Liability of single action autos.

Negative. There is a LONG history of peace officers carrying DA revolvers in holsters that leave the trigger completely exposed. All in 100% safety. Google Tom Threepersons.

El Paso Saddlery Tom Threepersons holsters

65.jpg

The "holster MUST cover the trigger guard" rule is catering to the LCD in USPSA and IDPA.

That may be the case, but I would not use a holster that did not cover and protect the trigger. Period. There's just too many chances for clothing etc to get caught up in the exposed trigger guard area IMO.

I scanned through Desantis Holsters web site...not much in the way of holsters that expose the trigger.

They had this for 1911's
http://www.desantisholster.com/1cl.html

Note the text ...

"I didn't feel my trigger finger shaking but I guess it was."
Matt Emmons 2008 Olympic small bore shooter after he accidentally bumps trigger while lining up final and what would have been gold medal shot. He shot a 4.4, needed a 6.
If it can happen to him, it can happen to you. My carry gun has a 12lb DAO trigger.

"I didn't feel my trigger finger shaking but I guess it was."
Matt Emmons 2008 Olympic small bore shooter after he accidentally bumps trigger while lining up final and what would have been gold medal shot. He shot a 4.4, needed a 6.
If it can happen to him, it can happen to you. My carry gun has a 12lb DAO trigger.

12lbs huh, let me guess you claim that you can shoot tight groups with it, right? If you are that paranoid, why carry a pistol at all?

This thread is making me ill. More support for all the AG's shit.

12lbs huh, let me guess you claim that you can shoot tight groups with it, right? If you are that paranoid, why carry a pistol at all?

This thread is making me ill. More support for all the AG's shit.

I don't support the AG's crap.

I just don't carry it for personal preference. I own 3 SAO pistols and love them.
And I can also shoot pretty tight groups with my Glocks.

That is one of my concerns. I shoot my 1911 and my thumb rests quite naturally on the thumb safety.

In any sort of situation where I draw my gun, that is where my thumb is going to go and my safety is going to disengage...leaving me a single action trigger with no safety.

OK, I give up here. Exactly what is the problem with this? As long as you follow the rules you should have trained with and keep your finger off the trigger until you've decided to shoot, nothing bad is going to happen as a result of the safety being off. If you can't follow those rules, no mechanical safeties or 15# triggers can be counted on to protect you from Mr Murphy.

Ken

I don't support the AG's crap.

I just don't carry it for personal preference. I own 3 SAO pistols and love them.
And I can also shoot pretty tight groups with my Glocks.

I wasn't quoting you. There is a big difference between a glock and a DOA pistol with a 12lb trigger referenced by the poster I quoted. Personal preference is what it is all about, but posting that even an Olympic athlete can't handle a SAO is crazy (IMHO).

Yes 12 lbs. A S&W 642 with a Crimson Trace Grip. And I can shoot 6 inch groups at 33 feet slow fire with it easily. Rapid fire I can place all shots in the black of a B-27 target at 33 feet. No safety, no slide to rack, no hammer to cock. Pull the trigger and it goes boom. If it doesn't, pull again. Still doesn't, time to reload, pullout your backup gun or throw the damn thing. I also carry a Glock 22 or AMT Backup on occasion. I am probably never going to need a defensive concealed arm at more than 12 feet away so I carry a conversational distance gun 95% of the time. Your situation may be very different. I would personally rather carry a gun that I can keep with me 24 hours a day and not have to move it, adjust it or wear special clothing to conceal it. The people that have seen me have never seen me unarmed except in a courthouse for jury duty. A small revolver to ME is the perfect concealed option. In order to keep it what I consider for myself safe, I like a fairly stiff trigger. That being said, I do not think it is unreasonable to suggest the firing of at least 1000 rounds of ammunition in the gun you intend for high stress situations. That is the minimum I would feel comfortable with to get to know the gun. I also suggest if you carry an auto, buy a matching gun in 22 or a conversion kit to get the round count up to over 5000. I carry a j-frame revolver in 38 so I practice often with a j-frame 22 and a k-frame 38. Further I think if you carry a gun daily you should practice at least once monthly with that gun or one exactly like it. I don't carry a gun to shoot target paper at leisure, I carry a dedicated defensive arm. Practice smart and practice often. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Back to the point. I do think if you are comfortable and competent with a cocked and locked 1911 and can prove your competence you will have no trouble with ND's or accusations of wrongful shootings. But the most competent man in the world with a small-bore rifle had an accidental discharge in the gun he spends 6-10 hours a DAY shooting because he was shaking a little in tension. His trigger weight btw is set for ~100 grams. But still, no one was shooting back. Keeping in mind every bullet you discharge belongs to you. And just like in the china shop, if you break it you own it. Let's be careful out there.

Back
Top Bottom