storage laws.

Lots of wacky things in terms of gun storage and not allowing access to non licensed people. Things you need not worry about in NH.

Bottom line is, in MA, I'd never let anyone see where I keep my guns, never mind open the safe and let them look, and I'd have to be dead in a puddle of blood before they could touch. Unless they had an LTC, then it's nothing but love.

I'd say read the mass laws board here. Fuggin bizarre, but it is what it is.

This is not accurate. How would an instructor teach a student how to clear, load/unload, etc? This can all be done in the privacy of wherever you teach your class.

BLUF: You don't have to be at a range in order for someone unlicensed to hold your firearms, or in your example above, observe them sitting in a safe.

In MA, if you let someone who is not properly licensed handle one of your guns anywhere but at a licensed gun range, you have committed a felony by giving possession to an unlicensed person. So has the person you let handle the gun. They have no license, thus no holdy the gunny. Gun possession felony if a LEO spots the person. If you open the safe, and let them look at the guns, and step far enough away that you would no longer be considered in possession of the guns, and that they would be close enough to access the guns without your ability to stop it, you have violated storage laws.

Lots of wacky things in terms of gun storage and not allowing access to non licensed people. Things you need not worry about in NH.

Bottom line is, in MA, I'd never let anyone see where I keep my guns, never mind open the safe and let them look, and I'd have to be dead in a puddle of blood before they could touch. Unless they had an LTC, then it's nothing but love.

Did you make this all up?

How does a father take his kid shooting at 16?

Yah, not a felony. At all. Or a crime... In any way shape or form.

Did you make this all up?

How does a father take his kid shooting at 16?

Yah, not a felony. At all. Or a crime... In any way shape or form.

You can take your son shooting when he's 16. You can take him shooting when he's 5. He can handle the gun at the range all he wants. You can't let him have "Access" to the gun at the house. Unless he has an FID at 16, then he can handle low capacity guns. I'm not making this up. Just had a great discussion on this in the Mass gun laws forum a few days ago. Just read the laws, and then pay attention to what some of the experts here say.

Here is the thread you want to read. Case law.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/18-MA-Gun-Laws/page44

And lots more to read. MA laws are complicated. Don't get jammed up.

Last edited:
MGL Chapter 140 Section 129C (m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose.

You can take your son shooting when he's 16. You can take him shooting when he's 5. He can handle the gun at the range all he wants. You can't let him have "Access" to the gun at the house. Unless he has an FID at 16, then he can handle low capacity guns. I'm not making this up. Just had a great discussion on this in the Mass gun laws forum a few days ago. Just read the laws, and then pay attention to what some of the experts here say.

I live in a nice quite town where all the dbags have Obama,Coexist and No Farm No Food bumper stickers on their Priuses. They all encourage their kids to use drugs, gee I wonder why all the kids in this town are on heroin and occupying their moms basement.....nahhhhhh nothing to do with your horrible parenting.

[rolleyes] this should be good [popcorn]

I should have been more clear. But you're right. Just be careful. It's the definition of control. And unless you want to be the test case, I'd err on the side of caution.

In MA, if you let someone who is not properly licensed handle one of your guns anywhere but at a licensed gun range, you have committed a felony by giving possession to an unlicensed person. So has the person you let handle the gun. They have no license, thus no holdy the gunny. Gun possession felony if a LEO spots the person.

This post is so full of fail and bad advice I don't know where to begin. Protip: Please don't bother posting about MA gun law if you clearly don't know what the **** your talking about, all this does is confuse the shit out of the poor bastard who asked the question to begin with. It's not helpful.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have been more clear. But you're right. Just be careful. It's the definition of control. And unless you want to be the test case, I'd err on the side of caution.
Recognizing that the haze of laws in MA makes it impossible for anyone to know or fully understand all of them and ignorance is a perfectly reasonable excuse...

There is a specific exemption for this:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129c

MGL said:
(m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose;

I've been asked a few times if there were "guns in the house" by parents of my children's friends.

My favorite response so far had been...

"are you asking so that I can teach your child proper gun safety while they're here? because my daughters could help me teach yours"

He (or she) can get an FID at 15, not 16.

An non-licensed person can handle the gun anywhere he wants, as long as there is an FID/LTC holder present. It does not have to be a parent. An FID gives one the permission to possess non-high capacity long guns (for instance, a 15-year old FID can have a shotgun in his possession for a trip to the range, but not a non-high capacity handgun, which your post seems to imply.

Mass. gun laws are complicated. Please do not make the understanding of them more so by posting inaccurate information.

Not being a parent myself I imagine Id want to know if my kids friends had guns out in addition to the usual stuff like an unwatched pool, etc.

Like it or not it is a (small) risk factor, but shit does happen.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I get this from my mother inlaw all the time (teacher in ma full blown moonbat) she always asks "what if--" to which I reply that my firearms are locked up without ammo with trigger locks, if my 2 yr old daughter or unborn son can manage to open the safe and remove the trigger locks than find the correct clip and load it with the correct ammo that is locked up separately I'd be very impressed.

i then ask why she doesn't lock up her knives? Or have a gate on the stairs to the basement? No fence in her yard?

shes so ignorant to anything "gun" it's infuriating lol

Not being a parent myself I imagine Id want to know if my kids friends had guns out in addition to the usual stuff like an unwatched pool, etc.

