Liberal Parents

Because the media feeds them constant pretend scary facts about firearms, and since they're liberals, they have a mental disorder that restricts the use of logic and critical thinking.

It's that billboard on 128 on the way to the airport.

But seriously, show them the unloaded gun(s) with trigger/cable locks in the locked cabinet/safe. It's a legit question for grandparents.

The appropriate response when a parent asks you "Where do you keep your guns?" is to pull up your shirt, exposing your EDC, and proudly proclaim "Right here!"

Make sure you have your cell phone out to snap a picture of the look on their face when you do.

Interesting that they as kids they get fire safety, stranger safety, poison safety, animal safety, driver safety but there is no epidemic of arsonists, stranger kidnappings, bleach drinkers, kids attacked by animals, or driving into brick walls. But if we taught them gun safety, we would have an epidemic of mass murdering psychos?

in all cases, education and training is seen as the key to reducing injuries and deaths, except firearms, where ignorance is considered bliss.

Seriously, we need to help out the OP, we could have some good fun with this for everyone else that gets asked this down the line.

How about, "Oh you want to take the 4 year olds to the range right now? Alright I'm in....."

Because they own the sharps and drain cleaners, too.

That makes it an "understood" hazard.

If you do not own guns, then the laws, etiquette and practicalities of guns are a mystery. Thus, the question.

Everyone knows that the draino is locked up, and the knives are put away, and that the pots of boilin water are on the back of the stove. Right?

Pvt. Cowboy - that is the best critique of liberal thinking I have heard in a while. Indeed it is a "mental disorder that restricts the use of logic and critical thinking." I love it!

Why do parents of small children ask "Where do you keep your guns?" but never "Where do you keep your sharp tools, drain cleaner, rat poison, or other hazards"?.
I inquired in the post office about protocol for shipping a firearm. A woman in line looked at me the whole time like I had a giant ballsack on the side of my head or something. To keep a long post short, the clerks do not know USPS policy or the law.

I used to be in a business where we ran "postal traces" legally and regularly had to school the employees on their own regs by literally reading them the letter of the "law." In one incident I was kicked up above a regional supervisor to an inspector in Vegas who was going to try to prosecute me until I got him to stop talking, open the book and read along with me. He then apologized, quite nicely, and completed my request personally.

In all fairness, having had exposure to the regs, they make the Encyclopedia Britannica look like a Reader's Digest, I don't know how anyone could know all of t hem...

Why do parents of small children ask "Where do you keep your guns?" but never "Where do you keep your sharp tools, drain cleaner, rat poison, or other hazards"?.

Human Conditioning and a lack of cognitive reasoning skill

I ask something like "where do you lock up your steak knives?" Or "When was the last time your kids grabbed the butcher knife and started wielding it like Jason?"

Pvt. Cowboy - that is the best critique of liberal thinking I have heard in a while. Indeed it is a "mental disorder that restricts the use of logic and critical thinking." I love it!

*takes a bow*

Thank you. I can be comical yet articulate once in a while. ;)

Actually they ask, "Do you have guns in the house?"

One of my wife's commie friends posted links from the ASK campaign on FB lately. It didn't go well. That irritates the snot out of me. In Tennessee they don't bother asking if you have guns in the house, they just ask if you've got anything they haven't seen yet. :)

When I was growing up there was one kid who my mother told me "I don't know if you should go over there, his parents have guns and they don't really know how to make him behave or control him." She was right, well half right. The kid was a menace and his parents couldn't reign him in, but it had nothing to do with guns. So instead I went to hang out with my pale computer nerd friend and we built potato guns in his garage and drove his go-kart in the street. (Super safe stuff, his parents were generally checking in to make sure we were alive) I can understand parents being concerned about the "unknown" of circumstances which will come up at other people's houses but they forget the amount of stuff kids can get into when left to their own devices. I would worry more about a parent who has 1 gun that is kept in a drawer where kids could get in and take it than a parent who is an instructor with a giant gun safe because that person is less likely to have not trained their kids about the serious nature of firearms.

If you leave a kid to their own devices and don't guide them on what is appropriate and inappropriate anything can be dangerous. I would sharpen plastic play knives to a sharp point or build a (semi)functional bow and arrow from stuff I found out in the backyard/woods but I never hurt anyone because my parents taught me that I better not shoot or stab someone with these things because once they are sharp its not really just a toy anymore.

So in closing I think some form of the ASK campaign is reasonable, as long as the question is: "Are you a inattentive parent or do you have poor situational judgement?"

But seriously, show them the unloaded gun(s) with trigger/cable locks in the locked cabinet/safe. It's a legit question for grandparents.

That's it? I keep my guns broken down and a trigger lock on the trigger assembly, in my safe in a climate controlled vault with its own security system you need to call ADT before attempting to key in the code and do the retina scan. I don't keep ammo in the house I stop at the store on way to range and only buy as much as I'll shoot that day.

Safety first ya know..

Seriously? It's a legit question for grandparents?

Be careful with that advice you have there. Letting unlicensed folk touch your guns or even get near your guns in your house is messing with committing a felony. "None of your business" is the correct answer to the OP's question. Even for the grandparents.

I think it's because of a number of reasons.

1) kids aren't tempted to play with Draino, steak knives, rat poison, or power tools as much as they are with guns because the entertainment industry glorifies good guys using guns against bad guys (I never saw Dirty Harry chase a guy with a chainsaw or Draino)

2) News Media is now focused on "gun violence", especially against children, putting it at the forefront of every soccer mom out there. Analogy is if someone went into 10 schools with chainsaws and massacred, the .gov would be talking about chansaw control.

3) Children (and parents) in liberal communities aren't exposed to the proper education of gun usage. Everybody teaches their children to don't touch the knives, we babyproof the cleaning products, we tell our kids "Don't touch my tools". while gun owners do add gun education, not many non-gun owners provide the same education. As a result, this yr in our Cub Scout Pack, we're taking a pack meeting and doing the Eddie Eagle program.

not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to understand maybe why that specific question is asked.

maybe when asked, instead of being snarky, the best answer would be to properly educate the questioner. "I always keep them locked up tight in an appropriate safe, out of sight and reach of wandering children. If your son wants to come over to play with my son, and you have concerns, why don't you also come over for a beer/coffee and I can show you my storage." You never know, might lead to more conversation, an invite to the range.. and maybe a convert??

[citation needed]

I refer you HERE: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/18-MA-Gun-Laws

But then I notice you live in a free state. So, you can skip my post and the post cited. Only residents of slave states need to take my advice.

- - - Updated - - -

I usually hand out BB guns and bows and arrows when the children's friends come over. I even have pink BB guns and pink bows for the girl children. None of our friends would ever insult us with a question like "Where do you keep your guns" And if they did, they'd not be friends for much longer.

Back
Top Bottom