Mike

The question is: would you ask the parents of your kids' friends, "Is your pool gate locked? Is the cabinet under your sink secure? Do the outlets have covers to keep the steak knives out?"

The OP's problem is that the questions that I just posed are not commonly asked on a play-date negotiation. Why? Because people assume that the potential hazards in their home are in like condition in others'.

Please cite what a "licensed gun range" is in MA.

I beleive this is another misnomer in your post.

Last edited:
Have you watched "Roosevelt" on PBS, was he portrayed as the sickly, wheelchair bound person he was? Thank the Media! the Media, and its audience is very dangerous, VERY DANGEROUS INDEED!

It's that billboard on 128 on the way to the airport.

But seriously, show them the unloaded gun(s) with trigger/cable locks in the locked cabinet/safe. It's a legit question for grandparents.

[puke] If it's in a safe, it needn't be trigger locked OR unloaded. WTF. Stop spreading FUD, Fudd.

Show me ONE example of a loaded firearm with one in the chamber locked in a safe that injured a child.

Recently, while my brother and his family were visiting, I had taken my EDC and holster off and put it next to me on the end table. It was still in my immediate control for the panties-in-a-bunch MGL compliance weenies.

When my nephew remarked about 'having a gun out', my brother replied "This is a pro-second amendment house. Deal with it".

Best comment of the weekend.

To the OP, a direct eye contact with 'why do you ask?' would be my answer.

Mike

This "shit happening" is why you should not be concerned with the lawn tools, but the parents themselves as well as your own kid's common sense.

It isn't about the pool, the gun, the chainsaw, the lawn mower, you are trusting your kids to know better and the parents of your children's friends to help them if they don't.

Whether a pool or gun is present is so far down on that list of concerns it isn't worth asking and if you don't already know the answer on the parents, then your kids shouldn't be going.

Seriously, we need to help out the OP, we could have some good fun with this for everyone else that gets asked this down the line.

How about, "Oh you want to take the 4 year olds to the range right now? Alright I'm in....."

One of my wife's commie friends posted links from the ASK campaign on FB lately. It didn't go well. That irritates the snot out of me. In Tennessee they don't bother asking if you have guns in the house, they just ask if you've got anything they haven't seen yet. :)

I've been asked a few times if there were "guns in the house" by parents of my children's friends.

My favorite response so far had been...

"are you asking so that I can teach your child proper gun safety while they're here? because my daughters could help me teach yours"

Seriously, this is what they call a "teaching moment". Tell them they are safely stored according to MA law, and leave it at that. THEN, ask what THEY know about safe gun handling. See if they have any guns. Maybe they are testing you, because they are also gun owners. Either way, tell them you have educated your kids on guns (if true), and you would be willing to help him or her as well, if they would like. Tell them once they are comfortable, you would even be willing to do a day at the range with them and both kids ("play date"). Seriously, THIS is how we will win this war of "mindshare".

In MA, if you let someone who is not properly licensed handle one of your guns anywhere but at a licensed gun range, you have committed a felony by giving possession to an unlicensed person. So has the person you let handle the gun. They have no license, thus no holdy the gunny. Gun possession felony if a LEO spots the person. If you open the safe, and let them look at the guns, and step far enough away that you would no longer be considered in possession of the guns, and that they would be close enough to access the guns without your ability to stop it, you have violated storage laws. Lots of wacky things in terms of gun storage and not allowing access to non licensed people. Things you need not worry about in NH. Bottom line is, in MA, I'd never let anyone see where I keep my guns, never mind open the safe and let them look, and I'd have to be dead in a puddle of blood before they could touch. Unless they had an LTC, then it's nothing but love. I'd say read the mass laws board here. Fuggin bizarre, but it is what it is.

This is not accurate. How would an instructor teach a student how to clear, load/unload, etc? This can all be done in the privacy of wherever you teach your class.

BLUF: You don't have to be at a range in order for someone unlicensed to hold your firearms, or in your example above, observe them sitting in a safe.

Did you make this all up? How does a father take his kid shooting at 16? Yah, not a felony. At all. Or a crime... In any way shape or form.

I'm not 100% positive I have this right, but I was told by GOAL last weekend that, until this most recent bill was passed, that it was indeed illegal to let our children handle high capacity weapons. I guess a provision was put in to allow this now, going forward. I am not sure if this was immediate, or after January 1, 2015. I kid you not. I am sure the person who said this will come along and verify or clear this up for me.

This "shit happening" is why you should not be concerned with the lawn tools, but the parents themselves as well as your own kid's common sense. It isn't about the pool, the gun, the chainsaw, the lawn mower, you are trusting your kids to know better and the parents of your children's friends to help them if they don't. Whether a pool or gun is present is so far down on that list of concerns it isn't worth asking and if you don't already know the answer on the parents, then your kids shouldn't be going.

"You cannot necessarily make guns safe around kids, but you can make some kids safe around guns." (I just made that up.)

I tell them my guns are locked up, but keep all my paper clips by wall outlets, matches and gasoline in the play room, use a snowblower with no auger shut off, a mower modified to throw rocks at 200mph when hit by a blade, punji stick traps in the backyard for the animals, and plan on working on my homemade flamethrower that afternoon and needed an extra set of hands.

I would just answer the question with " properly secured"

Lots of people just know very little about firearms. I don't get offended but I don't get into a debate or discussion with them either.

Back
Top Bottom